Nosferatu 1922 Dvd

Discussion in 'Classic' started by The Joker, Mar 15, 2006.

1. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Hmmm, didn't know about that version. James Bernard is da man.

2. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I've heard some rumours of ultimate edition coming out. Is this BS or has anyone else heard any thing?

I'm asking mostly because I was thinking about taking advantage of the Kino sale at Deep Discount and grabbing the Kino version to go along with my elite. If there is a better edition coming out though I think I'll pass.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  3. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

FYI to all Nosferatu fans. TCM is showing the version with the James Bernard score right now. Based on the first few minutes I have to say I strongly prefer this score to all the others that I've heard (I have numerous different DVD versions of Nosferatu).

I wonder why this score wasn't included with the Kino Ultimate Edition.

4. RidgeShark

RidgeShark New Member

Forgot about this showing last night. I love the James Bernard score too. I wonder if TCM showed the same film transfer that was presented on the BFI DVD that originally showcased the Bernard score or if they used something newer, like the restoration on the Kino Ultimate.

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Robert Osborne said it was a restored print. But the tinting looked different from the Kino Ultimate edition to me. That said, it's been a while since I watched the new Kino version. So I could be wrong.

I DVRd the bulk of last night's showing. I'll compare it to the Kino Ultimate edition and report back. I suspect TCM just showed the BFI DVD.

6. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

If anyone is in the vicinity,you can catch a film print with live organ music at the following venues this week...

The Byrd Theater-Richmond ,VA.
    The AFI Silver Theater- Silver Spring ,Maryland
    The Carolina Theater-Durham,North Carolina

I think the Durham show will feature a full orchestra.

7. Vampyr

Vampyr Guest

The Kino Nosferatu has beautiful colour tints and is the best transfer I've seen. Check out the Gothic Industrial DVD release for some great music!

8. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

Not seen the Kino version but I'm very happy with the BFI release I purchased earlier this year. Soundtrack is awesome, tints are tasteful, and resolution is better than I would have believed possible for a film of this age. I understand the framing/length are optimum also.

Is it just me or does this film rush to a conclusion? Obviously I appreciate movie making was at an infant stage in 1922 - but if only we could see an 'Extended Directors Cut"!! The time between that haunting scene of the girl on the beach looking out to sea, and end credits, is all too short in my very humble opinion.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Someone's spent the time dubbing Nosferatu:
    http://www.novemberfire.com/dvd/pages/nfrdvd001.html

You can see the trailer on the website. Although I was curious it doesn't sound so good to me.