Nightmare on Elm Street series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by kyouki, Jan 7, 2006.

1. BoredSeal

BoredSeal New Member

NoES1-4 are my favorites. NoES5 was average. I really HATE NoES6. NoES7 was nothing special but it was at least stupid-jokes-free :)

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

It's a good series that I loved as a kid. I recently started rewatching some of them, but only at night during my 'falling asleep mode' (maybe not a good idea?). But really, I should go through the whole series, original to newest nightmare.

Part 1 is definitely the best. The only one I really don't like is Part 2, followed by Part 6.

3. Im still waiting for NewLine to release Nightmare 5 unrated. They release Poison Ivy 2 & Embrace of the Vampire Rated/Unrated but not Nightmare 5 !? I dont see why they cant. Jason Goes to Hell is unrated on DVD, so is Leatherface. :(

4. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I flat-out LOVE 1 and New Nightmare. Part 2 and 3 I will watch for nostalgia value only. Part 4 was once my favorite - it has my favorite ensemble cast - and I still like it, so it's 3rd on my favorite list. Never really liked 6 and 5 was an entertaining show.
    I think 1 and New Nightmare were the only ones I found genuinely intrigiuing and frightful. When I saw the original 1984 classic at the theater the day it opened, I left the showing a complete mess - I had the major shakes and my heart was racing. It was a warm Autumn day but the hair on my arms was standing on end and I couldn't stop shaking! I was in LOVE with the movie because I wasn't expecting "that".
    Oddly, when I saw the grainy TV spots, I thought the film was one of those "long-shelved" films from the late '70s finally given a one-week release. Imagine my shock at the glossy feature film that unveiled itself that first day! I had lost track of horror films from '83 to '84 - this film put me right back in the fan circle.

5. After reading this I went into IMDB and found this

Argh! I gave away my VHS tape like 3+ years ago! Figures! :cry:

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Hmmm....I recall these scenes in the theatre and was puzzled by their exclusion on DVD.

7. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Ahhhh, but have you even watched this one since, or think you ever will again?:)
    Don't feel bad, I traded my laser a few years back as well, cuz I didn't think I'd ever watch it again.

I'm suprised NL won't do better dvds for this series. The box is cool but missing a lot. Thought it went out of print but I think it came back with a cheaper price tag. That don't sound good for better discs, unless they're clearing out a warehouse before new ones are announced.

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I have the song, and can send it to you later on today if you still want it. And yes, it totally rocks. I'm so happy New Line included the music video in the Nightmare Encyclopedia! Brings back memories! :D

9. Noto

Noto Guest

Thanks Ryan, and everyone else that has generously offered to send me a Dream Warriors mp3. I've got it now. :) You guys are mostly awesome.

10. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

I do own the Nightmare on Elm Street laserdisc whith all the extras that did not make it on to dvd and also NOES Part 5 with the all the cut scenes that did not make on to the theatre's and dvd. For me being a huge nightmare fan I had to own these.

11. bigdaddyhorse

Oh yeah, me too. I kept that laser despite transfering everything not on the dvd set (movie & trailers left out) to a dvd-r with the "No More Mr. Nice Guy" episode of Freddy's Nightmares.
    5 just didn't hold up for me, and I hated it even un-cut.

12. gore

gore Guest

So part 5 isnt uncut in the box set?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2006
  13. bigdaddyhorse

Nope. According to dvdcompare, all dvds are the R-rated theater cut. The uncut version has only been released on vhs and laserdisc so far.

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I too just picked up the box set (as a Valentine's day gift to myself) i have watched films 1-4 so far and i love them all! I can see why people don't like part 2, it reminded me of Jason Goes to Hell abit, but i still liked it, i loved the part where Freddy rips out Jesse. Part 1 is still my fave, i really really loved Part 3, Part 2 & 4 are great too! I just started part 5!!
    i cant wait to sink my teeth into the bonus disc! i love this set so far! :D

u can find the uncut scenes on youtube here and here

15. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Here's my take,just my opinion of course...

Despite some technical limitations the original film is still very effective and the Freddy character was genuinely scary.
    Pt. 2 isn't as good as the original but does have some of the most quoted lines from the series.The unusual anti gay subtext is a little odd.The male hero turns in a fairly bad performance.
    Pt. 3 is a fun technical piece,it has some clever ideas and was probably the last time Freddy was somewhat frightening.
    PT. 4 was when the franchise was in full phenomenon phase.It's big,flashy,kinda silly but still fun.
    PT. 5 is messy and mean spirited.It needed a rewrite.It has the odd good moment but by this point the cracks were really beginning to show in the series.
    PT.6 is campy and broad.Cameos and silly gags plus the 3-D gimmick showed that no one was really taking the series seriously anymore.I don't dislike it (though many do),but it is VERY lightweight.
    PT. 7 is a good idea that I don't think they quite pulled off.Freddy was perhaps too much of a pop figure to fully return to his scary roots.Some good bits,slickly made,but it never really hooked me.

FREDDY VS. JASON is kind of a fan boy film ala ALIEN VS. PREDATOR,just a chance to see two of horrors favorite bad boys duke it out.As such I don't guess it's all that far removed from stuff like FRANKENSTEIN VS. THE WOLFMAN.It's light,has a couple of clever ideas and splashes a lot of blood.Fun enough but not overly memorable.

I was lucky enough to have seen all of these in the theater,in fact I saw pt. 4 at a premiere in which it was preceeded by the first three pictures.Great fun.

16. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I rewatched Part 4 yesterday and I was really cringing at how bad it aged. The whole "yeah, we're bad ass so let's go kick Freddy's ass" vibe here was even worse and more corny than Part 3's. I think the scene with Alice getting ready in front of the mirror, taking the pictures down and what have you, is a perfect example of this. The sets, effects, and direction are great, and it shows the promise that Renny Harlin has as a director (Despite the numerous horrible productions he has taken on, he has made awesome action flicks such as Die Hard 2 and Cliffhanger), but god damn the acting and dialogue are just piss-poor, even Lisa Wilcox, who many seem to praise. Just my opinion on the matter.

Freddy's Dead isn't that great, but at least it got rid of the whole Dream-Warrior, Master, Child, etc. shit from 3-5.

17. vampyr789

i finished The Dream Child last night...it was okay. it has some funny scenes w/ Freddy, Dan's transformation was pretty cool. But it needed more deaths, it only had 3! I gave it four stars b/c it was fun, but though it got dull and dragged at times.

Im gonna watch Freddy's Dead and New Nightmare today.

18. Alright confession time, to my fellow hardcore Slasher fanatics. I was never the biggest hardcore Freddy fanatic. I do own the now standard everyone-must-seemingly-get-it-to-call-themselves-a-slasher-fanatic boxset, and the InfiFilm edition of the first (and slightly overrated) original, but that's it. Won't be seeing the up coming remake and don't wanna own anymore of'em.

Gotta say I tend to break hardcore Slasher film cannon tradition by liking alot the very dark and bleak Part 2. I was never bothered by the totally out of left field Homoerotic subtext (and oddly enough, never noticed it as a young'en renting the Media home entertainment vesions of these babies; but fuck did I ever notice it now), or the acting. I find the performances average/solid and on par with this whole time frame to be quite honest. Always dug old Clu in this one (from Return of the Living Dead); such a nice hammy performance in this one.

Lisa Myers as the Maryl Streep look-a-like that she is was a nice supporting cast member and smokin' hot as always (Note: Ever see the obscure long canceled series Perversions of Science? She shared an episode with Heather Legenkamp from Part 1). Always wished she'd done more. The storyline might've broke the harden fast bible of the first film, but I like how it made some of it's own rules. Plus there's no reason to hate it since Part 3 ignores it anyhow. Gotta say I love the same year's Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning, for many other eccentric reasons as well. Fine black sheep of that series.

I honestly never had a problem following it, or thought it didn't make sense. An example of this is that many always wondered why the S&M loving masochistic gym coach made Jesse run laps in the middle of the night; answer is he's an athority figure who cought him underage drinking in his fave hang-out spot. He can do to Jesse whatever he wants and get away with it. Gotta agree it's very dark and underrated. Lots of cool things about it, like that Raimi-esque shot that starts in the basement, with the furnice turning on, and tracks all the way up stairs. And the slow-motion sequence of Jesse sleeping/dreaming and finding the jump roping girl singing the infamous theme song to herself in an up stairs bedroom.

After that, I enjoyed Parts of 3, though I find the acting in that to be underdone and subpar to be quite honest (go figure, I know) and I like a lot of the Renny Harlin directed Part IV. After that, the series can go to Hell. Never liked none after that to be perfectly honest ...

19. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

I like all of the Nightmare films except Freddys dead.....

I just think that film was too campy....

New Nightmare was my personal favourite because I love Heather Langenkamp's performance in it.....

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  20. vampyr789

i just finished Freddy's Dead...and i loved every minute of it!
    the special effects were pretty cool! i loved the head explosion, and Spencer's dream gave me some laughs. i loved the 3D sequence too.
    i can see why people don't like it, but i loved it i give it four and a half stars. it needed some more deaths and gore.