Night of the creeps

Discussion in 'General' started by zombiexfan, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I've done two custom covers for this movie since I've gotten into designing covers. My first attempt a couple years ago totally sucked. My second attempt was better, but kind of boring since I had to work with the poster with the hand coming through the door. So now that this thing is actually coming out and has less than desirable cover art, I'm going to try doing a cover for this again.

Thanks to bigdaddyhorse for providing the scan, it's my favorite Creeps art and I could never find the poster in a decent size. Here is where I'm at currently:

[​IMG]

I pretty much just put the front cover and spine on tonight, don't have time to finish it yet. I'm reworking the back totally, that was all from an earlier cover. I also have a Columbia Tristar logo on the spine, I'm going to transfer it all to my Sony template and work special features on there somewhere. I always have a bitch of a time with the back cover, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me hear them.

2. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

That's a great looking cover. You should send it in to them. Show them how it's done.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed. That looks awesome! They should gets fans like you to design covers and then they wouldn't whine a year later how no one bought it. Unless you have heard of the movie I doubt you would pick it up from any of the three covers they are using.

4. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

You're off to a great start on that custom suicide, I think I like it better than what I have. I just did a few modifications to this back cover that came with the HD2DVD custom, like put the end credits from another poster in the box with all the words, paint out the "cover art" box and that was about it.

[​IMG]

Here's a few other pictures/wallpapers that came with that which can probably help you with your back cover:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bigdaddyhorse

Here was my first custom, before getting the better scan, and the original vhs cover the back was based off:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did keep the tagline from the top front of this and apply it to the art from the previous post for my current custom, for some reason I deleted my original print composite for that one (must've been the drugs). My current also is using the poster I posted previous for the front, it has better logo placment and more picture on the sides and bottom. :)

I think the vhs art is my second favorite, but I've never been able to find a hi-res scan of it. In fact, what I shared here is by far the best version of this art I've ever found. Big thanks to Dark Jedi for not only providing the HD2DVD disc and covers, he was the one who sent me the poster art. Hopefully I'll run into him in cyberworld again, the torrent site where I met him is either gone or has banned me, and it had no reason to ban me (myspleen). I need to be better at keeping emails.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

bigdaddyhorse-Awesome cover art as well. I like how you displayed numerous versions on the back. You put a lot of visuals on it without cluttering it.

The cover with the Zombie in the window is the one used in Canada back in the Beta/VHS days.

But yeah, how did they think that the cover with a swarm of zombies would not help with sales of the dvd?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Thanks guys, glad you liked what I had so far. I've worked on it a bit more, so here's what I've done:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  8. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

That cover is coming along nicely!

A few suggestions though, the picture of the zombie at the window should be included in the picture block along the bottom, it just doesn't work for me where it is but it is an awesome grab so I wouldn't remove it. Maybe a collage of two scenes together.

I made this one long before the DVD was announced but here's an example of what I mean;

[​IMG]

Also, maybe you can bulk up the description a bit.

By the way, I have the artwork you used with no logos or water marks, if you'd like a copy of that - PM me.

9. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Thanks for the suggestions:) I've worked on it a bit more, instead of posting everytime I make an adjustment I just added the new file to my last post. I bulked up the description (that last one was what was on Amazon's product description), added credits and special features. I kept the zombie guy on the top of the back, I like him being up there, but I might try and do something else and see how it looks. I did a Luminosity effect on him to make him blend in more with the color on the back.

I'm still not quite happy with it though. I've done some covers I'm very happy with (I've posted some of them on my Deviant Art page) but for some reason I always have a hard time making a NOTC cover I'm satisfied with.

10. bigdaddyhorse

That's starting to look really sweet. I like some of your previous stuff too, do you happen to have any of them posted on any sites to download or just laid out flat to copy? You'd do well on r1db.com where you get credits to download other's customs from them downloading your customs or scans. I want that Strange Brew, Mortuary and The Blob 88 ones if possible. I kinda like the Cellar Dweller also, but am still looking for the different art which is a painting of the beast and Jeff Combs. So far I've only found this low-res version of it, which I blew up to make a cd-size custom for my laserdisc rip.

[​IMG]

There's also this alternate art which I like a lot as well, but have only found this mini scan.

[​IMG]

Sorry for getting off topic, back to the creeps (but if anyone has better scans of the Cellar Dweller art, please PM me!)

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I have the full flat covers for everything on my computer, but I don't have the full covers anywhere online at the moment. I'd be happy to send them to you if you'd like. Just PM me with an address. I need to fix the Strange Brew a bit still, it's got some really hard to clone out fold marks on there still, maybe I'll look for a non folded poster first.

That is cool Cellar Dweller art, wish I knew where to find it.

12. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

13. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

whoops...sorry---I should have back-pedaled a bit on this thread before posting what I thought was a new link...I will reiterate though, WTFF, and will echo earlier posted sentiments---all three suck balls.

BAD..

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

well, i got around to voting and yea all three covers SUCK...but i picked 3. i hope Sony will be nice and put in an insert with the original poster...i hope :eek:

15. Once again, I so agree. I once again voted for the coveted Part 1# cover, which appears to be the parenial lessor-of-all-three-evil's of the three choices given. So far, it is ahead in the polls shown on the Amazon page.

16. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Just give me a good quality DVD with a nice transfer and 5.1 surround sound.

17. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

Fuck man I knew Slippy was working on this dvd but I can't believe the covers. I will yote with my wallet and not buy it. I buy just about everything and this will be a big rip party for me. I even bought Slaughter High, damn this release to hell.

18. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

but seriously, are these really actual covers that the DVD MIGHT look like!??!?! really??? What ever happened to original poster art!!??!!?

19. Must say that is a damn fine answer. And one that I so dilligently agree with. There is simply no reason for EVERYTHING under the sun, these days, to be redesigned all the damn time. And as we see here, it's almost always an absolutely worthless cover. After all: How are many of these finally-on-DVD these days releases suppsoed to spark nostalgia with the retail buyers? I mean if you walk past the most popular cover that is winning voter's votes so far, which admitedly I helped pick as well cause it's not AS BAD as the others, then you wouldn't even know swiftly what the fuck it was.

20. springjack

springjack New Member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011