Nightmare on Elm Street series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by kyouki, Jan 7, 2006.

1. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I just picked up the Nightmare on Elm Street collection and have been working my way through reliving the memories of first watching these great movies.

The first time around I watched them on VHS (pan & scan), so seeing them all cleaned up in widescreen is pretty interesting.

Here was a big shock for me: I've watched parts 1-4 again so far, and I enjoyed part 2 the most. Even a bit more than I enjoyed part 1. Though the endings are pretty lousy in both movies. Part 3 was alright, with some pretty great old school special effects, but I think you can really tell they were sort of grasping for straws by that one. Part 4 was such a late 80s movie in every way.

I know people tend to hate part 2, but did anyone else enjoy it (at all)?

Next up is The Dream Child! I'm a little excited because I've never seen this one as I had a hard time tracking it down on VHS back in the day.

2. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

The FX in part 4 by Screaming Mad George is excellent. For some reason I really like part 4. It is a very 80's film as you said but the soundtrack and the kills were pretty cool to me anyways. It would be my second favorite in the series.

3. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Part 2 is my favourite its a great cheesy 80's film.

1 and 3 are the most serious ones and are my two other fave's.

Part 4 is fun but a bit long, 5 is terrible poor film. I like 6 but just because its funny and New Nightmare is pretty decent.

4. SaviniFan

Oh yeah, I hated the posession angle used in part 2, so count me as one of those that dislikes it.

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I have to rewatch all of these films one day, but I'd say that the Wes Craven films (first one, 3rd one and New Nightmare) are the ones I like the most. Unlike everyone else on this earth I love Part 6 and have no special love for Part 4 (although I am probably Renny Harlin's no. 1 (and only) fan). Part 2 ... didn't really like it much a few years ago, but am interested in seeing it again. Haven't seen no. 5, which I find kind of funny. I'll watch them all one weekend soon ...

6. Golgo13

Golgo13 Guest

Haven't seen 2-6 in a long time. New Nightmare is interesting but ultimately boring.

7. kyouki

kyouki Guest

The roach motel kill in part 4 probably goes down as the most memorable NoES kill for me... some very good effects in that one.

From what I remember of my VHS days, Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare were both pretty boring. We'll see how they are on the second viewing, in widescreen on DVD (in 3d! in the case of Freddy's Dead!) of course.

8. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

New Nightmare, although some may find it boring, has a very, very smart and interesting script. It's very clever :) And I don't think it's boring at all ...

9. AndiOne

AndiOne New Member

I like nr 2 very much, is the second greatest after the first one

10. latenite

latenite Guest

2 is one of my favorites of the series. it ranks up there with 1, 3, & 4.

11. Marco

Marco Guest

I like them all except of part 7. It just doesn't work for me. I think the best would be 1,3 and 5

And what about freddy vs Jason? Didn't think is was that bad

12. Midnight Buddha

Midnight Buddha Member

Think i`ll get this box set, it`s out in the uk as a 7 disc set, pretty cheap too at around £17

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Loved the first film and Wes Craven's New Nightmare was ok, but the rest of the series leaves me cold.

14. evildeadfan123

evildeadfan123 Sam & Dean Winchester

I like them all, but I think the weakest of the series is possibly # 6. It was okay.

15. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i didnt like part 5
    i do hope they will release part one as as a 2 dvd special edition as originally planned long ago

16. I liked the second movie too. I dig the dark undercurrent of the whole thing, and it's pretty mean spirited all the way. The third was cool too - probably the last real genuine 'horror' episide in the series. After that, things got a bit silly, and each new episode was a pretty bad excuse for New Line to give one of their directors a trial run on a horror movie, and for 5 FX crews to go crazy with pyrotechnic ideas.
    They are all pretty fun to watch though, just like the Friday 13th movies. Pure Friday night viewing stuff.

17. atann

atann Guest

I liked 1 and 3 the best, but I loved the second one when I bought the box set.

18. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Just watched The Dream Child this morning, and I was a little impressed. It might have just been because I had never seen it before, but it kept my interest a bit more than The Dream Master. It sure did look great! The comic book scene was embarassing though... in terms of awkwardness (the kind where you just sit there in silence hoping the scene will end soon) that whole scene reminded me of the scene from Dream Warriors with the Wizard Master. I also thought there were parallels between the comic book kid in ...Child and the brother in ...Master in that they were both so "quirky" in that late 80s/early 90s teenager Hollywood way.

Next up is Freddy's Dead with the 3d glasses! I think it's going to be terrible. :(

19. SaviniFan

And you would be right. But I do love the Alice Cooper cameo. :)

20. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It is. And get ready for yet another embarrassing "awkward" teen courtesy of a young Breckin Myer. (groan)