Night of the Dribbler?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DVDBone, Aug 5, 2009.

1. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

Code Red DVD is releasing this lost 1990s era slasher on 9/8. Originally it was announced with a $9.99 SRP which equaled an easy blind buy for me. Hell for $6 I'll buy almost any slasher (good or bad). But I see that the SRP is now $22.98. WTF!? I understand them raising the SRP up to $14.98 but $22.98 for a movie with limited appeal is just crazy. That means it will be $15+ online and I can't see any of the major stores carrying it at that price. It seems to me that they are just asking for this release to be a major flop. Too bad as I love Code Red and try to support all of their releases ...

2. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Buy from Amazon and it'll probably be around 10-15 bucks including shipping. :D

3. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

Amazon's cost right now ... $20.49. I'll pass. And Bill from Code Red wonders why people rent these types of movies from Netflix rather than buy ...

4. The review for this flick sounds like it would be fun, but no way is it a blind buy at this price. Thanks to Netflix I seldom blind on much of anything lately, and since they do not yet have it listed on their site it looks like it will be awhile before I see it. :(

5. CodeRedDVd

CodeRedDVd Guest

I never said this was 9.99. I have no idea how DVDAfficinado came up with that price. Did you know if I sell it for $9.99, I ONLY get $1.23 of that $9.99? I wound up PAYING just to resolicite my earlier MB released titles for I did not know that was going to be, especially when I got charged for the returns. So $1.23 profit, minus returns at $1.50, total profit = -.27. Whoever sells DVD's for 9.99 or less going thru a distributor will not make one penny. You make more money destroying it then actually selling it.

These are all limited to 1000 pressed anyway, once they ae gone, I woun't press them anymore. That's it!

6. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

The way I see it, a company pays the same price to master a film regardless of the run. This would mean to me that less popular films make far less money for the resources put into them as opposed to mainstream ones that will sell more.

I'd say if I get to see a trailer or some clips on You Tube that I like, it is worth getting the dvd. Would it be better to spend that money on going to see GI Joe?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Quit nitpicking Code Red, people! It's not easy for the independents (I know in a slightly different light, since I screen 35mm prints of horror/cult/exploitation fare at a local cinema monthly) to make a buck and satisfy the fans. It takes a lot of time, money, and effort to get it done and we get crushed by the mainstream everyday. Spending an extra 5 to 10 dollars (and sometimes a little bit of a wait) on the little guys who are specifically catering to you, the fans, isn't gonna hurt you and it'll help keep Code Red DVD on the market bringing us more of the titles we want!

8. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Night of the Dribbler is something I would call a somewhat "rare" movie. It seems Code Red raised the SRP on this one (from their regular prices), but it's not because they're greedy. I'm just happy if Code Red can continue to operate.

When DVD first arrived in the 90's, we paid $20-$40 for a DVD (that's over 10 years ago, so converted to 2009 dollars, it's even higher). Some VHS were prices at $70 retail in the 80's. It's unrealistic to expect DVD prices to be subject of deflation, while prices in general are subject of inflation. Especially when it comes to more rare titles where there's usually higher costs involved. Sometimes I'm surprised to hear people who may have bought a bootleg VHS for $50, but refuse to buy the DVD for $15, because it may be non-anamorphic etc.

The same will happen in the DVD business, as it did with the "Mom 'n Pop" rental stores. Bigger studios will sell their new "blockbuster" for cheap, and go for higher volumes. Then the customers will expect lower prices to be norm, which will make it impossible to make money on DVDs, unless you sell really large quantities, unless you're willing to pay a higher premium for certain "low volume" releases. It's simply impossible to keep this trend of lower DVD prices while costs are rising.

9. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Yeah, we've all become spoiled by the low prices the big companies are able to sell their discs for. If one's not interested in Night of the Dribbler because of the price, don't buy it. If it's a limited run of only 1000 copies, how low a price can you expect Code Red to ask if they expect to make any money back? If I were Bill I wouldn't sell any to Netflix- then more people would be forced to buy these discs if they really want to see the film. C'mon, $20 is what you'd have to pay for two people to see a film in the theater for chrissakes!

10. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I'll pick it up, but for what price, we shall see.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

If the trailers and reviews are good $15 is reasonable. Then again, there are a LOT of good releases this Fall so it has to look pretty damn good, although that limited print number may force me to run out and get it right away.

The Code Red release I'm looking forward to is The Strangeness.

12. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Actually Messiah of Evil and Trapped look pretty damn good as well! And Mutilator although I remember hearing that one is held up due to lack of a good quality film print.

I think what Code Red really needs to do is put up trailers for the films they are releasing on their site, or if they don't exist do what some of the other smaller companies do and edit together new ones. That's how I usually decide to check out a movie from watching the trailer (Reviews are important as well), and most of the movies they are releasing don't have one available anywhere. A lot of the movies they have have peaked my interest with their plot summaries and covers, but without actually seeing footage from the movie it's a lot harder to make that blind buy.

Hell if you are too busy, send me some footage and I would be happy to edit together some trailers for you! I have a few years editing experience in the field and would do it for some free DVDs, as I'm sure many on here would. :D

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I second this. No one else is releasing the kind of movies they are - and by that I mean stuff like Boardinghouse, etc - so let's let them do their thing.

I looked into licencing stuff at one point with a friend and we ran the numbers and to make any kind of worth-while profit (or profit at all) you need to charge higher prices. If you are going to move a million units, sure, sell it at a lower price point, but... The Dribbler? Come on.

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

It seems as if every Code Red thread always gets into some complaining over something or other. When bigger studios do it we just accept it, but because Code Red has such an active presence on the forum we seem to want to be way more demanding. Not the best way to treat someone if you want them coming back!

I'm excited for this, reminds me of that other lost film that finally saw the light of day, Death Bed: The Bed That Eats. I'd love to promote it on the site, so I'm hoping Code Red will be sending this out for review but haven't heard from Bill in awhile...

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Quite the opposite. The more limited the appeal, the hirer the price has to be. Think of it as the cost of production divided by the number of consumers. This is simple economics here. Supply and Demand people. You don't just do a telecine of a film and call it good. There's mastering, product design, production, licensing and distribution.

I'll be picking up this release. It'll probably be $17.ish on DVDPacific.com, which is pretty standard for indie releases.

16. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Hopefull its really good, and maybe it will become a rare collectors item, hence the limited 1000 copies :D

17. Novosibirsk

Novosibirsk Member

I fucking love DEATH BED: THE BED THAT EATS. So strange, so fun, so many bad sound effects.

18. DVDBone

DVDBone Member

As the original poster, I wasn't trying to nitpick Code Red. I LOVE them and own almost all of their titles ... good and bad. I don't think it was ever made public that this thing would be limited to 1,000 units total. Knowing that, I will spend my $15+ to bring it in on street date.

I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm ripping on Bill or his company. BCI/Navarre (the distributor for Code Red) had this at $9.98 SRP on their website originally. When it raised up to $22.98, that was very surprising to me and I am certain that retailers that were going to bring it in at $9.98 cancelled their orders (trust me on this one). Anything over $19.99 SRP that doesn't have a marketing machine like Lionsgate behind it is a tough sell. Obviously, if Bill needs to charge $22 SRP to recoup his costs, I'm all for it.

19. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

20. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

Lmao, Im kinda on the fence still...