Noisey LD players- I need solutions

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by jscott, Apr 5, 2003.

1. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

My RCA LD player has a very noisey fan. When I play the audio through my TV, the player is as loud, if not louder, than the audio coming through the TV's speakers. I have inquired into getting a replacement fan motor, but the part is no longer availible. Would it be possible to replace the fan motor with, say, a fan motor from a PC? Anyone know how difficult this would be? I'm sure it will require matching the RCA's fan motor to another one with the same voltage specs, but other than that, I don't know how to approach the situation. Any help would be appreciated.

PS
    I keep seing alt.laserdiscgroup etc... listed in LD posts. Is this a website? A newsletter? Please help me.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Here's a suggestion: Buy a new player. For $100-$150 you can get a pretty good player.

alt.video.laserdisc is a newsgroup. You need a newsreader to read the messages (Gravity is a good one for Windows, and it's free now). Or you can read/post through the web using something like Google Groups (see www.deja.com)

3. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

Sounds like a great idea if I want my wife's foot up my ass!
    I already own the above-mentioned RCA, and a Pioneer CLD-504 that has display problems. I think I might contact that fella who BigDaddy posted about that services/sells LD players, and see if he's heard of either of my problems.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm with Dave here.

If you're gonna make Laserdisc a permanent part of your Home Theater, you'll want a decent player. RCAs aren't bad, as they're Pioneer clones, but they're clones of some pretty mid-level Pioneers (500 level).

I think you should look for a good upper level player (Pioneer 700 level). You really will notice a big difference.

5. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, that 504 may or may not be worth fixing. The 504 is a half decent player. It's a good starter player. Search alt.video.laserdisc for Kurtis Bahr - he's a good source for LD repair information.

But again, invest in getting the 504 fixed or buy another player. That RCA needs to be shot and buried.

6. jscott

jscott Guided By Voices

I spoke with Duncan from Laserdiscservice.com, and he said that my RCA player doesn't have a fan. Turns out it's the spindle motor that's making all that noise. If I could find another spindle motor to replace it, I would keep the RCA, because it has a nice picture, and a PCM Optical output (which the 504 lacks, otherwise I would consider getting the Pioneer repaired).

I will be upgrading my LD player sometime later this year (hopefully to a 604 or 704), but in the meantime, money's just too tight. Thanks for the advice fellas.