Nightmare on Elm Street remake a go!

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Dec 12, 2008.

1. TheDreamMaster

TheDreamMaster New Member

I know, it's outrageous that they want to subject us to more scenes from this movie. ;)

In all seriousness, this is the same as Zombie's Halloween II for me: only gonna purchase it when I can find it for the right price ($5-$10).

They've released unrated DVDs in the past.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Actually I do remember that. It seemed to surface around the time The Hills Run Red was being released so supposedly some stuff got trimmed from that. I thought that was ridiculous.
    I might have to do the same thing. There's no point buying it when there's nothing but a shitty film at offer. Hopefully I'll be able to watch the deleted stuff online.

3. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

If you put whipped cream on a piece of shit, that makes it more appetizing?

I've never really understood or agreed with the mindset that a studio should curry favour from customers who don't like their product to begin with.

4. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Yeah,five bucks would be just about what I'd pay to see the theatrical version again.. and Dream Master,I know that WB has released unrated DVDs in the past,but as Zombie Dude brought up,they made the decision not to release anymore around the time of The Hills Run Red's release, (which had been touted as Unrated in all of the movie's pre-release marketing).I think True Romance might have been the last to go out sans rating.

We'll see how that works out for the out-of-touch idiots on the executive end,when sales figures from the Nightmare DVD come in. ;)

I'm not a Nightmare purist like many, (more a Friday The 13th,beat 'em against a tree in a sleeping bag kinda guy)so I didn't enter the movie expecting a certain amount of one thing over another. That said,the movie experience was just OK.The characters weren't as strong as I might've liked,and largely,the film felt unfinished,(likely due to all of the excised material).

The bottom line is,you enter a movie knowing that several scenes of grue( and *GASP*-character development!) have been cut back,with a director's cut release in the back of your head for the coming months. When you find there will be none,and know that your experience has been personally pissed on by a lazy studio who cares more about remaining "family friendly" than making more money on home video..well,it makes you want to pirate and take money right out of their pocket.Several times,if possible. And so I shall.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  5. TheDreamMaster

I don't know, I would actually think studios would want to cater more to those customers. I mean, if they didn't like the movie, they aren't likely to buy an average release. Good special features might sway someone. It doesn't work like that for me personally, but that always seemed to be the point of special features from a marketing standpoint.

As for WB's unrated releases, I'm pretty sure The Hangover was released that way. Odd about Hills Run Red, I never heard about that (not disputing it either). Especially weird that they'd do that for a DTV release. But with Nightmare, I wonder if Bayer even has a director's cut. That could be why we're only seeing alternate takes and shit.

6. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

The Hangover was a non-violent comedy (except to my senses)...I'm pretty sure WB's policy primarily discriminates against violence(especially sexual) and gore.I recall an interview with Hills' director,stating that there were some elements of rape,along with several shots of bloodshed that WB deemed necessary to trim,despite issuing the CUT version with a warning label on the front.Morons.

Edit*: The link to one of the interviews:http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=11853

And totally agree about the studios,and how they should be expected to cater to buyers' wants, (that is,if they want to make $). I have purchased many films I marginally liked,(and hadn't yet seen) simply due to a stellar disc presentation,and advance word of mouth on the releases. Roger Corman's new special Editions from Shout! Factory are perfect examples. Hadn't seen Galaxy Of Terror, Forbidden Planet,Piranha, or Humanoids From The Deep,and nabbed them all within about three weeks,due to the work put into each film.

Humanoids is completely uncut and unrated-how easy would it have been to slap a cleaned up VHS print of the truncated version on sans features and call it a day? This attention to detail is what makes me one of Shout!'s most avid supporters.

If Nightmare's Bayer doesn't have a director's cut after no doubt reading all of the public's gripes with the film,he might want to join the rest of the film-making world and cut one together.Directors are quick to spill the beans about how much additional footage we're going to see months down the road... never taking into account that they're dealing with a shitty studio to release their film.I hope to God Piranha 3-D's Aja knows what he's talking about in restoring all of the excised fish mayhem.

7. TheDreamMaster

Bear in mind that everything I'm about to say is speculation, but it seems like Fuller and Form had their hands all over this one (as they usually do). Lots of cuts and reshoots came after test screenings, not necessarily from Bayer himself. I don't think anyone from PD has said anything about a Director's Cut though (but I might have missed it).

8. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

'Love your Clu Gulager/Ken Walsh avatar,Dream Master. He (along with lovely Kim Myers) makes Freddy's Revenge watchable.

9. TheDreamMaster

That's cause Clu is the shit!

I think Freddy's Revenge is pretty good otherwise though, not as bad as many fans make it out to be (or maybe made out to be because most seem to like it these days).

10. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

"You know what he did? He used a goddamn cherry bomb."

Clu IS the shit.

And you're right-Freddy's Revenge always was a favorite of mine,even before they started in with the homo-erotic subtext.Freddy's creepy,Lisa's hot,and there's a Final Dude instead of the requisite Final Girl, (even tho' Kim basically took over Final Girl duties and saved Mark Patton's whiny ass from Krueger's claw).

11. Zombie Dude

Seeing as the nature of the film interests me, yes I would find it more appetising. Being a fan of the franchise I have some interest in knowing what went on behind the scenes and seeing what was cut.
    A bland release with next to no extras just makes me want to download it rather than buy it.
    I think you might be right. I heard that there were some pretty heated discussions between producers and director. It wouldn't surprise me if Fuller and Form were the ones who messed this this one up with too much meddling.

No one ever mentioned a directors cut though. That was wishful thinking by the fans. I for one expected it.

12. Chunkblower

Chunkblower Member

If all you're interested in is nuts-and-bolts behind the scenes footage and deleted scenes I can kind of see your point, but you're never going to get any kind of real perspective or inside dirt from studio produced extras for a new release movie. Never.

13. Zombie Dude

But I'd rather a little more meat on my disk than just the feature film. In the case of recent films I don't think I'm asking too much. There's stuff that could be on this disk there yet it's not. That's what pisses me off the most.

14. foller

foller Active Member

Could someone please check the U.S. Blu of "Nightmare on Elm Street" (2010) and tell me if it has German dubbing? I know, the cover doesn't say so but the Blu of the original also had the German dubbing although it was not listed on the cover.
    Thanks!

15. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

No, there is no German dubbed audio track or German subtitles on the U.S. Blu.

16. foller

foller Active Member

Thanks!!!

17. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

Finally caught this one on cable (woulnd't pay a penny for a remake of any of my fav. movies) and it sucked to the point of some scenes made me cringe at comparison with the original, why would they reproduce the scene where freddy comes out of the wall over nancy's bed...with awfull CGI? and badly shot, if they couldn't come up with a better re-imagining they should have just not included it. No mystery in freddy either, he just shows up in the strobe light. I still gave it a 4 out of 10.

18. this movie wasnt too bad actually, they just fucked up Freddy's makeup alot.

19. JGrendel

JGrendel New Member

I'm sorry but what is with this rule that when a movie hits ten years it's gotta be remade by guys who vaguely remember it from there childhoods? For me Robert Englund is Freddy!!!! & no matter how much I like his replacement as an actor, he doesnt have the magic.

20. Zombie Dude

Well he didn't have much of a script to work with. It doesn't help when the lines you have to read are unimaginative and reused from other films.