Nightmare on Elm Street Book--Never Sleep Again

Discussion in 'General' started by HrdcorECW1637, Apr 22, 2014.

1. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

It's being discussed here in a related thread, but probably does deserve its own thread.

3. Undeadcow

Undeadcow New Member

It doesn't look like this will make it's ambitious $65,000 goal (not sure if that's a typo).

4. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

That definitely isn't a typo. I'm curious if a publisher will pick this up since the kickstarter doesn't look like it's going to cover it.

5. ImmortalSlasher

ImmortalSlasher Well-Known Member

I usually don't get books like this. But I would like to get Heather Langenkamp's signature on something. If they had the Nightmare on Elm Street British Quad poster as a bonus and had her sign that. I would sign up. It's far better than that book cover.

[​IMG]

Or even if Mondo or someone would make a good alternative Nightmare on Elm Street poster for this project. They haven't made a good one yet. That would get me.

6. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

It's too bad it doesn't cover the entire Elm Street series. Obviously, the original is the best but the "Friday The 13th" book was fantastic because it covered the entire film series and even mentioned the TV show. I bet a comprehensive book covering everything Elm Street and Freddy would get a lot closer to achieving that $65K goal.

7. foller

foller Active Member

Calling the book "Never sleep again" and then only focusing on the first entry is misleading and pointless.

8. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'm more interested in the sequels....

9. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

More Kickstarter crap. These people have been keeping the horror docs coming, so they must make decent coin on them. But instead of re-investing and funding the book themselves, they want us to foot the bill? Fuck that. I don't do Kickstarter, I certainly don't give money to people who are already successful and connected within the industry, and I advise no one else does so either. When the book is published and shows up on Amazon, I will happily consider a purchase. You know, the way things worked before the current e-begging trend.

10. HrdcorECW1637

HrdcorECW1637 New Member

Trust me, independent docs rarely make any money worth talking about.

11. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'm a little torn on this project. I am a HUGE Freddy fan and collector. I even have one of the Dream Master replica gloves signed by Robert that NightmareGloves was offering a few years ago. So, I don't mind to spend a little dough when it comes to Freddy.

However, this project going the Kickstarter route, my main question is... why?

There are books devoted to The Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies, Phantasm series, and Friday the 13th movies... and you're expecting me to believe NO publisher wanted to publish a Nightmare book? Really, guys?

But, that's exactly what they're claiming to anyone who tries to challenge them or say they're just doing it the kickstarter way to be able to keep 100% of profits from sales without a publisher/distributor taking various cuts.

A recent exchange from Facebook...

Then, yesterday, the artist of the cover art all but confirms that this is a Kickstarter only thing...

Milliner even reiterated this point in a new post only an hour ago...

So, yeah, as a fan... I'm torn. I want to believe in this book and it's makers, but at the same time, I have to agree with the Mondo guy. It's a tad on the shady side and not really what Kickstarter was intended to be used for. You're not really contributing to it's printing for sale and distribution in book stores and Amazon and so forth. You're basically just buying it through Kickstarter.

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I love this film and hope that this book achieves its goal. However, what more can be said about this film that hasn't already? I think the only person that hasn't spoken publicly about the film in the last ten years has been Johnny Depp. The conversation that WesReviews posted above has me thinking, the Crystal Lake book was a tremendous success. The Never Sleep Again documentary was even more so. Why would a publisher strip down or remove content?

13. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I waited for a little while on this as I'm iffy on the whole Kickstarter thing, but then decided that I'd rather have this book than not and so I did the pre-order pledge of $50 (I don't need autographs, etc.)

I also heard that if the book is successful, books on the sequels could follow in the near future, which I'm very interested in. A 200 page book on Freddy's Dead? That's so ridiculous it kind of makes me happy (and I am not a fan of that film by any stretch of the imagination).

14. deepred

deepred Member

I will probably pre-order as well as the original Elm Street was my first horror movie and one of my favs and the book looks beautiful. I find it hard to believe that no one would publish this but if this is how they want to publish it, so be it ... I can't see picking up the books for the sequels though. :rolleyes:

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

The books for the sequels will not happen. If they are having this much trouble getting a book on the first film out, do you think a book exclusively on the second film, or Freddy's Dead will sell?

This whole kickstarter is nonsense. The Crystal Lake Memories book was highly successful as were both documentaries. Release a book through Amazon on the whole series and call it a day.

The whole kickstarter thing has really been getting abused the last few years. Whether you like him or not, you got to give Kevin Smith credit for not going through kickstarter to fund his films, stating he has ways to go about and get funding for his stuff, kickstarter should be for the little guy, which I agree with. It's too bad, because the little guy is getting lost with all these big projects taking all the money.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  16. deepred

deepred Member

I agree with you there. I hate being threatened as a potential buyer too - $50 by such and such date or it's locked in the boiler room forever. Dramatic, much? I am only putting my pre-order in if it get's to $65,000. And that's what I am considering this - a pre-order - just done on kickstarter. Maybe for the best as I recall their website's e-mail for Crystal Lake Memories doc was defunct for a while when people were having problems with orders (accidently over-charged, etc) and there was no contact information given for a couple days.

17. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

The whole point of Kickstarter was lost as soon as fucking Spike Lee used it to make a film and he didn't even have the common decency to make a good film out of it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  18. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Damn, that was definitely annoying to read. I'd definitely rather they released this through a publisher so it was at least more readily available. I might put some money towards Kickstarter if they do reach their goal. Problem is that international shipping from them costs as much as the book which is off-putting.

19. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Break the Cycle of Customer Abuse!

ALL YOU WISHY-WASHY PEOPLE WHO ARE ON THE FENCE, TAKE A FUCKING STAND ON THIS!!! That artist's comments / threats that this will never be reprinted, you may never find a copy if you wait, etc., is the nail in the coffin. REFUSE to bend over and be fucked by these guys! I WILL NOT contribute / preorder for the same reason I don't buy BDs from Twilight Time: As a paying customer, I don't appreciate being threatened with an artificial "LIMITED EDITION!!!" moniker. It's just a ploy, an under-handed TRICK to get consumers to pay a premium for something RIGHT FUCKING AWAY. The way the economy is, with money being so tight for so many people, it is REPREHENSIBLE how these wanna-bes MANIPULATE consumers all while playing the part of the cool, little indie guy who needs our help. IT'S BULLSHIT!!! The Criterion Collection doesn't do that shit. Scream Factory doesn't do that shit. Nobody "needs" to do it. Put out a quality product, through regular, legit, distribution channels, and the fanbase will support it. But as a fan, if you try to squeeze my balls, I'm pulling away. Fellow fans, stop being the skinny, sullen BITCH in this abusive relationship. Give them the middle finger with one hand, grab your wallet tightly with the other, and walk away.

20. killit

killit Active Member

I supported these dudes, I mean really why the hell not. Anyone willing to do all this work deserves 50 bucks