Nosferatu Ultimate edition in Nov.

Discussion in 'Classic' started by shithead, Sep 29, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There will no doubt be a more ultimate edition later. :)

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

3. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

That footage looks absolutely incredible. If there are any scratches at all, I don't see them. I can't wait to pick up this new DVD!

4. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Wow! I'll be picking this up.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Eureka rock, and this is a must own.

Love the score.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  6. dwatts

dwatts New Member

7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Wait... will the new Kino edition have the same transfer as the Eureka DVD?

8. dwatts

dwatts New Member

There seems to be some debate about it, Ryan. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the answer is YES - but the R2 has an additional commentary.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

From what I've heard, they used the same transfer...but the PAL-to-NTSC conversion has some "ghosting" problems on the new Kino release, which aren't present on the Eureka release.

Has anyone got the Eureka version yet? I just ordered it after reading a few stellar reviews...plus it has the commentary and thick booklet included!

Here's some comparisons between the two new releases: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/nosferatu.htm

And in reference to the above, it appears that there is some problem with the MOC screen captures used above in the comparisons (perhaps fixed now however): http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149934#149934

Last edited: Dec 1, 2007
  10. My copy of the Eureka - Masters of Cinema release arrived yesterday. It looks very nice, but as is evident on the dvdbeaver pictures - the Kino version is slightly sharper, and it isn't the result of artificial sharpening. Also, although Kino has been notorious in the past for releasing poorly converted PAL-to-NTSC transfers, Nosferatu doesn't appear to be one of them - DVD Beaver certainly would have mentioned it if that was the case. There is slight ghosting/frame-blending present on both Kino and Eureka editions, but this is present due to a technique used to convert silent film framerates to NTSC or PAL standards. This technique allows motion to appear smooth, whereas a technique like simply doubling certain frames would make the motion appear jittery. Add to this whether or not the blended frames work best as interlaced or progressive video, and things get even more complicated. In this case, both Kino and Eureka have chosen to present Nosferatu in interlaced video - with Kino's being more noticeably interlaced (probably just a matter of using different software to convert the 18fps source).

When it comes to getting silent films transferred to current video standards, everything is a compromise and nothing is perfect. If only HDTV standards included a whole variety of framerates, then this whole mess would be fixed for the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  11. Katatonia

I agree that the Kino captures look sharper. But then again, the MOC has less compression artifacts from the higher bit-rate and the transfer isn't cropped as badly on some of the sides as the Kino.

Also, the 7th-down image comparisons looks to show more shadow detail on the MOC than the Kino. I even tried saving both of those and maxing out the gamma, and the Kino just reeked of compression artifacting and simply didn't have the shadow details there at all. Then again, these are jpegs, but...

So, it looks like both versions have their strengths and weaknesses.

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, how are the extras on the MOC? It's staked, isn't it?

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Hmm, earlier I thought I read that the Kino edition would also include the commentary and booklet, but it doesn't seem to from that DVD Beaver review.

14. Katatonia

I think some were hopeful that either would be included with the Kino release, but they're both exclusive to the Eureka edition.

15. I've seen screenshots of other PAL discs - Transit and MK2 releases - and they are slightly sharper than the MoC disc as well. However, I find it to be such a minor difference that it doesn't really bother me - the MoC is still very sharp and detailed - and anyways, we all have the "definitive" Blu-ray Nosferatu to look forward to. As far as the cropping, MoC is superior to the Kino, but they both manage to crop a little off the top of Count Orlok's head in the famous shot where he raises from a coffin. It seems that for the entire movie, the image was slightly zoomed-in so that either digital-image stabilization could take place, or perhaps the video technician just did not like the rounded edges of the original 35mm print showing up in the transfer.

If you watch the restoration demo, you'll see comparisons between the initial film transfer and the final restoration.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, the initial transfer shows more visual information on all sides.

Good discovery. Makes me feel better in regards to the cost of importing the MoC.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2007
  16. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

So, in a nutshell, the new "Ultimate" edition does NOT suck?

17. You are correct - every edition based on the new restoration is fine and very far away from being listed in the suckage category. This is the best the movie has ever looked on home video.

18. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

Thanks! Sometimes all the technical mumbo jumbo clouds whether it's good or not, at least for a simpleton like me. :D

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I finally picked up the MOC edition of this. I just wanted to add here that the 90 page booklet included is superb. It's bound in book form, and it weel worth the read. What a shame the art of the DVD booklet is now the province of the more expensive DVD makers - still I guess we know how they make those cheap releases so... well cheap.

20. Katatonia

Yeah, the book is quite good... although the intellectual essays are sometimes pretty funny to read. I don't remember which part, but something similar to "Nosferatu was a closet homosexual" was just hilarious. :lol: