October Contest #1: Slashers

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2007.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

Echo Bridge's PROM NIGHT and Fox/MGM's THE BURNING are helping us horror fans everywhere fill our collections with the classic slashers. Long hard to find, they are now revved up in nice new DVDs and now you all have the chance to win them. This contest is simple...tell us what your favorite slasher is, and why, and you'll automatically be entered in our contest for these fine DVDs:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Here's the prize breakdown:

1st Place: PROM NIGHT and THE BURNING DVDs
    4 Runners up: Either PROM NIGHT or THE BURNING DVDs

The contest will run until Sunday, October 6th, at which point the winners will be randomly drawn.

So look through your collection and tell us...what's your favorite slasher, and why?

Attached Files:

2. Devo1313

Devo1313 New Member

My all time fave would probably be Slumber Party Massacre. I've seen it over 700 times cause it was the first videotape I ever owned way back in the early 80s and got a lot of use out of it. It's got the unusual weapon of a powerdrill,lots of nudity,stupid teens,California living(I live in Ohio which sucks),
    fun creepy Casio soundtrack and goofy dialogue. A true classic!
    Vince Cornelius
    m231@earthlink.net

3. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Halloween, the proto-slasher. I was young yet, and knew nothing about film, when I realized there was a difference between Halloween and others films in the same subgenre. It wasn't until later that I could put it into words. Everything in the film is understated yet explicit. The feel of the wind on a cool Autumn night, the carved pumpkins, the excited chatter of trick-or-treaters. It wasn't until I was able to define these things that I understood atmosphere and how much it adds to a movie. My favorite shot in the film is the long take of Loomis walking along the street after discovering Myer's car. In the background you can see toilet paper blowing in the breeze. Rarely does a scene come along that can perfectly sum up a time, a location, and the feeling of dread after the night's festivities have ended and the revelers are tucked safely in their beds, smiles on their faces, unaware of the danger that lurks in the shadows.

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

My favorite slasher is Maniac. I love the seedy atmosphere courtesy of NYC and Joe Spinell's incredible performance. The chase scene through the subway is certainly a highlight, as well as the iconic scalping of the prostitute in the hotel room. The film also features some of Tom Savini's best special effects work; in my eyes, the effects in Maniac are right up there with Savini's work on The Prowler and The Burning.

Runner-up would probably be Sleepaway Camp. I've been fascinated by this film since I was a young kid, renting it multiple times on VHS from my local mom and pop video store until I bought the DVD. The ending is the most memorable bit for me, but the whole movie has an unshakable atmosphere about it that I really can't explain.

5. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    My favorite slasher would have to be Friday the 13th. I used to work as a camp counselor at a summer camp so I like pretty much any film on the subject, but this film, more than others, exposes how helpless you are when you are just a handful of people in the woods. Any nutjob can wander in and do as they please, as is the case here. What works so well is the serious approach to the film. A realistic "what-if" type film that didn't feel the need to influx the script with fart gags. This is the kind of stuff that goes on during a staff training week, especially the fucking.

Then there's Pamela. Imagine finding all of your friends dead, then thinking someone has arrived to help, only to find that she is bat shit crazy and talking about the most insane nonsense, turning from being understanding and sympathetic to loony and vengeful in a matter of moments. Scary shit to say the least. The moment in the film where Pamela is behind the shower curtain, waiting for Jeannine Taylor, when you can barely see her hand, still gives me chills everytime I see it. It is a true "did I really see that" moment that most people have every so often that never pans out to anything, but not in this case.

Then there is the work of Tom Savini, which was still raw, but damn effective. His gags alone make the film a classic.

6. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I'd have to say the original Halloween. It was among the first slashers I ever saw and really freaked me out when I was a kid and they ran the TV version (when I was much younger my parents were of the opinion that there's no need to waste money on cable or video, finally breaking down and getting a vcr years later).

A close second would be Friday the 13th part 2. This was the first uncut (well, uncut from theater version) movie I saw. They played it on channel 20 which I think used to be CBS. This was right around when part 3 went to theaters and they had a special uncut showing at midnight. Still had commercials, but also had gore and boobies. Sometime during this showing I just feel in love with the genre and wanted more. Then my parents wouldn't take me to see part 3 in the theater, I recall something about me being too into the uncut part 2, or being too hyper during it.:cry:

Until then I had mostly watched old Universal horror and Sci-Fi stuff they'd play on tv. I also remember running home from elementary school to catch Godzilla movies. They have G-weeks all the time that started at 4, while school let out at 3:50 and it was 15-20 minute walk so I'd have to run to not miss anything.:)

7. krugerkid13

krugerkid13 Guest

To narrow down to just one is hard to do when there are so many included in this sub-genre. I would have to go with Tobe Hoopers overlooked Funhouse. Mixing both the monster and the slasher genre together in a very fun and creepy atmosphere makes this a great watch any night of the week. Also providing us ith the always scary carnival setting.

8. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

My Bloody Valentine.
    As to why? I'm not sure, but I've always enjoyed it and the miner's outfit worked for the killer, especially the mask.

9. Xtro_13

Xtro_13 Guest

My favorite slasher is "Friday the 13th" the original. I maybe dating myself, but it was the first "R" rated movie that I saw back in 1980 (and no, I was not 17 year olds). Since then, I've owe every Friday movie on DVD, even the R2 version of the original, and also own the "Crystal Lake Memories" book. Which I've read about three times since getting it early this year.

10. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

My favorite slasher is easily Bill Lustig's Maniac. Frank Zito has no super-natural powers, no big-bulking muscles or over-sized stature, and no signature weapon. Frank Zito is you're normal, every-day depressed and disturbed human being, just like the rest of us. This here makes it the greatest slasher because we have a charcter who is damaged, but so damaged he can not control himself any more. Frank Zito is the purest slasher villain in the history of cinema. This could happen to any one of us under certain circmstances, so Maniac is really about not letting our own demons and downfalls take hold so that we ourselves do not take it out on others like Frank Zito. Maniac is scary, haunting, and the perfect slasher movie.

11. uradouche

uradouche New Member

Has to be The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Still one of the most unsettling films I've ever seen. Haunting imagery, weird character actors and a palpable reality. It was one of the first horror films for me that really felt raw and "real."

12. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Wow, this is a nice contest! :D

My favorite slasher ... I guess I would have to say A Nightmare on Elm Street. It mixes the slasher element with some interesting surrealism and nightmarish aspects and I really enjoy the backstory. It's probably the slasher I revisit most often, and even if it isn't as "pure" as Halloween or Friday the 13th, I still think it's a prime example of the genre.

There are several runners-up, but I'd like to take the time to mention the unutterably fabulous Sleepaway Camp 2, which will surely be remembered as one of the greatest films of all time.

13. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Member

My all time favorite would have to be MADMAN. Forget the acting, and it is just plain creepy with some nice gore thrown in. The Madman Marz boogeyman character still haunts me .I thought the mythology (although not original) was very cool, and the filmmakers did a lot with very little. Probably the best of the camp slashers, in my opinion, with THE BURNING and FRIDAY THE 13TH close behind.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I like Halloween best because unlike most slasher movies it's actually SCARY and doesn't rely on gore to shock. Also the music kicks serious ass.

This is a great contest because I don't own either title yet. :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  15. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

Agreed :)

16. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Agreed. This is why I love the scenes with Caroline Munro; when Spinell is around her, he is rather likable, which ultimately makes him more terrifying.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  17. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I would say it would have to be the original "Halloween" from John Carpenter; which in my opinion is the definitive slasher film, not to mention one of the first.

The atmosphere, music, production design, casting, etc. all blend perfectly to create a venerable horror/slasher classic.

18. onebyone

onebyone Guest

It is really hard for me to narrow it down to my personal favorite slasher film, because I truly do love so many. If I have to choose, I would have to go with Friday the 13th Part 2 because that's the first movie we get Jason, the man the myth the legend, in action. What can I say, I'm a Jason girl.

[​IMG]

19. Numania

Numania Guest

A Nightmare on Elm St. is my favorite slasher. I agree with _Pi_ in that it has an extra dimension of slasher radness. It has great gore, a creepy score, a great atmosphere, and the terror is unescapable. If other slashers made you scared to go in the woods, this one would make you scared to go to sleep.
    I totally want to watch this one tonight.

20. philxus

philxus New Member

Original Halloween:evil: