Nightmare on Elm Street blu-ray USA box set coming soon???

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by fceurich39, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Sam

Sam Member

Just picked this up. In typical Best Buy fashion, the associate looked at me like I was crazy for thinking this title exists. A simple search on their inventory computer showed 3 copies available. And after playing around in the back for about 10 minutes, someone brought them out and I grabbed one. That said, I never owned any of the previous blus and so this was a no brainer for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

And would you look at that, it looks exactly like the UK set.

3. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

It sounds like it basically the same set - just the bonus disc is not PAL- I thought someone said something about the UK version (bonus disc only) being PAL but not 100% sure

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

It's PAL.

Everyone can play PAL discs though. If you have a computer all you need is VLC. You can actually speed correct it too and have PAL play back in NTSC with correct pitch as well. That's how I play all my PAL discs. Then I hook an SVGA cable from my laptop to my HDTV. Boom.

~Matt

5. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Well, I guess I'll get the US version after all now that I see the bonus disc is included. :)

6. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

Damn you Torontonians! I just checked HMV's website, and two stores in Canada have this in stock - Toronto (Younge) and Edmonton.

Does anyone know if this is available at Walmart? Future Shop and Best Buy don't have a listing on their websites.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

There's still 3 copies sitting in the Ann Arbor Best Buy. I was there yesterday around noon and none were out, but as I was leaving they brought out 4 sets. The dude who asked for em grabbed one, I looked at one and went home to read reviews. Went right past today so I stopped in to see how they doing and the 3 sets still are still there. Now I'm gonna try and wait for next week if they really are having another upgrade sale. Got some dogshit discs I can't do anything with sitting in the car waiting for the next upgrade sale.

So it looks like these are the same as the UK set, but has it been confirmed? No question the discs for 1 and 2/3 are the same as what's already out here (specs, features all identical), but reviews are so mixed for the 2/3 disc I still don't know what to expect. Reviews for the UK set sounded better if not similar so I'm guessing these are the same masters. Just sucks they are still cut, and don't even have the 3D option the dvd set did. Not that home blue and red 3D ever works, but I like to try it every now and then in hopes it might magically start. Torn again, I want the set but wish it was better.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
  8. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

got mine today i had to drive out of the way but it was well worth it

9. lv426

lv426 New Member

So I hit up several stores today and got lucky, one HMV in South Edmonton had 4 copies. All the other stores had none, and the "expert" at futureshop told me that its listed, but has no release date. :eek2:

10. Bluenoser

Bluenoser New Member

The HMV near me was expecting to get three copies in but didn't. The guy said Warner probably was just late shipping it to stores.

11. Drinkinstein

Drinkinstein Member

A BIG warning to any Canadians trying to purchase this, apparently Warners decided that Canada didn't deserve the bonus disc even though its listed on the packaging! Just received mine from amazon.ca and sure enough it shipped in a 4-disc viva elite. 4 BD's, no bonus DVD. The box clearly states 5-disc set and lists the features on said DVD, it just plain doesn't have it. So save yourself some aggravation and forget it for now, wait until the BB exclusive ends and get it from the US if you want a proper box set.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That's ridiculous. It really is. I read somewhere that once the Best Buy exclusivity expires, so does the bonus disc. If that's true, how much did Best Buy pay for the privilege? I thought they were broke, how are they still managing to score these exclusives? I'm guessing they have something worked out with Warner because of the Dark Knight steelbooks and the upcoming "Dark Knight Rises" blu-ray with an exclusive documentary. It just ends up screwing the people that collect blu-rays. I ended up ordering the U.K. NOES set because there were so many unanswered questions about its domestic release. I must say, the half-hour exclusive documentary is very well done. It's no where near as extensive as "Never Sleep Again," but very informative and entertaining just the same. As far as the "Freddy's Nightmares" episodes, I wish they included the pilot episode. I still have the VHS of the pilot released way back when.

13. fceurich39

http://nightmareonelmstreetfilms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13&sid=dc1380c783ceec2b975d2de5d5c3f835 it really is an awesome set

14. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Visually that set looks nice, but Freddy's Nightmares is an absolutely abysmal TV show... I'm a huge fan of A Nightmare on Elm Street, but the series is so boring, poorly written, and executed. I think of the entire series I only enjoyed one, maybe two episodes. That's it.

I actually watched the whole series on 1.5x on my PS3 just to get through it it was that awful.

But back to topic, shame about the Best Buy exclusive and the Canada fuck up... Especially since I'm in Canada and would like to get this set. Looks like I'll order it from the UK or the States but much later on.

15. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The UK set is probably your best bet, as it's roughly $37 CAD shipped on amazon.

~Matt

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It looks like it's finally shipping through their website. How good does Best Buy generally pack things? Boxes, bubble mailers...?

17. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That does look like a nice set and I appreciate the link. Unfortunately, I'm old enough to have watched those episodes when they first premiered. It was a chore to get through them the first time. The only one I really liked was the pilot because it was as close to a prequel as the series ever had. That being said, even the pilot was corny as hell. I can't spend $60 on them. I don't know if I'd pay $30 for them.

18. fceurich39

just an FYI there is an easter egg on the bonus disc!!!!

19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Went to BestBuy tonight. Broke down and bought the set. I guess I will try to schlep my standard DVD set for best cash I can. My Danbury, CT store had 2 left after I got mine.

Be sure to check out other Blu deals there - I grabbed The InnKeepers and Human Centipede II for $9.99 each.

20. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was there tonight as well Prey. Picked up the last two blank Amaray blu-ray cases for the Bond set. I hate the books they were packaged in.