Night School, Killer Party, Evil Laugh, etc... any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by vampyr789, Sep 21, 2013.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

I've reviewed both on the site, but I really love Eyes of a Stranger. Great slasher flick, one that's just on the cusp of the upper echelon of the sub-genre. Great setting, Savini effects work, stylish direction, Jennifer Jason Leigh and some nasty kills. Doesn't get enough love.

Dead & Buried has its admirers, but it's a cold film without characters to really latch onto. Well directed and a good concept, though. I just never really connected with it.

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Is Cannibal Ferox any good? What do y'all think of it?

3. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I remember renting the VHS under the title "Make Them Die Slowly" and the only reason why was because of the warning about some high number of kills. Man, was I disappointed at the time. I watched it again recently and found it slightly more enjoyable only because I knew what I was in for. I dunno, it's better than most jungle cannibalism films, but I'm not a huge fan of those to begin with.

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

I found it to be slightly better than CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST but that may be because I saw it first...this is more of the same. Just be warned that this also has animals being killed for gory filler. Just plain lazy, if you ask me.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Holy shit! I can't believe Killer Party isn't talked about more often, or that I'd even really heard anything about it previous. Pretty much Hell Night meets Evil Dead 2, and so much damn fun! I enjoyed the fact that it swapped genres as it moved along, which usually doesn't work, but here it did - keeping the pace frantic and always engaging. This horror-comedy should have been a staple if you ask me.

6. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Deathdream, The Toolbox Murders, Let Sleeping Corpses Lie, Silent Scream, and Night School are great films, Deathdream being my favorite out the bunch. Killer Party (it has been several years since I saw it) was not all that. The comedy fell flat and the transition from slasher film to supernatural/demonic possession film was done very poorly, it pretty much just morphs into a totally different film in the last 20 minutes or so. When it comes to demonic/slasher/comedy hybrids I would go with Prom Night II. But that is just me.

7. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

That's fair enough, although I feel the performances are strong enough to overcome some of the character weaknesses.

Also- it's a pretty shocking little movie. With a surprising brutal streak.

I think it's a bit underrated, personally.

I did everything I could to talk it up. It was much better than it had any right to be. It certainly has a better late-middle, early-ending than Hell Night (though HN definitely had the superior final 3 minutes).

8. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

satans-sadists and Angelman like this.
  9. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

that's good news. i still haven't picked it up. I bought the Killer Party dvd-r a few months ago, and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. After reading Rhett's (remember him?) review, I wasn't expecting too much, but for whatever reason it really worked for me.

10. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

Yes! I've been hoping Night School would eventually come from Warner Archive!

Let's all agree to buy the fuck out of this one so they do Killer Party next. Okay cool everybody agrees then.

russweiss likes this.
  11. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Im from Boston, so I get a huge amount of enjoyment checking out the way the city looked then. it's also an excellent movie, def day one Purchase!

12. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I forget, are these pressed discs?

13. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah they are.

I really wanna pick this up, so many obscure slashers/horror films have come out recently or are scheduled for release (Humongous, One Dark Night, Madhouse, The Slayer, Silent Scream, Hell Night, Night Warning, The Mutilator...)

~Matt