News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Workshed, Katatonia and Nailwraps like this.
  2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Hmmm. How does Warner fit in with Suspiria? :/

It seems the German Blu has a slightly higher bitrate.

3. zbinks

From a distribution perspective, nothing. The DCP's appear to have been created for Synapse at Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging.

Nailwraps likes this.
  4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

If that's the case, at the facility they probably just used WB as courier or at the very least their shipping department which should know how the handle the materials.

That's funny about the German release transfer not being all that different. Slightly better encode is a plus, but unless it's dramatic they're really splitting hairs here. But maybe the Italian distributor did a 180 and used all the recommendations after all?

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Watched it Friday night to a sold a theater for Flashback Weekend. I ended up with a rather good seat considering it was one of the last ones. I was kinda disappointed it was in English though, but understandable.

Don asked that they crank up the volume so it was all nice and loud (in fact some people complained when the lights went up?!?). He said this was the premiere of the 4-channel surround. I guess they didn't have the ability to do it for Fantasia? Maybe he was just carried away with his description. But he did tip-toe around the fact that we're not the first to see it. So maybe? Anyways, I have to admit, after all the hype about the sound mix, and Don re-emphasizing it before the show with people's voices and the scissors, I was not expecting the music to be so directional. They really isolated instruments from the soundtrack and that truly helped the music immerse itself more with the film. It seemed less like needle drop and felt more a part of the mise-en-scene.

And of course it looked excellent with the full range of colors. Not grainy at all while still keeping a lot of details. I never noticed a single scratch or blemish either. The only problems were focus which was obviously inherent to the film source.

One thing I didn't realize before seeing this on the big screen was
    the fact that towards the end the room mate's corpse had pins in her eyes. And they were even present when she's re-animated to attack Harper. Presumably the same pins shown earlier to be in the case for the razor blade from the close up. That's some nice SFX work that never really shinned before on TV.

I'm glad I drove all the way out to see it even if I did skip the convention itself. And I hope it plays again around here as I'll go again, and again, and again if I can. I realized I haven't watched this in like 10 years so I need to make up for lost time. ;)

Workshed, russweiss, Angelman and 5 others like this.
  6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

Just saw this link on another forum, looks like it's actually possible that the Synapse BD might get beaten to market by an overseas 4K disc: https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B074MJDYLP :D

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

That's just the Italian disc of the transfer that is mentioned in the very first post of this thread.

8. zbinks

No, this listing is actually for a UHD release, but they are including the Blu-Ray and a soundtrack CD in the package.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I kinda have to laugh then at those who bought the Italian discs against all common sense. Months later they release an even better disc. :rolleyes:

Say... That might force Synapse to do UHD. Don said it was possible but that they hadn't started looking into it yet (which surprised me as they were hold outs on Blu-ray). Recently they've been walking that back. I imagine the cost and headache of doing their first UHD was not something they wanted to wade into with Suspiria.

But I kinda doubt it. They've also said that international sales make little difference in the long run. So they probably aren't too worried. Only thing that might get to them is their professional pride to have THEE best release.

10. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

While this is certainly important news, I have more faith in Synapse than any other company. Regardless of your setup, what good is a higher-resolution release that's not derived from the best-possible elements and handled with the greatest-possible care? Will any other genre label devote Synapse-level attention to color timing and faithful soundtrack restoration? I'm going with "no."

11. horrorlover

horrorlover Member

wow, a 4K UHD blu ray of Suspiria out in Italy? I am definitely going to have to get that one, it also comes with a blu ray to hold me over until I can get a 4K TV this holiday season I hope. I'm going to wait for reviews for sure though, because Italy has major problems with encoding their movies for some reason, but if this turns out well, I'll definitely snatch it up.

12. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Synapse announces upcoming screenings: http://synapse-films.com/news/suspiria4k-screening-schedule/

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Preorder info is up on the Synapse website!!!!!

othervoice1 and Matt89 like this.
  14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

PayPal is fucking up when I go to checkout, must be a lot of people putting orders in. Normally I think Synapse's steelbooks are a bit too expensive, which is why I've avoided them so far, but I can't pass this up. And the slipcover with original artwork? Fuck yes. Hell, I'd even pay $100 for this movie.

FINALLY. My favourite Argento done properly.

The 4K scan is also playing in a theater in Toronto this October. That's something I can't miss. Apparently seeing Suspiria in the theater is a whole different experience.

~Matt

Angelman and othervoice1 like this.
  15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Okay it worked now. Ordered.

Ugh. It came to $85 CDN with the exchange. Lol still less than $100 I guess.

~Matt

Angelman likes this.
  16. Angelman

I got my order in, wish it was done for Halloween... but I'm not complaining.

Matt89 likes this.
  17. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

i went to their site and saw it was region 1/A, which i cannot play

this immediately saves me the dilemma of buying this, because that's the kind of price I normally don't pay for a single film (yes, i know, it comes with the OST, but I already have that)

guess I'll have to wait until Arrow does this one too

18. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Can't wait to get this - packaging looks great too. Little pricy but I have been waiting a long time for this one- ordered!

19. zbinks

https://www.facebook.com/synapsefilms/posts/1755324964495501

Nailwraps likes this.
  20. Angelman