Night Trap Anniversary Video Game

Discussion in 'General' started by ImmortalSlasher, Aug 16, 2017.

1. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Active Member

A Night Trap Anniversary video game is coming out. Here is the announcement video. Bad music and cheesy settings warning.

Also the scene that supposedly caused those government meetings back in the day. Sadly you can come across far worse on the Internet, for free I might add, then a few guys dressed in black taking away a barely dressed girl and using a drill.

I think the girl was the hottest in the game and I always tried to save her. And if I remember correctly, at this point you had to have a certain number of bad guys captured or the game wouldn't let you continue. It was like a halfway point. I thought the "game" wasn't that great back then. I still own it and I'm getting this anniversary version eventually. But this was the early days of more interactive video games. I don't think the term casual gamer was even around then.

I don't even want to mention the company that released the physical game as there are a lot of pissed off gamers out there. I knew about it too late and it sold out not even in a day but a few minutes if that according to some. I mentioned the Kickstarter here a year or so ago. You would think a company would know about interest in a game. Allow a day or so for people to get it. Or release it based on market demand. But the physical release company is one of those fly by night types that only produce a small amount to guarantee a sell out, allow people to buy 2 copies if they want to keep one sealed or sell to pay for both copies, have an all sales are final / no returns policy, and allow scalpers to exist. They even have the nerve to sell a box for shipping. You see companies like this in a lot of industries these days. The company which released Night of the Living Dead 1990 is like that. It's one thing to have a limited product. But at least it should be special. Not just a simple disc release in which getting a color booklet or poster is made to seem like a big deal when it was standard back in the day.

fceurich39, Steel76 and Workshed like this.
  2. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm gonna buy this on the PC :)

I never got around to buy the game, back when it came out for the Sega CD.

Would love to have gotten a physical release. But I'm so sick and tired of this limited edition shit, when you miss out, and have to pay hundreds of dollars to some fucking scalpers.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Hindsight being 20/20, all the controversy generated by this game is... kind of hilarious. If all of the footage contained within this game were instead compiled into a feature film of sorts, you'd have a frustratingly tame, barely PG-13 movie with astonishingly poor, production values.

ImmortalSlasher and SaviniFan like this.
  4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

this is the thing : you don't have to pay scalpers. If everybody just didn't lose their cool and got a little self-restraint, scalpers wouldn't see any money

not picking on you (i also have had a couple of products that I couldn't get normally and would have to turn to scalpers to get them, but i simply refuse to do that), but reading stories about people willingly paying up to 8 times the normal amount of money for something is insane imho

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Only PS4?

6. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

^Xbone as well.

Just hearing about this today and of course the physical release is already sold out.:rolleyes:

Digital it is.

7. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I never bought anything from a scalper, and never will.
    I rather wait for another release, or buy it digitally.

baggio likes this.
  8. ImmortalSlasher

I think the company that released Night Trap really wants to be like Mondo Tees posters. They even mention Mondo in their site FAQ. They seem to like the "collectors" market they have made from what I've seen them post on forums and in interviews. But it's really a sealed game hoarder and scalper / flipper market. With people saying look what I have that's expensive because a company only made say 1000 when they could have sold 5000. And I have sealed copies of every release so far sitting on a shelf unplayed. That's the "collector" they are catering to. According to the wiki, the Sega CD sold 2.24 million units. And Night Trap was fairly popular. That's the joke of the number of copies that were released.

Also unlike with Mondo Tees selling artist signed and numbered screen prints for movies and other properties. In which screen prints are different compared to the run of the mill posters that you would see in retail stores that barely hold value and are most of the time worthless. Mondo tried to create something for a poster market that was disappearing and few wanted anymore. Physical games aren't disappearing, companies are just trying to save as much money as possible. I'll always buy physical given the chance over digital.

So this company's market would collapse as soon as publishers decide to satisfy demand. As I doubt they gave them all the rights to publish a game and that's the last we would ever see of that game. Also they are scared if they do larger or open editions that the "collectors" who buy their games will stop.

When I was a kid this stuff was high end. The people who made it professionals. Now I look at it and it's on the level of those free Fear.Net movies.

True but scalpers then bet on the limited number to eventually win people over. If it's a small number the price will rise naturally. This sort of thing happens with Mondo posters. Also if it's something popular then by waiting you run the risk of it really getting expensive. When Mondo was smaller and less popular they released some early Universal Monsters posters. Now those can be expensive because people want the complete line up.

I think Night Trap will drop though. I bet it will get to around $65 perhaps lower than what it's going for now. $65 is still too much for something that was priced at $30 though. But calculate eBay, Paypal, and shipping costs then it's more reasonable than the around $100 it's getting now.

Edit - Another thing, there are expensive older video games out there. They have increased in price for various reasons but that's also what this company wants to be grouped with. They want to make things valued like a Panzer Dragoon Saga. But not have it earned.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    baggio and Steel76 like this.
  9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Sold out? But not for Xbox One only PS4 & PC . Jeesh, Regardless I didn't even know where to buy it even if they did have a physical version for Xbox(which they don't)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  10. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Ah hell, guess I'll go play Double Switch with Haim & Harry. LOL

Steel76 likes this.
  11. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I almost pulled the trigger on buying it for the PS4 when I saw this in the digital store, but then I watched a stream of someone playing it and remembered again that it is a crap game only famous for the backlash against video games at the time. Thanks Twitch.

zbinks and Workshed like this.
  12. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

I played it back in the day at a buddy's house, and we were both so psyched for all the depraved nudity and gore. We turned it off after an hour and went back to playing Road Rash.

zbinks and SaviniFan like this.
  13. ImmortalSlasher

Night Trap is starting to drop into the reasonable price range on eBay. It might pick up again during the Halloween month. But it's in normal game price range now. That's still double the retail price. But not the stupid price it was going for in the hours after release. It's readily available too which shows way too many copies went to flippers. Too bad the company doesn't care as the flippers are their main audience.