News of 4K Restoration of Suspiria

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Harry Warden, Nov 4, 2016.

1. SpaceAce

SpaceAce Member

A flood of Suspiria choices all of the sudden... I preordered the Synapse release and am sticking with that one.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm curious about this 4k release but I do want the Synapse release. Sadly I'll have to wait for the standard issue of it as the steelbook works out to be way too high. Would be great if they didn't sell it just through their site as there would likely be discounts on places like Amazon and cheaper shipping options for international buyers.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Steel76 likes this.
  3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

caps-a-holic has added the uber-expensive '84 Entertainment Leatherbook release to their comparison list:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c_list.php?c=2036

For anyone interested in the TLE Films 4K restoration (the one being utilized by every distributor except for Synapse, seemingly), it doesn't really look like it's worth 9x the cost of the Italian Blu-Ray or 3x the cost of the Italian UHD. It looks virtually identical to the Italian Blu-Ray with only slight encoding differences visible. Allegedly, at least compared against the Italian release, the English 4-track Stereo surround (encoded as DTS-HD MA 2.0, not 4.0) is exclusive to the German release (thus far), but again, I don't know that there's enough there to justify the significant price hike over the Italian releases.

Steel76 and Zombie Dude like this.
  4. sinister

sinister Member

Well I finally watched the German leatherbook Blu-ray tonight and it's absolutely beautiful.

Suspiria is probably the Argento movie I've watched most (on various VHS copies, the image entertainment Laserdisc, multiple DVD's and the first Blu-ray release) and I can honestly say I noticed some little details tonight for the first time. Great to see the colour and contrast looking "right" at last.

I watched with the 2.0 English track and they kept a very high dynamic range so the music is very loud compared to the dialogue, which leads to my only slight criticism... there's some hiss during the quiet parts. Considering the restoration that was done picture wise (there's a 56 minute documentary all about that) it's slightly (but only very slightly!) disappointing that they didn't clean up the hiss on the soundtrack. Maybe because it's a German release the 2.0 English track wasn't a priority, I'm not sure.

But that's the only slight negative in what to me seems like an otherwise flawless presentation. And the soundtrack is still amazing, a lot of use of surround especially on the music.

Still glad I pre-ordered the Synapse version as there's a little room for improvement here and hopefully the soundtrack will get some attention.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 11:49 PM
    Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I saw/heard the Synapse version in the theater and it sounded great.

othervoice1 likes this.