Nightmare on Elm Street Book--Never Sleep Again

Discussion in 'General' started by HrdcorECW1637, Apr 22, 2014.

1. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Yeah that's ridiculous, for Canadians to get the book we have to pledge $175! F that noise! I know shipping has increased worldwide, but it definitely doesn't cost $125 to ship a book to Canada!

2. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

After having a quite lengthy discussion with Nathan Thomas Milliner... I feel a bit better about supporting the book, and so I have now done so.

At the end of the day, I'm a die-hard Nightmare fan and these are stories and photos that have never been included in other books and documentaries until now... and so, I'm sold. I look forward to reading it.

3. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'm not paying silly money JUST for shipping to the UK.

I actually just looked at their kickstarter page to see how clise they were. Still 20K down. Even if I wanted to "pre-order" there isn't even an option for me. Unless I want to pay silly money for the book and a load of other shit I don't want.

If fork over $50 for this book via Amazon or something, not like this.

Besides, like most hardcore fans - I've been reading every bit of info about NOES I could find for twenty plus years. What more can they tell?

Besides, didn't they just release a Phantasm book NOT via kickstarter!?!??

I say include the sequels. More akin to the amazing Crystal Lake Memories book and release it properly. Heck I'd pay $$$'s for that!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  4. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm confused.

I think it boils down to this: Are you willing to pay $50 for a hardcover edition of this book? If the answer is yes, the only downside I see to this is they take your money up front if the project is funded. So you prepay for the preorder. Big whoop.

I'm really enjoying all these books lately and will be supporting this project. I have no objections to the creators keeping all the profits. $65,000 or $65 million; if it costs me $50, I'm good. I have no interest in autographs. If it's not funded, well, that's a bummer.

As for Twilight Time, I agree their blus are over priced. I wouldn't mind paying it so much if they created special content like Synapse does. But $30 for what is often bare bones or with partial extras ported over from the DVD? I usually pass.

5. deepred

deepred Member

Yes, I decided to just go ahead and put my $50 pre-order in. Looks like it will be a good book and we know these guys really put their heart into their work from the docs.

Same here ...

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I pay $30 for bare bones blu-ray's if the transfer is worthwhile, especially for films on my wishlist. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is a recent example. It's a German import which has no extras, but the picture quality is superb.

The only issue I have with Kickstarter is it isn't enough to just support a project financially, but you are almost pressured to spread the word so to speak or risk not having the project getting released at all. If I wrote a definitive book about The Twilight Zone (there are three great ones out there), why would I expect other Twilight Zone fans to fund it? It is either good enough for a publisher to determine whether people would want it or not.

When all is said and done, I'm interested in this book and I hope it succeeds. Perhaps I'm just not well enough informed about all the details, but it's hard for me to back something in which if it falls short of its goal by say $200 by a certain date, will be shelved forever.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well I too would buy a bare bones blue for $30+ but I'm incredibly selective in what I purchase these days. I have been reading a lot more than watching movies.

8. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Me too. I think this year (so far) hasn't been that great in terms of selection as far as blu-ray's have been concerned. Even in blu-ray's that are scheduled for later this year. My purchases have been way down thus far.

9. deepred

deepred Member

Same here but I was hoping I was just out growing my need to buy blu-rays. :eek:

10. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I was thinking the same thing. Having a region-free blu-ray player helps. I try to just buy blu-ray's I'll watch more than once. It's hard to believe they've been around for 7-8 years already.

Back on topic, does anyone know how many copies of this book will be pressed should they meet their goal?

11. Dave

Dave Pimp

It was 1000 or 1500. It says on the page.

12. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Yea, it's all crazy money when it comes to shipping. At least if they sold it through a place like Amazon it shouldn't be more than $20 shipping to Australia. $50 shipping for a book is pretty much the nail in the coffin for me. Plus do they actually want us to believe that if they don't make their goal the whole thing will just disappear and never be released? I'm sure with all that time, effort and money that the book will be released eventually anyway.
    I'm hoping they don't make their goal so they'll hopefully consider some more reasonable options.

13. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

My apologies. I tried to find it on the site and was unable. Thanks.

14. deepred

deepred Member

Looks like they have already reached 85% of their goal.

15. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Assholes sent me an email begging for money today. I wish I could post my above rant directly on their Kickstarter page.

To you suckers donating: The book is already written and laid out! Do you really think, if this Kickstarter scam fails, that they won't go to a regular publisher? That instead of getting their work out there and making some money off it, they would really sit on it forever? Really?

16. Dave

Dave Pimp

I dont think that, no. On the other hand, I have no problem supporting the project now.

17. deepred

deepred Member

[​IMG]

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

$61,600 and about 1.5 days to go. Clearly it will be funded.

Anyone on the fence should really consider jumping in. I love these books lately. I bought the five for $200 special. I'm the only one so far who chose that. I guess most want autographs but I don't care about autographs anymore. I may get one in person for the right person just for the experience of meeting someone but no interest in something presigned. I figure get five and offload some on ebay to pay for mine...

I do think they will publish more after this initial pressing but I'm guessing it will be soft covers and these kickstarter ones will be the only hard cover ones.

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Wow. They did it. My hats off to them.

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Well now that it is going to happen I have to decide if I want to put $175 for a fully signed book and poster to Aus :confused: