Night of the Living Dead...which version is best?

Discussion in 'General' started by J-Dub, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Jamm

Jamm J'aime les cadavres

:eek1:
    :lol:
    :nervous:
    I had to resort to simply throwing mine in the trash. I couldn't even give it away, much less sell it.

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

To me it is a masterpiece! Sure Romero can sometimes be as subtle as a chainsaw up the ass, but NOTLD still has IMHO one of the most powerful endings in horror film history.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I recently picked up a VHS of the colored Hal Roach version, and I was rather impressed with the colorization. No it doesn't look good per say, but you'd be surprised by how badly it doesn't look. I only started to catch on how they did it when Duane Jones enterted the picture. Whenever his face went into black for a couple of seconds you could see a brown traveling matte where his head was. It's not nearly as badly colored as the box cover and back photos would indicate. Which literally look as if a child had drawn them in.

The biggest problem is probably that they had to brighten the image in order to make the colors stick, so a lot of the atmosphere is really lost. I had watched the Millenium Edition a few weeks before so it was fresh in my mind how impressive the cinematography was. They also wouldn't leave ANYTHING white, so white objects were a light yellow and the house was a light pink. Pink! The zombie green was rather unconvincing as well. Plus blood didn't come out that well, since it was straight black in the film.

4. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

the zombie footage with bill hinzman is good but the rest is horrible

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Just watched the Millennium edition, and the only problem I had with the DVD was the extras, or lack of them. From a quick glance, the back shows what looks like a LOT of extras, but in reality there wasn't that much. I thought there would be an hour long documentary with George and the cast, but instead all there was was a quick interview and a radio interview, and then a bunch of stills and notes.

Anyways, am I the only one that thinks this movie needs a sweet 3 disc set, filled with documentaries and deleted scenes (if there are any) and what not. I know George doesn't want much to do with the film, but I'm sure if someone paid him some much deserved cash he'd jump in to do the movie the justice it deserves. And since it's on public domain, would it be such a stretch to see Criterion do a DVD for it?

6. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Those are the 2 I have as well. Millenium is the way to go!!

7. fceurich39

there may be a new 40th anniversary dvd coming this year also on anchor bays site it says about a 40th anniversary reunion meaning maybe anchor bay will release a new dvd also i remember a while back they were making a new documentary for night of the living dead so that will probably be coming out this year with a new dvd

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

The colorized, 30th anniversary edition in 3-D with additional Sid Haig sequences spliced in (as originally intended by Caesar Romero) is the only way to go.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

There's a finite amount of stuff you can have for this movie. Documentaries? What documentaries? They barely had the money to make the movie, let alone a making-of.

I thought the Millenium Edition was pretty comprehensive, with only the exception of the still photos that were on the Elite laserdisc.

You did listen to both audio commentaries, right?

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Three of the cast members have passed away, including the two leading characters. That really hurts any kind of documentary. Besides, so much of the film's story has been rehashed in various other places over the years, that I don't know how much more they could really add. Don't get me wrong, NOTLD is my favorite horror film, but it would take an awful lot to get a double dip from me. I'm really happy with the Millennium Edition.

11. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

No I didn't listen to them yet. Are they any good?

And yeah by documentary I meant just getting everyone to talk about filming it and to tell their stories, use stills, how it became in public domain, the influence it has had on horror and zombie movies since, have Stephen King, John Carpenter and other horror directors talk how it influenced their careers. But I never thought of the fact that most of them have passed away. That is said news, and I guess it would make it harder for the documentary to work. I don't know, compared to his other Dead films though (Dawn and Day), it just seemed like the Millennium edition was lackluster to me, when it was the film that really started his career.

12. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

I think I'd be more interested in seeing people like John Carpenter and Stephen King discussing the film than I would hearing anecdotes from the cast and crew.

NOTLD pretty much changed the horror genre forever -- you can trace so many things back to it: the 1980s Splatterpunk literary movement, Italian gut munchers, TCM, 80s slashers.

13. lanemyer774

lanemyer774 Member

I own the 25th Anniversary 2 VHS set. I bought it sometime in the mid 90's, when laser discs were all the rave (their prices were just too high for me to buy any of them). Anyways, the first tape is the movie, the second tape is a "sit in" conversation if you will, with George Romero, John Russo, Russel Streiner, Karl Hardman, Marilyn Eastman & others. I haven't seen it in years so I can't give you any details on it in those regards. But if anyone is interested, it can be had for fairly cheap on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-...r_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1202353448&sr=1-25

14. shockwave

shockwave New Member

Thought I'd dust this one off here. One of the questions I have is is the millenium edition no longer being produced? I've just been able to find it on amazon, or are there any versions having been released in the last few years that are slightly better?

15. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Here are the best DVD releases of NOTLD to buy:

-Elite Millenium Edition
    -Legend Films release (with B/W and Colorized Versions)\
    -Dimension 40th AE

And if you're a purist or for whatever reason mind you, then also get the 30th AE.

16. fceurich39

criterion should release this on blu-ray!!!!

17. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

They or Anchor Bay are the perfect candidates! :)

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Synapse Films would be at the top of my list.

I'd just about prefer a Basket Case-esque transfer though. If people don't like it they can crank the DNR and EE settings on their TV up to 11 and leave real film for the rest of us.

19. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

So just wondered if any changes of opinion on this - I know a few blu-rays exist now - but Ive heard mixed things on each of them - I actually currently do not have NOTLD and was wanting to pick up the best edition out there (I know dont beat me up - dont know why I dont own one yet) - I was looking to pick the Millenium edition dvd by Elite for like 5.00 on Amazon - is that still the best release out there even with the blu rays?

Or is this one the best dvd now?

http://www.amazon.com/Night-Living-...0993&sr=1-4&keywords=night+of+the+living+dead

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  20. Demoni

Demoni Active Member