Night of the Dribbler?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DVDBone, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Then I'll be passing on this one for sure. I want to support Code Red... I really do. But not with junk like this.

2. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

I think Im gonna bit the bullet and pick this one up this week...:D

3. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Looks like it's more of a Camp Motion Pictures or Troma release. I'll probably pick it up if I come across a copy.

4. MidnightRambler

MidnightRambler New Member

LOL at the Reebok costume - roll over Jason, Michael and Freddy, this is the real (fashion) horror

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  5. Marko25

Marko25 Guest

Whoa..ok I NEVER Expected this to be GOOD but seriously.....what a farce!

I could have coped with the silly characters and dialogue and dumb jokes...in fact if the rest of the movie had been done right then I would have a got a kick out of this...I enjoyed it up till the point the first 'death' occured which was actually a very funnily staged dismemberment via basketball hoop and then it just got awful...you BARELY see the Dribbler and I mean barely which was the biggest disappointment. Then there isnt really any deaths I'm afraid to say!!?? There is one attack in which the victim probably died but no mention is made of it so you never actually find out! There is actually what appears to be a murder scene at the start of the movie but its so poorly integrated in the rest of the movie that it diddnt really count to me! Also in one really mind boggling scene the Dribbler just knocks out the guy who should be the next victim (if his MO is anything to go) and instead acts out (again a 'murder') on the bitchy cheerleader girlfriend...she is then seen minutes later still attmpting to cheerlead in a wheelchair covered in banadages and again although the basketball player that was knovked out is mentioned there is NO as to where he is or what happened to him!!?? Very confusing muddle of a film really..it actually could have worked if the dribbler was more present and actually killing the basketball players as promised on the back of the DVD...and dont get me started on the poorly staged reveal into who the Dribbler is...in fact I dont understand why the main character asked the killer if they were the dribbler when no one actually knew the attacker had been wearing a basketbal on his/her head!! I can cope with silly, I even like silly, but this movie was more patchy than a coat after a plague of moths has descended on it!!!!! Dont bother seriously...and I wanted to like this on some level.

6. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

"Hi Marvin,

Unfortunately we have learned that your order # 10518505 is no longer available from the studio or that we are otherwise unable to deliver this item.

Well looks like i wont be getting my copy. Dos'nt sound like i'am missing out on much though. I'll just pick up Child's Play on blu instead.

7. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Doesn't sound like it's too good. I wonder why Code Red would bother with this when they have so many better movies that need to be released?

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'm still planning on checking this one out, and support Code Red, if it ever ships... and The Strageness... I've had both on order from Amazon.ca since the beginning of Sept, but they still have not shipped...

My other Code Red order should arrive today or tomorrow, with Trapped and Weekend Murders.

9. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

I'm still waiting on The Strangeness and Night of the Dribbler from amazon.ca too. I've received two emails from them pushing back the delivery date of The Strangeness. I'll keep holding out hope though.. if any Canadian online retailer can get it, it should be amazon.

10. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

So I guess I should be happy that I scored this? :rolleyes:

11. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i got both this and strangeness from barnes and noble

12. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I bit my lip and ordered this one from DVD Pacific recently. :nervous:

A basketball player who thinks he's Elvis... Fred Travalena playing three different characters... Two detectives named Danny Gibson (a white guy) and Mel Glover (a black guy, get it?)...

I don't really know what to make of the film. It wants to be a parody of a slasher film, but it's really not even funny. There's no gore or nudity to speak of (even over-the-top) so it's missing that.

It's more of an oddity than anything else. I can sort of see why it was never released before to tell the truth. It shares some vague similarities to Ghoul School and Monster High, which were all apparently filmed around the same time. It might work for unintentional laughs if you viewed this one with a few inebriated friends some night.

The DVD transfer obviously came sourced from a video master, as you can clearly see some video blips several times during the film. Definition and colors are mostly flat. Perhaps it was originally filmed on video however, as the opening sequence and end credits look as if they were done on an old Amiga computer.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  13. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Watched this yesterday and enjoyed every minute of it. It was intended as a silly comedy, and reminds me somewhat of Student Bodies. I would definitely recommend it, although it seems I'm in the minority on this one.

14. Katatonia

I find this hard to believe, but according to Code Red this is one of their few releases that actually turned a profit. :eek2:

15. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Does this mean it will be their first Blu-ray release? ;)

I can see this making profit though, based on the title and cover art alone. I don't know anything about marketing but I'd imagine Night of the Dribbler has some sort of appeal going for it. It doesn't appear to be "old" and the basketball theme might be another factor.

16. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

I think it was the idea of a "lost slasher" that sold people. Thats what duped me.

17. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i can't believe its that bad. i mean a lot of code red films are of dubious quality, but i don't regret buying any of them. not even devil times five. i eventually plan on picking this up. my expectations are pretty low, thanks to all the poor reactions to it, but i still want to see it...

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think so too. Also there's no competing releases from other regions, old VHS's that are "good enough" or bootlegs. Also I'd imagine they paid very little for it upfront (although if I recall there was much needed polishing on it to make it final).

If that's what pulls in a profit, I hope they're looking into uncovering more un-released films from the 80's as it's obviously an untapped market. I wonder how Carnivore did?

19. Katatonia

It's pretty bad. I'd scarcely call it a "Horror" film, let alone a "Slasher".

I don't regret buying any other Code Red releases (35 owned currently), but I definitely felt regret after watching this one.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

The Undertaker was another unreleased 80s film they unearthed.

I still need to pick that one up. And despite all the negative reviews, I would love to check out Night Of The Dribbler.

If anyone hasn't bought it yet, I would highly recommend The Carrier! I loved it! Great film, and I had never even heard of it prior to buying the DVD.