Nightmares DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by Mark Relford, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

This excellent 80's horror anthology doesn't get much mention here. Any fans? It has four segments: A yummy Cristina (The Sentinel) Raines falls victim to a real life urban legend. In my favorite segment, Emilio Estevez is addicted to an arcade machine. Will he beat the Bishop?:D The third segment is a satanic version of Duel with Lance Henriksen. And last but certainly least, a family has a HUGE rat problem. Of Unknown Origin was better...
    Anyone have the DVD? If so, how's the transfer?

2. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This is one of my top five favorite anthologies easily, and it has been ever since I first saw it on late night TV many years ago! The stories are some of the best in any anthology film, and with great actors like the gorgeous Cristina Raines and the cool Lance Henriksen, this film simply can't lose! Anyhow, I too would like to know what the transfer on the DVD is like, as I didn't know it was on DVD, and I'll buy it in an instant as long as its not pan and scan or something.

3. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

Well, the disc is full-frame...however, Nightmares started out as a made-for-TV movie, and only got theatrical distribution after the fact. So, the Anchor Bay disc has the correct aspect ratio even though it's full-frame.

That being said, I thought the disc looked pretty decent. It's been a while since I've watched it (need to watch it again though) but I remember being fairly impressed with the transfer (especially for it being, essentially, a TV movie from the early 80's). I'd never seen the film before DVD, so I don't have any VHS experience with it to compare, but it looked alright. I highly recommend the film and the disc to all horror anthology fans.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2003
  4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I love this film and I really need that DVD!

by the way Mark, Scarface is getting that 16:9 SE this September 9th (we talked about this at the chat). :banana:

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Thanks for the info, Wes. I must have this disc!

6. Mark Relford

Great news! I can't wait to replace the old one. Amazon Women on the Moon is getting a SE on August 26. Fun movie!

Thanks, Wes. I'm dying to see it again!

7. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Woohoo I gotta upgrade my Amazon women now. Good news!

8. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I just watched this on UniversalHD last night and I really enjoyed it. I kept asking myseld throughout "How is it that I have never seen this before?". I was thinking about trying to score the OOP DVD but after searching the net for a bit, I think I'll be DVD-R'ing this puppy.

I'd have to rank it as my third favorite anthology, behind Creepshow and Cat's Eye.

9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The 13th level is a bitch!

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Fun film.The DVD transfer looks fine,but as it is out of print,you might have to go the e-bay route .

11. dirkwu

dirkwu Bannable Lector

[​IMG]

The Bishop of Battle was a freaking awesome segment. Loved it. It came on Time Warner's free movies on demand not too long ago.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Is that really the correct order? I saw it upon theatrical release as a kid and maybe once or twice in the late 80s-early 90s but I've always remembered the Duel story as coming earlier in the movie, maybe even as the first story. Wouldn't surprise me if I'm wrong though. My memory of things that happened so long ago are notoriously shaky.

The Bishop of Battle was always my favorite.

13. Mark Relford

Maybrick, that's the order on the DVD. Maybe it was different for the big screen(?) I've always remembered the Cristina Raines segment being the first one. The AB DVD is going for a pretty penny. Universal (Do they own the rights again?) should re-release it.

14. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I'd say the rights have reverted back to Universal. Much like The Car, I'm sure Universal will re-release this title eventually one day.

15. booper71

booper71 Lord of the Thighs.

That is one video game I was dying to play!

16. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

And knowing Universal, the antiquated AB versions will probably be superior, or just as good. :lol:

The Car and Nightmares are in my collection, and I'm not letting 'em go anytime soon! :)