No more Panasonic plasmas

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Paff, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The refinancing of my condo left me with a little more cash in my bank account than usual, plus I had a couple of Best Buy gift cards, so I decided to browse their selection of Panasonic plasma TVs to replace my 42".

First store I went to had none, which I found rather odd. But the salesman was kind of an F-up (I don't think he appreciated my sarcastic comment when his computer froze so he started pressing the mouse button harder). Decided to check out a smaller BB near my home, and the guy informed me that Panasonic wasn't making plasma screens anymore. The only ones he had (and these were warehouse, not in-store stock) were a step up from what I had in mind. But since I now realized my window of opportunity was closing to get a Panasonic plasma, I plunked down the extra $$$

Long story short, a little research indicates that the salesman was being truthful; plasma TVs from Panasonic will be extinct after March of 2014, if not sooner. I find plasma displays to be the best for movie viewing, and Panasonic to be the most reliable brand. It will be a sad day when they're no longer available. If anyone likes plasmas like I do, you might want to grab one now before they're gone forever.

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I read about this. I've had the same Panasonic plasma for the past four or five years, and now would definitely be the time to upgrade. Which did you decide on? I did hear the current 3-D model isn't up to snuff compared to other 3-D brands, and costs a few hundred more. I was kind of torn between 3-D or not. I don't have much enthusiasm for 3-D, but wouldn't mind watching my Creature from the Black Lagoon blu-ray in it's original format.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's true. We've known for about 3 or for months now. They're pretty much extinct already since most 2013 models are already NLA. Panasonic has lost billions of dollars over the last two years so this year they only produced the number they knew they could sell, and too be frank the Samsung plasmas simply aren't as good. They're close but they just don't have the same up and down angle of view.

4. Franco

Franco Weekender

These last series of Panasonic plasma TVs have a longer duration regarding its brightness? I never bought a plasma but I read long ago, when they were starting to be marketed, that these kind of TVs lose their brightness much faster than other TVs based in other technologies (CRT, LCD, LED, etc.).

I may buy a plasma now since here they're still selling 'em as well... But it would be important to know that. How much time will a decent brightness remain in these TVs?

5. maybrick

Both LCD and Plasma panels will last decades with plasma lasting longer, but that really isn't the issue. The main problem is the boards. Good luck finding replacement parts beyond 6 years out, and with many budget brands forget about finding any beyond 3. Bottom line: the screen will likely outlast all of the other components in your set, but without everything else the panel doesn't do you a bit of good. Average life span for a set 20 years ago was 20-30 years. Now, you're lucky to get 10.

6. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

OLED had better be as advertised. I love my Samsung Plasma.

7. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yea its a bummer - I love my Panny Plasma I got in 2011 and I got it for an affordable price. As far as OLED it sounds like major companies are possibly more interested in pushing 4k sets:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Sony_and_Panasonic_End_OLED_Partnership/13445

That was probably the best decision since they will be gone now - spend a little extra get a little nicer set isnt a bad thing if you have the money. My 3D plasma has been wonderful since I got it almost a 2 and a half years ago. I have a 50 inch 2011 GT Model.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I got the VT60. It's better than the basic ST, which is what I had my eye on, but those are totally gone now. But I'm glad I stepped up in quality, since it's the last plasma I'll ever own. Yeah, it's 3-D and I hated paying extra for that since I only have one eye.

I'm guessing OLED will be the replacement for plasma eventually, and at least I have several years while they perfect the technology and lower the prices.

9. maybrick

There really is no comparison between a 2D and a 3D plasma. Even if you never use it's 3D capabilities you are getting a far better picture with increased detail and black levels that you couldn't have gotten otherwise. You can see the difference in the quality of the panels even with the power turned off. Those VTs aren't cheap, but boy are they sweet!

10. coldheart

coldheart Member

If everything goes right,I'll have my ZT 65in. in two weeks.:eek:

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

You know, one thing to think about when looking at the massive cost of these TVs is, how much do you plan to spend on content? Believe me, I balked at the VT as it was several hundred dollars more than what I wanted to spend. Then I realized that between AT&T Uverse and Netflix, I'll have spent more on content for this new screen than the screen itself by October of 2014.