News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ. This thing is over $80 CAD after shipping. That's ridiculous. I'll wait however long it takes for them to release a standard edition. I'm not paying that kind of money, even for a masterpiece like Suspiria.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yeah Synapse is pricing these steelbook way too high for just a single film. Hopefully with their release of Suspiria being so anticipated the standard release isn't too far behind.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

Over 80 bucks???? Wowza.

I'll tip my cap to you who preordered this. My fingers are crossed it meets all your expectations.

I am not the biggest fan of Suspiria, to be honest. I'll contemplate buying the standard release down the line.

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Kindly leave.

5. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The 4K restoration of Suspiria is coming to our local Alamo Drafthouse at the end of September. Bought tickets this morning! :)

Natas likes this.
  6. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

:D

Angelman likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Don May Jr. gave a short interview to Bloody Disgusting: http://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3453150/suspiria-restored-4k-perfect/

Nothing too new but he did explain a bit more the four channel audio and it sounds like it was English only that got this mix originally:
    So that Italian mix may never have gotten a 4-channel mix. It'd probably be considered fucking around too much with the original Italian track to re-create that. :oops:

Matt89 likes this.
  8. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

To be honest, I haven't read too much about the whole restoration process because it's been so long coming from Synapse, I didn't have the patience. I just trusted they'd do amazing work because they so often do. But wow. I just read the entire interview now.

Yeah I spent $85 on this. But now I think it's gonna be the best $85 I've ever spent.

I haven't watched Suspiria in years because every release has been so problematic with oversaturation and incorrect color timing that I never bothered buying any of the blu-rays.

It might just be in my top 5 favourite horror movies ever. It's definitely my favourite Argento (Crystal Plumage is a very close second) but it was the film that got me into Italian/giallo horror. I cannot wait to watch it again.

~Matt

Angelman, othervoice1 and X-human like this.
  9. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

I plan on putting in my order tomorrow. I recently sold my Anchor Bay set so there is a Suspiria-sized hole in my collection. Over at Latarnia, a couple of people are poo-pooing this release to some degree, though I think it's largely sticker-shock. Personally, Suspiria is one of my favorites so the price isn't too objectionable.

othervoice1 likes this.
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Open your wallets/purses boys & girls. For the completist in all of you.

---------

Now Umbrella is putting out their 4K version of Suspiria.

Umbrella Entertainment have just announced the Italian 4K remaster of Dario Argento’s 1977 cinematic classic SUSPIRIA for Blu-ray release! Tentatively scheduled for a Wednesday November 1st release, the Blu-ray will contain a host of yet to be confirmed special feature content however we can confirm it will definitely feature the 1985 documentary DARIO ARGENTO’S WORLD OF HORROR.

The transfer is from the 4K scan and restoration completed by German lab TLEFilms late last year from the damaged 35mm celluloid original which was shot on EastmanColor film and processed using a Technicolor Dye Transfer.

http://cultofmonster.com.au/umbrella-suspiriabd/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I think this is a pretty easy pass for me. I've already got two DVD versions and now two blu-ray versions once the Synapse Steelbook arrives.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

If they'd managed to use Synapse's transfer then I'd pick up Umbrella's release straight away. Seeing as the colour timing won't be right here I'll have to keep waiting (unless it drops in price pretty quick or looks better than expected, that might just tempt me lol).

13. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

The new DCP will be playing at The Naro Cinema in Norfolk , VA. on Sept. 29th.I'm going with a group of friends. The lateshow on the 30th is DAWN OF THE DEAD. October will have screenings of A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET, THE GATE,PHANTASM, and TROLL 2 .

Natas likes this.
  14. Erick H.

EVIL DEAD 2 will also be screening.

15. Angelman

I just got tix for 4K Suspiria, 4K Night of the Living Dead and Hellraiser/4K Rawhead Rex in LA at the Egyptian.

I love October.

16. Erick H.

I saw it with a packed audience in a classic single screen arthouse theater Friday night. It's stunning. The film looks brand new, color and detail are superb and you can literally FEEL the soundtrack. A great experience. If you are a fan and have the chance to see the theatrical DCP make the effort !

russweiss likes this.
  17. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

They're playing it in Durham's Carolina Theatre all week, unfortunately it's playing on their second screen which is literally the smallest screen I've ever seen in a movie theater. The dimensions are 18’-6” W x 8’-7” H, and the 49 seats in the theater are so close together that a person of a slightly above average height like myself will have their knees digging into the seat in front of them. I saw Turbo Kid on this screen and had to sit diagonally with my feet out on the staircase. So it's not really the ideal place to see this, but I'm still considering it. Maybe sit on the floor up top in one of the unused handicap seats.

18. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

There is a screening in Toronto with Goblin in attendance for those interested. Just down the street from where I live!

satans-sadists likes this.
  19. Angelman

Wow. The 7 pm showing at The Egyptian was something else. Dario, Barbara Magnolfi and Udo were there. Looked and sounded perfect. A truly stunning restoration.

Workshed and Zombie Dude like this.
  20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

4k UHD release of Suspiria (remember, all 4k UHDs are region free):

https://www.facebook.com/cultfilmsuk/posts/1831139060231298

SUSPIRIA 4K PLANS UNVEILED BY CULTFILMS

In 1977 SUSPIRIA stunned cinemagoers around the world. Now, forty years later, CultFilms is proud to terrify audiences once again with the dazzling 4K restoration of Dario Argento's groundbreaking masterpiece.

Italian horror auteur Dario Argento unleashed the ultimate cult film with his visionary symphony of terror, SUSPIRIA. Ballet student Suzy Bannion (Jessica Harper) arrives at a prestigious dance academy in Freiburg, a school plagued by gruesome and supernatural happenings. Soon students begin to die in horrific circumstances – is Suzy next, and can she uncover the academy’s sinister secret before it’s too late?

Abandoning the black gloves of the giallo in favour of a witchy brew of magic and murder, Argento carved a Baroque nightmare, saturated with expressive colour and punctuated by shocking violence.

Considered the most famous Italian horror film of all time for its vivid, groundbreaking style and jaw-dropping bloodshed, SUSPIRIA now returns for its fortieth anniversary to assault audiences once more.

***Crowd-funded limited edition UHD and Blu-ray dual-format SteelBook***
    Fans will have the opportunity to crowd-fund a very special limited edition UHD and Blu-ray dual-format SteelBook (pictured) of the SUSPIRIA 4K restoration. The crowd-funding campaign will go live on 30 October, just in time for Halloween! This will be a limited numbered edition including a slate of specially-commissioned extras exclusive to this SteelBook release and available nowhere else in the world. Keep your eyes peeled for more information coming very soon.

***SUSPIRIA Blu-ray and DVD dual-format edition***
    CultFilms will release their 4K restoration of SUSPIRIA in a Blu-ray and DVD dual-format edition with slipcase on 14 November 2017.

Extras will include:

- Audio Commentary by critics Kim Newman and Alan Jones
    - An interview with Dario Argento and Claudio Simonetti
    - New Extra: The 4K Restoration Process
    - New Extra: Dario Argento Presents his Suspiria
    - New Extra: Dario Argento Introduction

Please note the artwork is currently TBC.

***CultFilms presents the SUSPIRIA 4K Tour***
    CultFilms will orchestrate the ‘SUSPIRIA 4K Tour’, which they are coordinating with several venues across the country. The SUSPIRIA tour will culminate with a very special event in London: an evening with Dario Argento, featuring a Q&A with the maestro himself and a presentation of the restoration. Dates for the tour include but are not limited to:

6 October: BFI London Film Festival (Suspiria 4K premiere)
    14 October: Mayhem Film Festival
    14 October: BFI London Film Festival
    21 October: Celluloid Screams, Sheffield
    28 October: Newcastle's Tyneside Cinema
    28 October: Regent Street Cinema, London (35mm)
    14 November: Barbican, London (with Dario Argento intro and Q&A)
    17 - 23 November: Barbican, London

***The Restoration***
    ‘I hope that you are ready...’ declares Dario Argento in his personalised introduction to the CultFilms release of SUSPIRIA

Argento filmed SUSPIRIA on some of the last of the Eastman 5247 film stock. In order to reach the deep colours he had envisioned, the director struck the original release prints using a very different Technicolor Dye Transfer process which had already become obsolete. SUSPIRIA was the last film to be released following that particular method and all subsequent prints did not adhere to Argento’s original vision, with the look of the film affected dramatically.

The new 4K scan was painstakingly restored by TLE Films in Germany with that crucially distinct colour palette reinstated in accordance with Argento’s original Technicolor Dye Transfer specification, using period film materials as reference.

The restorers also reinserted all missing frames which had degraded badly or were simply lost over the years, making this version of SUSPIRIA premiered by CultFilms the most complete and original looking, and finally doing justice to Argento’s vision.