Nightmare on Elm Street remake a go!

Discussion in 'General' started by mclay18, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

This movie was painfully bad on all levels. I had a very hard time sitting through it. I wanted to just kill it and chuck it out the nearest window. Worse of all the remakes this was just awful.

2. MacabreFilms

MacabreFilms New Member

I just had the pleasure of seeing a print of the original on the big screen a few days ago and it's actually amazing how well it holds up besides a few strange acting moments (mostly from Blakely.)

The remake was just o.k. from a remake standpoint. I've seen worse and I've seen much better. The makeup and script were the film's biggest problems. I didn't like the way they wrote Nancy, but the actress did a decent job trying to rise above it. Katie Cassidy was very likeable as the film's equivalent of Tina, even though her death came off as slightly laughable at times. It just wasn't as brutal or scary.

It's not really a movie I'd want to watch again, but it's significantly better than, say, Freddy's Dead or something. It really did just feel like a decent sequel.

3. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

I wanted to like this film so much but it just straight up sucked. I blame the director. Seriously, how could you screw this up when you have Jackie playing Freddie! What music video director out there is able to turn out a decent horror flick? None!

Even the worst NOES sequel is better than this crap.

Another loving memory tainted. Thanks Hollywood.

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

David Fincher?

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Pwned

6. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

dirkwu's face = covered in egg

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Gave this a second chance on library blu-ray last night. While I found myself enjoying far more than the first theater viewing and having some very cool visuals, it just falls short and doesn't work. I actually really like Haley as Freddy, the voice is fucking awesome.
    Of course Englund will always really be Freddy, but I like this version as well, and wish he was in a better movie.

8. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

Gave this a second chance last night as I picked up the DVD for cheap. It didn't really improve. It has the feel of a below average pg 13 Japanese remake without the ghosts. Everything and everyone was just so forgettable and that includes Haley. I'm also not a fan of the overdone washed our colour pallet. It was also kind of boring which is a term I rarely use as it seems too elementary but I can't find a better word for it. It's the worst of the Serial Killer remakes.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  9. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Boring is the right word. In light of the subject matter, I find it kind of funny that I fell asleep 3 different nights before I was able to get to the end. And each time I started from where I left off before. For a film that short that's my personal record. But it really is that dull.

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I also hate the dream effects they use like the blurry screen edges. The point of Nightmare being scary was not knowing what was real and what was a dream.

11. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

Just watched this again tonight and I definitely enjoyed it more the second time around. Not a great movie by any means and I still can't fucking stand this Nancy, but Jesus I love Connie Britton!:eek:

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

Boy do I agree with that last statement. It's always on cable so I see bits and pieces. Nancy is so horrible, and it didn't help that the actress came out and said she never had any interest in the part. The soundtrack is good, but the special effects are hideous.

13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

still wish the rest of the deleted scenes would show up online or somethin

14. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I agree. The Blu-ray was a huge disapointment. I wonder if the sequel will see the light of day.

15. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Same. I definitely thought we'd see some sort of alternate cut when it hit dvd.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

a sequel or something needs to happen

17. mclay18

mclay18 New Member

I doubt it. It made a profit, like the Friday remake, but for some odd reason New Line/WB didn't pull the trigger on it (they did commission a script for Friday the 13th: Part 2 from Shannon and Swift but never greenlit it). Maybe they paid attention to the negative feedback it got from the older fans... which seems both unfair and justified at the same time. I really want to see Haley put on the glove, fedora, and sweater again! He gave Freddy his own unique turn... on par with Englund IMO.

As for Rooney Mara, she proves in The Social Network and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo that she can really act. She was miscast as Nancy, and her part wasn't that well-written to begin with. I think the producers should've cast someone closer in spirit to Heather Langenkamp (not looks-wise but the way she held herself) and not written Nancy as some emo chick.

18. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

That was my main gripe with her- fuckin' emo shit!

19. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

20. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Colour me disappointed by the lack of a Friday the 13th sequel. It was infinitely more entertaining than the NOES remake, IMO, and I would have loved to see more of Jason on the big screen.