Nightmare on Elm Street series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by kyouki, Jan 7, 2006.

1. lv426

lv426 New Member

I love the NOES movies, even pt 2. Now if you want to see Freddy at his cheesiest you need to track down his T.V. show called Freddys' Nightmares. Thats the good stuff right there.

2. onebyone

onebyone Guest

For varying reasons, I love all of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I just love Freddy, in all of his various incarnations.

3. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Part 4: The Dream Master gets dumped on a lot and honestly I don't know why. I think it's one of the best, right up there with 1 and 3. It has the highest body count of the series. Krueger's makeup looked really good in part 4 and this was the last film in which I found him to be scary. I also loved Tuesday Knight as Kristen. Part 5: The Dream Child is the worst of the series for me. Krueger's makeup was way too soft and smooth. It almost had a polished look, not rough and ugly like the first four films. Only 3 kills. (I think parts 1 and 6 only had 3 kills each too, but at least those films had interesting stories to make up for the small body counts.) The whole pregnancy/Freddy invading the dreams of an unborn child/Jacob thing turned Krueger into a pussy of some sorts. This wasn't the same hellish demon we knew from the previous films. This was a softer, gentler Freddy Krueger. About the only good thing from Nightmare 5 was Lisa Wilcox returning as Alice. Nightmare 2: Freddy's Revenge used to be the worst for me, but I've come to appreciate it much more over the years. It's very dark and the nightmare sequences are very effective, but it still has it's problems.

My order, best to worst

1, 3, 4, 7, 6, 2, and 5

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

The first is of course by far the best- part two was kinda weak and kinda seperate from the rest since the rest of the movies afterwards kind of all linked together with characters and story- Freddys dead is the only truly awful one in the bunch with a new nightmare being a clever idea afterwards

5. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I know I'm in the minority, but give it a chance. It's not as horrible as you'd imagine (it looks pretty good and it's never boring ... sure it has its unintentional laughs, but it's all good and fun!) :p

6. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

I think 1-3 are solid gold, part 4 is really good, part 5 is pretty bad, part 6 sucks and part 7 is unwatchable.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I haven't watched any of them except for the original in a while but I've always liked everything from 1-5 and A New Nightmare. Never could stand Freddy's Dead though. I never understood why people didn't like part 2 though. I took forever to see it because my friends all told me it was crap but I decided to give it a try and thought it was great.

Best is still the original, follwed closely by Dream Warriors, A New Nightmare and then 4,2,5......and 6 of course way back from the pack.

8. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

This is very close to my opinion except I can handle 6 much more than 5.Dreamchild puts me to sleep.New Nightmare is overlong and boring.

9. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

New Nightmare is my favorite of the bunch, followed by Freddy's Revenge, the original and Dream Warriors. I used to like the original more than the second film, but the last time I revisited it, it felt sort of messy overall, I realized how bad Heather Langenkamp's acting is (she's much improved in NN) and the ending irked me more than it had in the past. Still a good film, just not as good as I used to think.

4 and 5 are the worst of the series for sure despite my fondness for Lisa Wilcox.

The wizard master scene rules! My friends and I always get a good laugh out of that. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2009
  10. Part II was the one I've seen the most when growing up (one of the 1st bought VHS tapes), so I'm knida sick of it, but it HAS been several years since seenig the entire series.

I have the suondtrack for Parts 4 & 5. Love Kills kicks ass on IV!!! Why is there so much hate for 5? I thought it was a good entry into the series. If anything Part VI killed the series, leaving New Nightmare for dead at the box office despite its decent attempt to renew the series.

11. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I like Dream Warriors. Why?

"Dream Warriors" by Dokken. Nothing can top it, ever.

12. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Exactly.

[​IMG]

13. Noto

Noto Guest

Can anyone send me an mp3 of that? The song is completely awesome but I don't have the CD (I do have the vinyl LP though)

14. kyouki

kyouki Guest

I watched Freddy's Dead last night, and maybe it was due to low expectations, but I felt it was pretty entertaining. It's a short movie, but it went by extremely quickly. The humor was sort of hit and miss, but I appreciated that they seemingly didn't even try to take the movie seriously, whereas I get the impression in the previous few Nightmare films that although they were a little jokey they were still attempting to make a scary movie. I think Freddy as a character should be either totally serious (NoES 1 and probably 2) or totally goofy (Freddy's Dead). When he is a little serious and a little silly, it doesn't work for me.

So, this is the second time I've seen this movie, and the first time on DVD in widescreen. Not bad! Next up is (obviously) New Nightmare.

My ranking so far:

NoES2
    NoES1
    NoES3
    NoES6
    NoES5
    NoES4

15. kyouki

kyouki Guest

Just got done watching Wes Craven's New Nightmare. This is the second time I've watched this film... the first on DVD.

Out of all the NoES films, this is the only one that bored me silly. As bad as some of the other movies were, they were at least entertaining. I'd rather watch a bad movie than one that just puts me to sleep.

I have all these pet peeves about movies, and they were all in this one. So this movie really affected me on a personal level.

My pet peeves:
    -Stupid flashbacks to earlier scenes of the movie you are currently watching.
    -Repeating dialogue from earlier scenes of the same movie in order to be "clever."
    -Kids acting "scary"
    -The power of a mother's love conquering all
    -Heroine acting completely out of character at the end and screaming "FUCK YOU"
    -Heroine saying things like, "This sounds crazy but..." knowing that no one will believe her, and even if they did there's nothing they can do. A lot of times this is played out in a scene where the character will wake up from a dream/hallucination and scream out "IT WAS JASON/FREDDY/MICHAEL MYERS!!!!!"
    -TV/Radio/Computer is playing... but it's unplugged!!!

Now, I can deal with one or two of those in a movie. But when every single one of those things is in a movie I end up rolling my eyes so often I start to get a headache.

So anyway, needless to say I thought the movie was way too long.

Also, the special effects were really terrible. Freddy was about as scary as he was in parts 4 and 5. He wasn't quite as goofy as he was in part 6. The stretchy body parts bit was stupid looking. I don't care that he did a similar thing in NoES1. I didn't even like how he looked... his face looked like a mask rather than a makeup effect. The tongue part was funny as heck, yet I did not laugh while I watched it. It seemed like it should have been in NoES6.

There were some things I liked:

-Heather Langenkamp looks better in this movie (at 30) than she did in the first movie (at 20). I was stunned!!
    -I liked the scene where the movie transitions from "reality" to "Nightmare on Elm Street." It was done very well.
    -John Saxon is a timeless vampire or something. The man doesn't age.

16. Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego Guest

I remember the first time I saw New Nightmare it kind of freaked me out (mainly the babysitter in the hospital room) but after the last couple of views on DVD it drags on quite a bit. Great idea though...
    We saw Part 6 in the movies when it came out and I'm pretty sure I've still got the 3D glasses somewhere.
    Gah I feel really old now...

17. spiralboi83

spiralboi83 Guest

I love all the Elm Street films, even some slack of storyline, They are just entertaining, But my least favorite is Freddy's Dead. Freddy Rules!

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

19. I too saw it in theatres (actually I saw part 3 twice, Part 4 twice, parts 5, 6 & 7 in theatres). I still have my 3D glasses (I went with 6 people and all of them gave me their glasses after the movie). Guess where I ended up storing them? In the snapper case for Part VI of my box set! So there's like 8 pairs of 3D glasses in there (they have an advertisement for House Party 1 or 2 on the side of the glasses if I recall).

I'll never understand why 5 gets so much heat?!?! I thought it was just as good as 3 & 4, if not a bit creepier in some parts. the director (Stephen Hopkins) directed some other old school favs of mine, Judgement Night and Predator 2 (though he did make that stinker Lost In Space movie).

If I had to put them in order from fav to no so fav (top to bottom):

Part 1
    Part 3
    Part 4
    Part 5
    Part 2
    Part 7
    Part 6

Though I ranked part 7 as low as I did, I think the end sequence (where nancy tries to save her son) was an awesome chapter...the rest of the movie drags a bit TOO much for my taste. Funny sh*t is, if I recall correctly from the DVD, Craven was going for a more "mature" storyline since he figured the big fans of 1 are now grown & likely with kids, which is why he wrote the New Nightmare story.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2006
  20. Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego Guest