Night of the Demons (1988) VS Demons (1985)

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Ash28M, Apr 7, 2014.

?

Demon Lover

1. Night of the Demons (1988)

22 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Demons (1985)

38 vote(s)
    63.3%
  1. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Scripts change.

Remember that I didn't call it a rip-off because I can tell the Halloween night part of the story is crucial to the film but the look of especially Angela demonized is clearly inspired by Demons and it's not a complete coincidence that so many of these ideas are similar.

2. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I've only seen Night of the Demons once. Demons has much more replay value in my opinion.

3. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Demons. I actually prefer Night of the Demons 2 more than the first, although Demons is better than all of them. Demons 2 on the other hand I am not a fan of.

4. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Demons by a cunt hair.

They're almost equal to me.

5. DVD-fanatic-9

Demons has better gore / FX, music, and visual design. Demons 2 has a better story and characters.

When it comes down to the core, story and characters are more important.

6. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

True scripts change, but I have all of the drafts of this script - and the changes were made to accommodate the budget/house. The idea of kids being possessed one by one and killing each other was always the core concept of each script.

The look of Angela was actually more influenced by Steve Johnson who utilized an effect he intended to use on THE LOST BOYS when he did test make ups for Joel Schumacher to make the vampires look more bat like by stretching the corners of their mouths to make them look wider. The sharp teeth, yellow eyes is just more of a "demon" thing. Not to mention unlike the demons in DEMONS, the demons in NIGHT OF THE DEMONS went through a few progressions in the make up where their appearance became more demonic as the film itself progresses.

The only description of the demons in the scripts were not very specific, and actually in one script when Angela becomes a demon she's described as looking like an "old woman" with a wrinkled face and hunched over body.

The ideas are similar because they both deal with the same kind of creature; demons. Whereas DEMONS itself treats them more like zombies and the demonic entity is spread like a virus - the demons in NIGHT OF THE DEMONS are more possession type demons where they have to physically be possessed by some means whether being killed or well, interacting with the demonic kids. That's the PG way of saying sexual acts people. :D

7. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Love both but my vote went to Demons.

8. Hork!

Hork! New Member

Demons (1985)

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I actually just re watched Demons 2 and really enjoyed it this time around. I guess Demons 2 has the better story, but I don't think it's a strong point in either of them, and I actually preferred the soundtrack in Demons 2 better. That being said, I still think the first film is the better film, it just moves at a better pace for me and is much more fun.

10. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I rewatched them both about a year ago, and I enjoyed part 2 a lot more than I remembered. its not a bad film at all. in fact, it's a lot of fun. I don't think I'd put it before the first, but it holds its own.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

I hear you. And that's your opinion.

But bad FX, bad music, and a bad look to a movie can't drag down A-quality story, characters, writing, etc. This obviously is not Demons 2 I'm describing, but you get my point.

A bad story, characters, or just a terrible execution of plot by incompetent filmmakers can indeed strongly cripple a movie that is artificially good. Which is in fact the original Demons. A film with many good moments, quite a few very bad ones, but not a good whole.

The difference between the two films is radically little. Demons 2 just tries harder. And I know for a fact that people stay longer with a film because they're interested in something beyond its artifice. This is in fact true with most people.

That's my opinion. The one I've also come to discover is much more truthful to the way things are. It actually applies for people who don't watch these movies and to movies they watch that I will never.

12. rift

rift New Member

[​IMG]

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Thrash or be Thrashed

Night of the Demons

14. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Demons. Easily. Hell I prefer Demons 2 over Night of the Demons as well. Not that I don't like Notd, I just prefer the Italian-ness of the Demons movies. They're actually some of my all-time favourites and most watched horror movies.

15. Vortex

Vortex Member

Demons with ease. Night of the Demons is mind-numbingly bad. Doesn't possess one redeeming quality.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

:lol: (Thank you!)

And even I was kinder to the movie than that, all you who thought I was too hard on it. Amelia Kincaid still has that dance sequence, after all.

17. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

I had to go with "Demons." I caught it late one night on cable when I was sick. Talk about a fever dream!

"Night of the Demons" is trippy in its own way but just never captured me the same way.