Noroi the Curse

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Paff, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Anyone seen this Japanese Blair Witch-type film?

I dug the non-traditional narrative that was actually in the style of Stephen King's Carrie (the novel, not either of the films). There would be clips of the "documentary" that was being made, then a newscast, or a Japanese variety show. The variety show clips were perfect if you've ever seen any of those kinds of shows.

Overall it kinda misses its mark and probably runs about 20-30 minutes too long. But again, I like films that break the rules of traditional storytelling, and I can definitely say I'll be re-visiting this title again someday.

2. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I pretty much agree with you on this one...it could have been shortened a bit, but overall was pretty damn effective and entertaining, and something different from the J-horror front. Definitely worth a look.

3. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I'm willing to give films the benefit of the doubt especially if they receive some good praise. The first time I watched Noroi a few months ago I was honestly bored to tears. Last night I wanted to give it another try this time knowing what to expect. I turned out all the lights and turned up the sound. Well I still don't see what hype is about. I'm usually a sucker for these fake documentary type films. I loved Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity and Open Water. I really enjoyed Cloverfield, REC The Poughkeepsie Tapes and I even see allot of good things in films like Lake Mungo and The Last Broadcast, Ghostwatch and Home Movie. In fact I can't think of another fake doc horror films that I didn't enjoy to some extent. So what is it about Noroi that I missing? I just could not buy into these characters at all. For these types of films to work they need to feel as real as possible. There was NO mistaking that these people were acting and not even doing a very good job at that. The main character had the personality of a slug and The Hori character was way over the top and kept taking me further out of the film. I didn't feel any tension or a sense of dread like I usually feel in these types of films. The cgi effect also didn't feel as organic as they needed to be. There were a couple of kinda creepy parts with a few shots of kids in the background and the girl and her moaning also the shots of the 1978 Demon ruital. The last 5 minutes also were pretty creepy. Saying that I didn't feel any tension or suspense that was needed in order for these semi creepy moments to be effective.

I may give it another shot one day but so far it's strike 2.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  4. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

Watched this on recommendation and I agree with Ash on this one; it really felt too drawn out, the and 'payoff' scenes were not really worth the time taken to work up to them. It just had too much of the 'take the entire movie to unlock the secret of the curse/ghost/haunting' route that so many J-Horror movies have taken, it kind of felt stale.

5. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Loved it. Here's the mini-review I posted in last year's "October Horror Viewing" thread.

Noroi, the Curse (2005) - Kobayashi is a documentary filmmaker who is fascinated by the paranormal. Always looking for new cases to document, he and his cameraman begin investigating a series of freakish events that are seemingly unconnected, but will prove to be. Rather than Blair Witch, this one reminded me of The Last Broadcast due to all the different footage involved. There's a sinister atmosphere from the start, but the film manages to be quite funny at times through it's use of stupid variety show footage. Those things are definitely ripe for lampooning. The storyline itself is quite complex, particularly for the handheld subgenre. There are multiple strands and a deep mythology to interpret. It also isn't your typical Asian horror with long-haired ghosts, thank goodness. Instead, we get some legitimate scares through mood and build-up. When we see the flier that says a key character has gone missing, it's enough to give you a chill all on it's own thanks to what we've seen beforehand. There are also a few choice scenes that will stay with you. The two scenes that got the biggest reaction out of me both revolved around Marika, a likable actress who gets caught up in the occurences through an on location TV shoot. The first involves going back to the tapes and catching something in the frame with her, the second has her losing control in Kobayashi's house as pigeons smash into the window. The mystery at the core is intriguing to watch unfold. At 115 minutes, the film didn't feel too long to me. Big compliment, as handheld horror typically works better when it's short and to the point.