Noir

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Paff, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Is anyone watching (or has watched) this Anime series? I'm about 4 episodes and I'm digging it big time. It's about two assasins, one French, the other Japanese. Kirika, the Japanese girl has amnesia, and barely says a word. But she is freakin MEAN with the gun!

The opening theme is one of my favorites, the art is beautiful, I love the characters, the style, etc.

Man, Japanese animation is where it's at....

2. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

I've never even heard of NOIR until now. I just added the Vol. 1 set to my Netflix rental list so I can check it out in the next month or so.....as it does sound worth checking out. I haven't had a chance to watch any new anime in the past few months, save for PLEASE TEACHER......which was, at times, like watching a really bad sitcom......

Last edited: Sep 19, 2003
  3. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I thought Noir was pretty bland and generic. the 'gorgeous female assasin' gig has been done way too many times in anime and by now its just tired. Especially how they make being an assasin seem like a dirt-free, glamorous lifestyle, Mireille has a great home and always has nice new clothes. It was done right with Umetsu's Kite, the ugly and desensitizing world of assasination was explored, characters are depressed, abused and under the radar, not living in gorgeous apartments in the city. I thought Chole was the high point of the series, and she dosent even come in for several episodes. boring. but I must admit kirei no kanjou is one of the nicest closing songs to date.

4. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

Netflix sucks!

Their layout is too confusing. I like my DVDs in alphabetical order. I much prefer numberslate.com they have an alphabetical layout with plently of subcategories, and they are cheaper too.

NOIR was dumb. I hated it. I don't like anime, but this one was especially bad, avoid at all costs.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

One of the reasons I like Noir so much, is that it's clearly an attempt at another style of film within the genre of Anime. Much like Cowboy Bebop is influenced by action films and Jazz music, Noir is influenced by French cinema. Now, you may not like French cinema by any means, but it's so cool to see such a mix of eclectic styles like French cinema and Japanese anime. It's slow moving at times, but that is in line with the original influences.

Like I mentioned, I'm only 4 episodes in (trying to make it last), but I'm just digging it big time so far. And a few other pluses:

Widescreen presentation
    Japanese 5.1 soundtrack

and also, the Japanese voice of Kirika is done by Houko Kawashima, who previously did the rather airheaded voices of Yurika Misamaru in Martian Successor Nadesico, and Filia in Slayers Try!

keep it in your Netflix queue Z, I think you're really gonna dig this one too....

6. K'

K' Guest

I saw the whole series and enjoyed it quite a bit. The drawing, soundtrack and character design is top notch; my only grief is that the action scenes tend to get boring, because they lack variation.
    :fire: :sleepy:

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I have a request. Does anyone own Noir volume 2 (The Hit List)?

I bought a copy this weekend, but it came without an insert. I would like to make a copy of the insert, so if anyone has it and can scan it (max resolution, naturally), I would really appreciate it. Respond here, PM me, or E-mail paff@horrordvds.com