Night School, Killer Party, Evil Laugh, etc... any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Ah! Gotcha. Words dumbfangle me again.

2. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I got Sole Survivor confused with the Eliza Dushku pic Soul Survivors. I have actually seen Sole Survivor and thought it was okay. It has a nice sense of dread throughout but is overall pretty dull. Cool idea that in my opinion wasn't presented as well as it could have been. I would rather watch any of the Final Destination movies over this one.

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

No, you're right - I should have been clearer. I thought the same thing for a sec when I first typed it. I love that era too!

4. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Mortuary-I thought this one was really dull. Sold my copy soon after purchasing it.

Silent Scream-Pretty good. I need to eventually buy it.

Evil Laugh-Fun 80's cheese.

Girls Nite Out-Another fun one.

The Toolbox Murders-I really liked this one.

Night of the Comet-I love 80's cheese but this one has never done it for me.

Deathdream-Bob Clarke does it again.

5. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Tell me about Humanoids from the Deep, California Axe Murders, Anthropophagus, Madhouse, Island of Death and the Night Train Murders?

I've already seen it and don't liking it much the first time, but should I give The Funhouse another chance? I haven't seen it in a long time.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Humanoids and Anthropophagus are both fantastic. Humanoids is sleazy beyond measure, and Anthropophagus is great slow-building euro-horror.

Night Train Murders is...ok. It basically wants to be Last House on the Left on a train, and to a certain extent succeeds. Not as affecting though.

I was a little underwhelmed by The Funhouse the first time I saw it as well, but it's grown on me. I'd say give it another shot.

7. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I disagree. I have 90% of Code Red's initial output (before Bill went private), and I would say Soul Survivor is one of the best films of the whole bunch in terms of actual quality.

8. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Which Madhouse are you talking about? If it's the Price version from 1974, it's a lot of fun and definitely worth a watch! The only other film I've seen on that list is Humanoids from the Deep which is also a sleazy good time!

As for The Funhouse. I felt the same way when I first saw it. After all the hype I heard for it I came away very disappointed. It doesn't do enough with the cool funhouse premise and it's not really a slasher film. It kind of has that TV movie of the week feel, where it's more of a drama with horror elements. That being said, I picked up the Scream Blu-ray and am excited to give it another chance. A lot of the other movies I was disappointed with at that time, I have given a second viewing and came away very happy so, sometimes expectations can ruin your opinion of a movie.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. Mutilated Prey

Well, I had to watch it 3 times to get through it without falling asleep :)

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Humanoids from the Deep - I'm honestly not a huge fan of this movie, but Shout Factory's blu-ray is gorgeous. Probably the best transfer of their Corman line. Excellent disc, so-so movie.

Anthropophagus - I love this movie, but I would hesitate to recommend it. It's flawed and somewhat plodding, however it has atmosphere like no other. The setting is just so gorgeous and creepy that I find it wholly engaging.

Madhouse - Is this is the 1981 slasher movie that Dark Sky released? If so, I thought it was okay, but it's not something I would ever watch again. If you skip it, you're not missing much.

Island of Death - It has been a long time since I've seen this, so I don't remember much about it. Personally, I prefer Nico Mastorakis' lighter efforts like The Zero Boys, Grandmother's House, or The Wind. But I'd still recommend it.

Night Train Murders - I'm not a huge fan of Italian films or overly sleazy movies, so I avoided this until the Blue Underground blu-ray. But when I finally did see it, I was very impressed. An effective and well-done re-do of Last House On The Left. Recommended.

The Funhouse - When I used to see this movie on TV as a kid, I thought it was just okay. But then I saw it in 2.35:1 widescreen and was completely blown away. It was like seeing a completely different movie. I think it's an atmospheric masterpiece and it is now one of my all-time favorite horror movies.

11. Mutilated Prey

Humanoids from the Deep -cheesy sleezy fun, must have.
    California Axe Murders - cheap 70's exploitation of sorts, worth a watch, but can be somewhat dull.
    Anthropophagus -good zombie flick. must have.
    Madhouse - Assuming you mean "There was a Little Girl", I've only watched it once a while back and thought it was a decent slasher from that great era.
    Island of Death - So sleazy and funny, I found it to be a must have. Not for the faint of heart.
    Night Train Murders - never seen it.
    Funhouse - must have, cmon guy.

12. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

3 times the awesomeness.

13. Mutilated Prey

haha. I'll revisit one day.

14. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

I have this movie on a memory card stick such a yawnfest. I thought it was just me but I also fell asleep trying to watch this.

15. Mutilated Prey

Think of all the consoling and snuggling we could have done Doberella.

16. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Seeing it in widescreen didn't change a thing for me- the movie never got off the ground. Probably doesn't help that the film's first scene is of a boy practically trying to rape his own sister. I know people like Rob Zombie would get a kick out of crap like that but, seriously: what the fuck?

17. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

:confused: That's quite the interpretation there...

18. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

reminds me of that scene from Elves...

"I'm your sister!"
    "Yeah, and you've got fucking big tits and I'm going to tell everybody I saw them!"

classic.

I think DVDF9 is definitely misinterpreting the scene, though. sure, the T&A is there for the audience to enjoy, but from the kid's perspective, he's just trying to scare his sister. She's old enough to know that what he does in inappropriate, but he's not a teenager, he probably hasn't hit puberty yet, so there's nothing sexual about it to him.

19. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I adore Elves! So many hilarious lines! From "Santa said 'oral'" to "Shhh... it's snowing..." SO Underrated!

Night Of The Demons also does the little brother gag. "Whoa, bodacious boobies sis!"

Awkward, for sure, but I think "rape" is a strong word for that.

20. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Dead and Buried & Eyes of a Stranger?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013