Nightbreed Directors cut details announced

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by thing, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I don't see why the mask talking wouldn't work in the film. It's clearly there to demonstrate just how insane and crazy Decker is. It's a shame it's not in the DC.

It could just be my mind wanting to think there was more to that cell scene. I seem to recall more touching and grabbing. Obviously the book had a hardcore sex scene there but I recall being happy and surprised to see some raunchiness there in the Cabal cut. I'll have to pop in the bonus disc soon and see what footage they've included there.

2. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Received my copy today, and luckily no customs charges.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Finally got my limited edition today, hopefully it was worth the extra $$$. Still, got it for $54.99, which is a heck of a lot better than Amazon's $70+ price tag, so no complaints.

5,364 / 10,000 for me.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  4. Marv Inc.

Marv Inc. Active Member

I listened to the commentary today. They found 16 hours of footage total so lets all hope Warner archive it properly this time.

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Trying my luck with couchpotato. *sigh* :eek2:

6. CPT HOOK

It's finally in stock at DeepDiscount / BlowItOutaHere (and all those other sites that use the same fulfillment center).

Only $47.51 at DeepDiscount.

7. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Apparently, Couch Potato is an off-shoot of Deep Discount because mine shipped today with no mention of the Couch Potato site. Same price, thank god.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

I have no memory of the theatrical cut, which I would have watched on video in the early 90's, but I found this new director's cut to be pretty enjoyable.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately?) having no memory of the theatrical cut, I can only really evaluate the film on its own merrits. Perhaps if I knew the theatrical cut well, I'd be overwhelmed by the jump in quality. Kind of like how the Producer's Cut of Halloween 6 gets all this praise when, in reality, it's not much of a movie either - it's just so much better than the theatrical cut.

Regardless, I enjoyed Nightbreed. There's a huge amount of atmosphere, and obviously some great makeup effects. I really loved the long matte shots of Midian in the field. The story does feel a little light, and it seems like Barker's putting all his attention towards creating the world and setting up the characters, rather than crafting much more than a basic narrative, but that doesn't mean the film necessarily suffers from it.

I think I slightly prefer Lord of Illusions to Nightbreed. It also created an interesting mythology and world of characters, but also managed to create a more involving story.

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Amazon had a big price cut and it really bent me out of shape. Not only did I get one of the higher numbers when I pre-ordered immediately but now the price is dropping. I feel like our "limited editions" will end up being overpriced junk. To Amazon's credit, they refunded me the difference. Wasn't much but when you pre-order, you don't expect a price drop that is lower than you paid 2 weeks after release. I love Scream Factory but I really feel like fans got the shaft on this one. It was karma with what happened at their company on the mailing mix up. The "limited edition" should have been the only release at a retail of around $40.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  10. Zombie Dude

Glad they helped you out. I'm still pretty annoyed about the high number too. It's definitely an overpriced release. I skimmed through the bonus disc yesterday and there's nothing too exciting on there. The deleted scenes are nice but others have mentioned the better features are on the main disc. It would have been a better incentive to put them all on the bonus disc in my opinion. Having the theatrical cut is still nice though. If only they could have done the same for the Zombie films in the Halloween set.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I haven't bought Halloween yet and really will not unless there is a massive price drop. I already have the first movie on blu and only want 2 and 3 on blu. I have every film on DVD and don't watch them much other than 1-3. Like you said, the Zombie movies in theatrical cuts should have been on that set especially since it is supposed to be a complete collection.

12. Zombie Dude

It's possible it could drop even more in price with the Black Friday sales.

But yes, it's lame that the theatrical cuts of Zombie's films weren't added. I don't see how Scream couldn't acquire the rights as they should be with whomever owns the undated cuts. Sounds like bullshit to me :bs:

13. CPT HOOK

The Director's Cut is now available free to NetFlix subscribers on their streaming service.

14. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Now this really pisses me off! We waited forever for this cut of the film, and shelled out way too much for it.....and now I could watch it for $8.00??? What a fuckin kick in the balls!

15. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

I just watched it last night on netflix. I'm glad I didn't buy it first; it wasn't a bad movie, but not destined to be one of my favorites.

16. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I'm really feeling like a I took a bath on this purchase ($73). The movie is ok but not my cup-o-tea. The Special Features weren't as interesting as I had hoped.

17. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

I bought the regular director's cut blu-ray and I'm glad I did. Even though it is better than the theatrical cut, I found that it was rather boring and doesn't hold up well. Hellraiser, and for that matter, Rawhead Rex are more entertaining.

18. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Watched the director's cut on Netflix. First time viewing. I loved it. LOVED it. I'd be curious about the commentary. It's a pretty thoughtful movie about religion and the nature of evil vs. the idea of evil.

WOW.