Nightmare on Elm Street remake a go!

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Dec 12, 2008.

1. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

Jackie Earle Haley is Freddy in NL's NOES remake

This may or may not be great news, but Platinum Dunes have sealed the deal with Warner Bros./New Line to remake A Nightmare on Elm Street, due to start shooting next spring. Further details from ShockTillYouDrop.com's editor Ryan Rotten:

Still disappointed they're not going to Robert Englund to don the hat and shirt for another go 'round, but I guess it depends on who's cast as the new Freddy. And who'll direct is another big factor.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Seems strange that they are going in a different direction despite Englund's desire and ability to do it. Do they really think someone else can do a better job?

3. BroodingHope

BroodingHope New Member

I know to usually take news with a grain of salt, but there was a news story awhile back confirming that Billy Bob Thornton would be playing Freddy. Obviously, this has changed. I'm definitely open for a remake though as I think a lot of the darker themes were never really explored like they could have been.

4. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I wonder if there's a petition to get Englund to reprise his role for this reboot? If not, there oughta be.

5. I'd not even watch it if Robert wasn't Freddy. Fuck that. That's like making Evil Dead with no Bruce.

6. geeare

geeare Guest

But it's a re-make or re-imagining right? why have the same guy play Freddy. Don't get me wrong, I loved him in the other flicks but he has become way too campy and UI think it's time for a fresh new look to Freddy. I, like many I'm sure, was getting really tired with the joking Freddy and that's why I enjoyed the New Nightmare so much I think. I'm really looking forward to this, not as much as the F13 remake tho.

7. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

All I want is a cameo by Robert Englund and Heather Langenkamp in the remake. If they're remaking the first film (and keep the Nancy character, if at all), then it'd be a nice throwback to fans for Langenkamp to play Nancy's mother.

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

"The concept is so scary, don't fall asleep or you'll die. This guy gets you when you're most vulnerable, in your sleep. We love that. That's the basis of the movie. It'll be most similar to the first one but in terms of kills and dreams we'll borrow from the entire series."

Well at least Fuller is honest. He has no creative ideas of his own so he will flat out steal someone else idea. And admit that the original concept is excellent. Thus revealing that he is jealous & wants to cash in on the originator's project.

"It's not Freddy cracking jokes. We want to make a horrifying movie. "

Oh, yea, right. Like the first one wasn't. Also, I could be mistaken, but wasn't those "jokes" the reason why the series is so popular. The public wanted it, and they got it. Not saying everybody loved it or that was the sole reason, but trust me it was a big part of the Freddy franchise. That's why many love Robert England & what he brought to the character.

"Fuller and Form say they're seeking someone new to don the hat and red 'n green sweater, but they're hopeful Englund will be back for a part in the film."

What's the matter? Scared that nobody would want to see your film, so you have to lure England to do a cameo to boost sales?

Fuller = Loser

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I hate the stupid Freddy jokes. More creepiness, death and disturbing images please.

Not sure how I feel about this remake, but I guess it was bound to happen.

10. j tea

j tea New Member

hopefully they will eliminate the stupid 'freddy convertible' from the ending, that ruined the whole movie for me.

11. j tea

j tea New Member

not that i plan on seeing this btw.

12. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

If this turns out as shitty as the F13 remake looks (and the TCM remake was), I'll be skipping this. I'm all for someone else playing Freddy, I guess; I do agree that the unfunny one-liners ruined the series.

I'll give it half a shot but I'm not going to rush out and see this. DVD for me. Rental only.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i thought the tcm remake and the dawn of the dead remakes was awesome

14. I thought the TCM remake was decent, but Dawn of the dead, utter crap.

15. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I loved the Dawn remake and liked the Texas Chainsaw remake quite a bit as well. The new Friday and MBV remakes look promising so far, so I am down with this remake. It's better then nothing, and I agree, there is so much horror potential that a lot of the sequals ever captured. Get rid of the lame one liners and make a scary film again like the two Craven movies were!

16. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

The best remakes distance themselves from the originals and become their own films. With England back in the role of Freddy, people are going to constantly be reminded of the earlier films and won't be able to help comparing the remake to them. It's best for all involved to start with a clean slate.

17. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more!! Well spoken Chunkblower!

18. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

This is going to be so Emma & Julia, especially without Englund.

19. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Gee... ... We're all so lucky. :fucked:

20. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Expect lots of DIGITAL.
    I hope it tanks. I'm so SICK of remakes. I hate seeing movies I already own on DVD! I haven't been the theaters ONCE this year. Need some incentive to go, but there's nothing new to report. :(