Nightbreed Directors cut details announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I ordered from Amazon and it doesn't ship for 2 weeks!! :( At least I only paid $60 for it.

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same here. It's really pissing me off that so many people are getting this already. I could have had my copy by Halloween if that was the case.

3. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

yeah, but these are all people who ordered direct from scream, right? they automatically get it 2 weeks earlier than everyone else. but they have to pay more.

4. Zombie Dude

I definitely don't think getting it early is worth paying full price but it's still annoying that it's being sent out that far in advance.

5. marcx

marcx New Member

Mine was direct from Scream--my barker fandom goes WAAAYYYYY back as does my Nightbreed love---I pre-ordered the second it was available---this thing is FANTASTIC:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

most anticipated release of 2014 is almost here!!!!!

7. Demoni

Demoni Active Member

Arrow also has that and they advertise it like if you want to be the first to own a copy then order directly.

8. Zombie Dude

At least Arrow has sales and ships internationally.

9. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

My limited edition arrived in the mail earlier in the week and so tonight I had a double feature of both cuts. The director's cut is indeed a much better film. The theatrical cut always seemed like it was in a rush. It rushed past character development in the beginning to get to the monsters and rushed through the final scene for the main characters to get to a "shock" ending. The director's cut improves all of this. Boone and Lori are now the center of the film and the opening helps you understand their love story and characters much better. Other characters are improved in this cut as well, including the priest (whose motivations changed from scene to scene in the theatrical cut) and the police captain (who disappeared from the theatrical cut during the final battle). There is also a new ending that makes more sense to the story than the theatrical ending and is a better wrap up to the film, but is a little peculiar in the direction it goes. I'm sure I'll warm to it more in future viewings.

For those of you wondering about if the limited edition is worth it over the regular release, I'd say it is. The theatrical ending is not on the regular edition disc (and although it makes no sense, it still features a great last shot) and within the exclusive bonus features on the limited edition are more deleted scenes, including some stop motion work.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  10. second301

second301 New Member

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

I haven't read any other reviews yet. I really try not to if I'm working on a review myself. But is anyone questioning the claim of '45 minutes of new footage'? I understand the runtime is 20 minutes longer. Barker and Miller explain in the introduction that the gap is due to some theatrical footage being removed and then replaced. Even so, I'm questioning that claim. Don't get me wrong; I saw lots of new scenes, but I can't imagine it was 45 minutes worth. I'm wondering if say a 2:00m minute sequence is removed and replaced with a 2:10m sequence that is just slightly different and they aren't counting it as 2:10m of new footage (versus 10 seconds of new footage).

One thing I will say is this isn't a case like H6: Producer's Cut. It's not an entirely different movie. It's a better movie, yes, but not as significantly different as I expected.

I'll be studying the two more and will likely give myself a few more days to finish the review (probably this weekend at this point), but I'm curious if anyone else has thoughts on this. I'm sure there is discussion going on about it elsewhere but I thought I would ask here first.

12. MrTransistor1

MrTransistor1 Member

It is 40 minutes of new footage. They took the version that was shown in theaters in 1990 which was about 102 minutes and took 20 minutes out of that, 10 minutes was the ending. Then they added in 40 minutes of new footage which makes the director's cut about 120 minutes long with the new ending.

13. Dave

Dave Pimp

Interesting. I'll check that out then. I was going to compare the two side-by-side on my computer to try and dissect the differences. Thanks for the information.

14. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

So I take it the reshot footage of Decker murdering the family is MIA in the DC?

Understandably so but I love that sequence.

15. Zombie Dude

It was in the Cabal Cut so hopefully not.

16. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I watched both cuts back to back, the only things I noticed as missing were the ending with Decker and a line of dialog from the cop with the laser sight on his rifle. I know a few sequences were reorganized to Clive's liking (going from a wide shot to a closeup instead of the reverse, for example). I think they're counting those rejiggered sequences as part of the 45 minutes of new footage.

17. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Anyone get theirs from DiabolikDVD yet?

18. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

Nightbreed, and Lord of Illusions had more cuts than a K-tel-record.

19. thing

thing Well-Known Member

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost