Nightmare on Elm Street series

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by kyouki, Jan 7, 2006.

1. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

This IMO is one of the worst horror franchises. The movies just got so bloody stupid. Freddy became a wise-cracking mouthy smartass and it COMPLETELY took away from his character. Part 1 was good because Freddy was a terrifying character, 2 was a decent follow-up (albeit its homoerotic overtones), then 3 started to get a little silly and by the 4th, the series just went stale.

~Matt

2. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

and your thoughts on New Nightmare?

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Well New Nightmare brought something fresh to the series. A different approach, anyway. I remember liking it more than most of the previous entries, but I'd have to watch it again to give you a better analysis.

~Matt

4. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

My feelings exactly.

I liked 3 a lot but in retrospect it is where the train started coming off the tracks. I remember seeing 4 in the theater and the crowd was SO ready... and it totally fell flat.

5. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

well yeah, even though i love the movies, parts 4,5, and 6 were bad. Freddy isnt scary at all. but i still love it.

6. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I like all the films except part 6. And I agree, part 2 isn't as bad as people make it out to be. It has some really creepy moments, and is the last time the franchise was actually somewhat scary.

7. Yup. I feel it's mainly shit on cause of the HomoErotic elements. It's actually not some legendary bad movie, by any means, and Jack Shoulder's talent that he showed on Alone in the Dark (1982) and The Hidden (1987) shines well though. The score for Part 2 is one of the composer's best. Lisa Myers really reminds me of other Slasher fatales on the screen like Amy Steel and the like in that I truely wish she had been in some more genre films over the years. When I finally saw he in thelate '90s on Letters from a Killer, I went ga-ga apeshit goin' "Whoa, it's Lisa! Glad to see her :D".

Gotta agree I never got all of the fanboy and critic spewing hatred it has recieved over the years, but then again, I tend to personally enjoy and own and love some of the more hated entires in the more loathed entries in the major Slasher franchises (Halloween 6 theatrical cut, Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning, ect).

Also being the last without much wise crackin' Freddy seals the deal for me. Plus most of what followed afterwards, people should go back and re-watch, truely WAS terrible. Just my own two cents ...

8. grodd

grodd New Member

Like the F13 series they got really bad after 4. Although New Nightmare was good. 2 was kind of dumb also, but better than 5 and 6. If we are counting FvsJ, I thought it was't that bad. In order something like this: 1,3, NewNightmare, FvsJ, 4, 2,5,6.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  9. Alan Smithee

Alan Smithee Member

I still enjoy most of the series. The only one that is completely unwatchable for me is 6, and I don't think 2 is that great (but I don't hate it either). New Nightmare is kind of meh. I love 3. I think it has a great concept, cool characters, and of course Dokken. 4 is one of my favorites; I guess I'm in the minority on that one. I used to really hate 5 but its kind of grown on me over the years. For me the best of the series would be 1, 3, and 4.

10. Cantona07

Cantona07 New Member

I like Parts 1 and 2. Freddy is very serious, dark and grusome. Part 3 is great as well.

11. Indeed. I feel that is why the first two are the best in the franchsies' cannon, cause Freddy is mostly kept in the shadows (where he belongs) and is more mean spirited, as he should be. Goin' jokey with the character and over producing some now hard to find merchandise made him a mini '80s cashcow for New Line (one ya go AntiHero, bye bye suspence and finding the character menacing). But too bad a lot of the later sequels, I'm sorry, are pretty unwatchable to me. *shrugs* Ultimately Freddy isn't really that much of a character to warrent that many sequels, but alas, to each they're own.