NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD '68 vers.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by wago70, Oct 11, 2004.

1. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

I realized I made that mistake after I posted.I guess I had Dead & Buried in my head.That has 3 commentaries.

2. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    It was never released or shown under the title "Night of the Flesh Eaters". The print was finalized under that title, but when it had to be changed at the last moment, in the rush they forgot to put the copyright on the print.

3. I see. Thanks for the info. Too bad for Romero. If he had even one booking under the original title with the copyright then he would've had some protection. As soon as it played under the new title commercially without the copyright notice, it fell into the public domain although it took people a while to realize that and pirate it (if the word pirate applies here).

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

My understanding was that just the first wave of Night of the Living Dead prints were missing the copyright, and that future printings were corrected. So all public domain copies are based off of the first reels released theatrically. Fortunetly this can no longer happens to films, but is an interesting tidbit I would like to hear straightened out.

I also recall that the NotLD master negative(?) is actually still at the lab it was originally struck at, under the title Night of Anubis. This was used for the Anchor Bay "remastering." Don't know what Elite used. After what happened with Martin, I'd think Romero would try his damnedest to get the negative back for the very reasons Richard's mentioned in the Carnival of Souls thread.

5. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

Has the original Martin film been found?I know Lion's Gate is releasing a version next month but is it the same as the AB version?

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Same cut yes, but it's remastered with new commetary.

7. It wouldn't matter if later "Night of the Living Dead" prints had copyrights on it if the first ones were shown commercially without it. At the time, public
    domain status was not reverseble unless you alter the film by 20 % (i.e. colorization, a new mix) at which point that version can be copyrighted.
    When I was going through the "Carnival of Souls" materials, I did find
    a copyright tag that the foreign distributor, Walter Manley, had made.
    He probably just had it spliced onto the end of the prints for overseas
    so that it appeared that the movie was copyrighted.

Under the NAFTA agreement, some public domain foreign films could be renewed although technically it's a post-ex facto law. Overseas movies
    that the domestic distributors had allowed to lapse into PD had a time
    period in which they could renew the copyright. US movies however could
    not be renewed.

Regarding the "Night of the Living Dead" camera negative, I was under the impression that it was originally at Movielab in NYC. Movielab folded long ago. I assume Romero or his Image Ten company removed it. Of course it's possible that a duplicate negative or fine grain master was held at another
    lab for other markets. It's not uncommon for different distributors to utilize a variety of labs for the same film.

8. Alexander

Alexander Guest

There was a small theater where I live that used to show lots of PD movies theatrically, and one of ´em was the original NOTLD. I don´t know where they got the print, but it was pretty average, with french subtitles.

9. zombiexfan

zombiexfan Guest

lol i used to live in oakland ca .. go about 40 miles east and there are a lot of farm houses.. i like them but to live in one.. well