"Non Ho Sonno" - "Sleepless" SURPRISE

Discussion in 'Euro Horror' started by boyd1955, Oct 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boyd1955

boyd1955 Guest

OK... I know I'd lost all respect for Argento over the last decade... I'd put off watching "Sleepless" because I couldn't take another letdown from a man that I had really respected as a visionary film maker... Well I'm amased and really glad to say that "Sleepless" sees him back on form.

I don't really think he'd made a really good film since "Tenebrae"... "Phenomenon" was daft beyond belief but enjoyable... The first three quarters of "Opera" are wonderful but then it goes right of the rails and goes all Sound of Music. And that heavy metal soundtrack was a right balls up... "Trauma" I have to admit I quite liked on a big screen, but is definately not up to his early form... "Stendahl Syndrome" ( as I've annoyed everyone about quite enough ) I think is his worst film he has ever made. Unwatchable ( In my opinion )... "Phantom of the Opera" was visually good, but the story and acting were shit... Julian Sands could not act to save his life... And Asia is very beautiful and all that but I'm afraid her acting leaves a lot to be desired.

I have to admit that I watched it in Italian with Subs... But "Opera" was also a much better film if watched in that way... Haven't watched the English dub yet... But as I had heard bad things about some of the acting I didn't notice any of that when I watched it... So it could just be bad dubbing as usual.

So for anyone like me who had lost all belief in Argento... Give "Non Ho Sonno" a go... It's stylish... Involving... Colorfull... And the murders are shocking... In other words it works and the man may be back on form... :))))

2. Er . . I agree with bits of that, but not all of it. Opera . . . The Sound Of Music . . . why, because of the scene at the end? - That only lasted a couple of minutes. The rest of the movie was brutal, intelligent & aggressive. The heavy metal music was as much Argento as the black gloved killers from Tenebrae & Profondo Rosso. You say it as if it was something totally incredible. The score to Profondo & Zombie were both 70s progressive rock scores, Argento is a fan of heavy metal & during the 80s this was very much part of his style. I admit it, it does sound a little bit dated, but then nobody goes on about the fashions in Lizard In A Woman's Skin, or Four Flies On Grey Velvet - and they're equally as dated.
    Phenomena (not Phenomenon) had a very fractured narative, but again, this was a very personal work to Dario Argento. And, again - it is dated, but it doesn't make it a bad film. Bizarre narrative & confused plotting makes these films what they are.

It's easy to say something is shit, it's also fashionable. Maybe if Argento would have had everybody's support & backing during the 80s & 90s, instead of (ex) fans & magazines slagging him off - he would have some more enthusiasm to create a movie like NonHoSonno a little bit sooner.

3. boyd1955

boyd1955 Guest

Dear BlazingMagnum
    Heavy metal music was dead by the mid 70s... After that it was there for the sad hippy fucks who could not think for themselves... That was my observation of those times :)) ... "Opera"s soundtrack music was dated and inept when it was made
    Argento totally lost the plot for the last decade or more... I think he stopped taking whatever drugs he was using before then... Whether he started using something different I don't know... But it didn't work for him... Perhaps he's discovered something new recently
    "Phenomenon" was silly... And there's no getting away from it... I don't dislike it... But it's daft as a brush.
    "Sleepless" is a great film... Let's hope he can stay on form

4. Dear Boyd,

Thank's, so much, for your observations on heavy metal.
    Now we know how it is, - I'm sure that anyone who listened to heavy metal in the first place will cease as they read your words, and discard anything to do with the subject. Sorry 'sad hippy fucks' - all that peace-loving has obviously destroyed your taste in music, and movies too, for that matter.

I'm certainly a convert to the ways of non-metal.

Incidentally, and who am I to argue? - Did you know that "Phenomenon" was actually a romantic, comedy drama with John Travolta?

Surely you mean "Phenomena" - the 1985 Argento movie?

5. P.S . Yeh, I agree, NonHoSonno is a top movie, and probably his best since Opera (in my humble opinion).

6. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

'evy metal ain't dead! (well, not by the 80s anyway)

Iron fuckin' Maiden!! :D

Boyd...
    Heavy metal, dead by the mid-70s?? Uh, no. Mid-70s you had Zepellin and Sabbath, I'll give you that, but they were the impetus that spawned the tidal wave of metal acts in the 80s. If you didn't notice metal in the 80s, you must have been smokin' more pot than those hippies you speak so fondly of.

Iron Maiden
    Metallica
    Quiet Riot
    Krokus
    Slayer
    Judas fucking Priest man!
    Scorpions
    Ratt
    Motley Crue
    Queensrych

The list goes on. For those of you who weren't there, or decided not to pay attention to it, you'll either have to take my word for it, or do some research on your own. Personally, I consider "Heavy Metal" an 80s phenomena, and anything before that, hard rock. Zeppelin may have been the first to be touted as heavy metal, but it was not until the 80s that the term became specifically used for an isolated genre of music.

By the way...
    Moving to Euro Horror.

7. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

.....welcome back to the fold!!

8. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

Re: 'evy metal ain't dead! (well, not by the 80s anyway)

.....YEAH HYDE WOOOOO ROCK ON!!! BANG YOUR HEAD!!!!WHAT?????????NO TWISTED SISTER???????????"YOUR GUNNA BURN IN HELL" for not putting them in that list!! haha I.A.J.OC

9. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

WHAT"DYA WANNA DOOO WITH YORE LIFE?!?!?!

Sicky, you uttered the very words I was far too embarassed to utter myself. :D I admit it, I used to listen to TS... um, even saw them live... oh God, did I just say that?? :( LOL

10. boyd1955

boyd1955 Guest

Oh Dear... Oh Dear... Oh Dear :p

11. Heh heh heh

Thanks folks, that was the response I was hoping for. Biyd, it sounds like you're a little outnumbered on the metal argument - and I'm afraid I have to confess to seeing Twisted Sister too!

. . . and Maiden (about 6 times), and Annihilator, and Suicidal Tendencies, and Motorhead, and Slayer, and Pantera, and Kreator, and Overkill, and Deicide, and Metallica, and Megadeth, and AC/DC, and the list goes on & on & on - but do you know what? - I never even spotted one person with flowers in their hair, or wearing flares! - Incredible!

Oh yeh, Slayer this weekend too, I'll be sure to tell all the fans that they went out with the 70s.

later.

12. boyd1955

boyd1955 Guest

Hey BlazingMagnum

It seems that the horror genre has a lot of people with very very bad musical taste involved in it... MMMM... That would explain a lot of the nonsense that goes on in this forum

13. Oh well Boyd, you win some, you lose some.

Let's get back to horor movies & something we agree upon. There's really no point arguing over taste in anything at all - it's all down to the individual. Live & let live I say. There's no reason for aggression over something that really doesn't matter to you anyway.

Take it easy & have a good weekend.

14. betterdan

betterdan Guest

Weren't The Carpenters Heavy Metal? I'd like to see (or hear) some of their music in a gory horror movie ;)

15. I think there was a Carpenters track in the background - during the asylum scene in In The Mouth Of Madness.

*we've only just beguuuuuuuuuuuuun*

16. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

for the record I don't like 80's Heavy Metal (anymore)

17. Neither do most other people.

18. skinnypuppy6

skinnypuppy6 Guest

...I think Hyde does:)

19. keith70

keith70 Guest

I still like Iron Maiden and DLR era Van Halen, but that's about it for the 80's metal. I can't stand 90's metal other than Alice in Chains and Marilyn Manson(Some of it). I used to like Pantera, but I can't get into it now.

20. crank

crank Guest

Boyd, I was wondering since your so anti-metal (as am I), what you do consider good music. When I saw your name I immediatly thought of Boyd Rice (non) but I could be wrong.

crank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.