Now watching...

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by Dave, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Franco

Franco Weekender

Now watching The Nest from 1988.

[​IMG]

2. JeffCostello

JeffCostello Member

Rhett's review convinced me to check this one out:

[​IMG]

3. JeffCostello

JeffCostello Member

Sorry, my bad. Shouldn't have posted this in the laserdisc thread :eek:

Would be glad if I could post something here but my laserdisc player gave up on me a couple of weeks ago when I wanted to give my dear old Japanese Phenomena disc a spin.

4. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I last ran my LD player in May to watch my Wizard of Speed and Time platter. I might want to lay that off before my own player breaks!

5. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

Black Christmas

6. Paul_s

Paul_s Member

Past couple of weeks viewing;

Art of Noise: Invisible Silence
    Deadly Friend
    Debbie Gibson in concert
    Madonna: The Virgin Tour
    Tina Turner: Break Every Rule & Private Dancer tour
    Top Gun (today's viewing - not watched for an age (got it for free with a LD i bought).

Really enjoying LD - ordered a load more tonight :D

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  7. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I received a couple laserdiscs for my birthday from a friend since he knew I was looking to get a player soon. I ended up getting a cheap model off of Craigslist just to get me going until I found something better and I wowed everyone at my Halloween party with a screening of Life Force on Laserdisc. Half the people at the party had never even heard of the format let alone had seen it before. Cheap player with cheap cables wasn't going to impress anyone but they enjoyed the novelty of it. Personally I'm loving the format after all these years and looking to build up my collection soon.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

what "cheap model" did you get?

9. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

Pioneer CLD-S104

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Yeah, that's an ok "starter" player if you're just beginning with the format. But you'll definitely want to upgrade to a better player at some point, with two-sided play.

My 704 needs a new motor I think.

11. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I know but my options were extremely limited. I literally drove 2.5 hours to get that and 20 discs for $60. I have been in contact with others to get something better because I want surround sound playback.

Side flipping is something I'm kind of shying away from though because it is just one more thing to break. We will see.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow. I was gonna say that the S104 already has surround sound playback, but a quick check of the specs here: http://www.laserdiscarchive.co.uk/laserdisc_archive/pioneer/pioneer_cld-s104/pioneer_cld-s104.htm shows that there is indeed only a single RCA audio output. That was kinda surprising; I thought even the cheapest players of that era would at least have two-channel playback.

All the better players will have 2-sided playback, so I wouldn't shy away from it. I'd seek it out.

13. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

What do I need to know about surround sound with LD players? I feel like it isn't quite as cut and dry like it is with DVD, etc.

More on topic though I just bought Watchers 2 and I already have Phantasm II as well so I'll be watching those soon!

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

No, but all you really want is the analog red/white RCA connections, and capability to read the digital audio tracks. This is almost a no-brainer, as pretty much any decent consumer player made after 1990 will have this (I don't know if the industrial players have it). Basically, if the remote allows you to switch between the digital and analog tracks, you're fine.

Laserdisc did audio in PCM Pro-Logic, so your receiver will decode the signal and give you surround. The only thing you won't have is separate left and right surrounds; you only get one surround track. You can get left/right discrete surrounds once you go Dolby Digital, but that's a whole new can of worms that you won't want to get into at this stage of the game. Dolby 5.1 was encoded on LD, but it was "RF Modulated". This means you need an RF Demodulator to decode the signal further before you put it into your receiver. And Dolby Digital LDs were only released late in the game so it's a small percentage of titles. You can also get DTS, and feed it directly into your receiver via an optical connection, but only a handful of DTS LDs were ever released (although they do sound glorious).

TL/DR, look for the L/R connections and be sure the player says "Digital Sound" somewhere on it. As always, if you want to post a link of any player you're considering and get me Dave's opinions, by all means do it.

15. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

If we should take this to a PM or another thread or whatever I understand, didn't mean to derail the conversation. The RF modulation is what has confused me in this adventure I've been on lately. I've been trying to find a player with optical out hoping that would be all I need but it sounds like that isn't the case. I have a few DD discs, but those wouldn't be the ones I'd keep in my collection anyway. I was really hoping to go 5.1 with this, kind of bummed out now haha. Thanks again for all the help. Just got Murder, Anyone? in today (a mystery "game" disc).

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

We don't need to move the discussion to PM, since there's such little LD talk on the site anyway (although a lot more in the last few days, perfectly fine with me).

The optical out will only take the digital tracks, so you'd use it for the PCM Dolby Surround, or DTS. Paradoxically, DD 5.1 is carried on the ANALOG right channel of laserdisc. You need a player with a dedicated "AC-3 RF out" (although if you're handy with a soldering iron and drill, you can retrofit a lot of players with AC-3 output. I did it on my friend's CLD-D503), and again, the RF demodulator. Just checked E-bay, and someone wants $129 for one. That's a little crazy.

17. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I guess I'll let my collection grow a bit and see what kinds of tracks I have available. I'm guessing carry the DD on the analog track is why it requires the demodulation. I'm finding out so much lately about the format and it fascinates me. The other thing that really blew my mind were Squeeze discs.

18. Dave

Dave Pimp

Still looking to sell my Cliffhanger squeeze.

Total r u back from the dead? Or have you been around? First I have noticed you around in a long time.

19. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

I'm back from the dead. I moved away from the whole message board scene but my recent jump into LD made me want to come back here. I was happy to see it was still around and still see some familiar faces.

Rhett sent a message to me in '09 saying he hadn't seen me post in a few years. It is nice to be missed and even better that my return has also been noticed. Wasn't sure if anyone would remember me or even care, so thank you.