Night of the creeps

Discussion in 'General' started by zombiexfan, Nov 2, 2004.

1. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

You're not alone. I prefer cover 2 out of the three, but they all do really suck. Ah well, it's the movie inside that counts.

2. killit

killit Active Member

wht the fuckity fuck, i picked cover threee because to me it was the least shittiest and closet to the film, but they need to hire some real artists

3. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

I suppose that maybe, along with things like original music scores/soundtracks, and any merchandising that might/might not accompany a video release, original poster art might now be something of a problem, depending on what/who is/was involved...

I fully agree with an earlier sentiment, what is wrong with using the original poster art....but, and I'm not saying that this is why for sure, but it COULD be a situation where there was an artist hired to create the original images used for the film during it's initial run. The movie plays, goes away, and everyone moves on until 30-40 years later, with a thing called DVD, the movie is rediscovered...A company already shells out money to acquire rights to distribute said movie...If there are popular songs that were utilized in the film we already know that it's been an issue sometimes to get the rights to use it in the new media, because DVD distribution was never something that was negotiated in the initial artist/studio contract---of course it is NOW, but now it seems to be the same studio that owns the music division, music division, art/marketing materials etc.

Perhaps with original poster art, if the images were created by an artist who is still living, or has an estate etc., perhaps the reason why some of these images are discarded as usable cover art is because the artist or his family wants royalties for the image use if they're going to be using it for the cover...In a way, I think that's fair because the movie company is now using that image as a sales draw in a new medium that was never around before, so if they can now profit all over from this new medium, why SHOULDN'T the artists/creators of the individual elements that helped make the film successful/memorable also have a chance to renegotiate their contracts as well, especially if their image is going to be the main eye catcher on a shelf for the title???

On the other hand though, depending on how the contract was worded or what it was based on, maybe they shouldn't be entitled to anything...it's hard to say. I really would hate to think that with some of these, if a rights issue WERE the situation, that the artist was trying to be overly greedy or asking for amounts that are ultimately unreasonable to expect from a particular film's sales potential, and that ends up being the reason why the dvds end up with different coves which in some cases, are so damn bad THEY'RE the reason alone why the dvd tanks...

I dunno...I am pretty anal about the movie cover art, and I used to go to great lengths back in VHS days to acquire original poster images for custom covers if the factory copies didn't come with them (sometimes I'd spend 19.99 for the movie, and end up spending upwards of 40.OO just to purchase materials that contained poster images to craft the covers from etc--pre internet days of course)....BUT since now, I have so many DVDs I've been forced to keep them in binders that don't have proper places to put the cover sheets etc., the cover images mean a little less because they're not used for display anymore, they're just flattend in a box.

Sigh. What to do. :)

4. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

I actually think when artwork is made specifically for a film, it's licensed through that film and belongs to whomever owns the rights. However your statement does make sense. But I believe in this case since the film was technically always with the company currently releasing it, they should own the licensing rights to the poster art.

It only makes sense they'd pay the artist once for his work and that would be that. That is the way it was done back then with low budget films, residuals weren't really around for these kinds of movies and because of that a lot of talented actors/actresses got screwed out of a lot of money. Howard Sherman, the actor who portrayed Bub in DAY OF THE DEAD, hasn't seen a red cent from any of the artwork they used with him on it to promote the film. Same goes for countless other actors whose images were used on posters and video box covers only simply because back then, these kinds of movies usually didn't garner much attention for things like action figures or mass produced posters with the character's picture on it. It really wasn't till the late 80s and early 90s some of the actors started to notice the hit these films had become and all the money they had lost on merchandising.

Oh well, case of reading the fine print before signing I suppose.

5. Stige

Stige Active Member

could'nt bring myself to vote for any of these craptastic covers, I just hope the feature will be great quality and I'll make my own cover, muh like friday 13th 5-8 , happy birthday to me and so on....

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I just received an email newsletter from Sony, and it look like Night of the Creeps is also coming out on BLU-RAY on 10/20! :banana:

7. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

If they use a better cover for the blu release then I'm in.

8. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

I mean no disrespect,but what does the cover art mean in the thick of things? Us horror fans are such a spoiled bunch. We bitch for years that NOTC isnt on dvd. When we finally get what we want,then we bitch over the sucky cover art. Im not sure about everyone else but im happy as hell that its finally gonna be on dvd. Sure I would like the original poster as the cover but ill take what I can get.

9. dmeister

dmeister New Member

10. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

agreed completely

11. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

Thats the problem right there. They can do better and they know it but they know their is a sucker born every second. If I'm paying full price I don't wan't a Camero Engine under a Chivett hood, just give me my Camero.
    These companys want your money you are doing them a favour for buying it, not the other way around.

12. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'll bitch about shitty covers, but I won't be skipping something like this due to crappy artwork. In the end, it's the content that matters. I can always print out a custom for art that's just too horrid to look at ever again, but I can't get the content to make the disc. I already have that HD2DVD version but must have the extras for this, fuck a cover!

13. Fall Break

Fall Break Member

Why the hell would they even bother going above and beyond if we will just take what we can get. I'm guessing that why horror DVDs almost always use photoshoped cover art cause they know they will sell.
    I miss my 80 covers, fuck these day I just miss good covers.

14. dmeister

dmeister New Member

Give me the damn DVD in a brown paper bag for a cover, and I'll be happy. You guys spend way too much time staring at your DVD cases...

15. BlackAndBlu81

BlackAndBlu81 New Member

Im not gonna lie and say I dont miss the awesome VHS artwork. I definatly do. But as a poster above said that probably cost money to get the rights to some of the originals. Id rather have the studio's put the money in the actual dvd and transfer/extra's. You dont watch the cover art,you watch the disc.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

17. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There already was, it was called Slither. (drum roll and rim-shot).:D

18. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

19. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Looks like the DVD and Blu-ray editions will get totally different covers. I kinda dig the retro look to the DVD:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/night-of-the-creeps.html

Oh, and I guess specially marked packages of the DVD (or all of them) will have an free movie admission to either Zombieland or The Stepfather remake. You have to squint to see the label on the DVD cover.

20. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Burn.