October Contest #1: Slashers

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2007.

1. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Halloween, without a doubt. Although slow in parts, it encompasses the holiday and the genre so well that it doesn't even matter. The music, Loomis, Myers, the ending... it's overwhelms you with dopeness. DOPENESS.

2. geeare

geeare Guest

My fav. slasher is Maniac. I first saw this movie when I was quite young and it scared me soo bad that i didn't sleep for months, probably more like years. Watching it later in life i realized that this movie really is scary. The score and visuals are perfect and the performance by Zito is awesomely creepy. that is all.

3. daily_hum

daily_hum Guest

Halloween

Silent but deadly.

4. delirium

delirium Guest

My favorite slaher movie would be Friday the 13th, Part 7. I really just love this movie and think this is Jason in his "ultimate" form. I love all the other fridays, but this one has always struck a sweet spot for me. The way Jason looks, the story, all the killings, and the acting (even though is laughable at parts) just make it perfect for me. Every incarnation of Jason in this form, I own, whether it be toy, magazine, etc. This movie just does it for me.

5. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

As most on here have said, Halloween. Love the atmosphere and Halloween feel, something a lot of movies these days are lacking. I also think it's impressive that it has next to no blood, but is still bad ass in every way. Also, you can't forget it has one of the most memorable and creepy scores, and great acting from all.

An honorable mention goes to a film that gets a lot of hate around here, Friday the 13th: Jason Lives. Me and my friends used to rent this movie every weekend. It's not scary or really as serious as the other movies. It's all about having a good time, and killing a whole lot of people along the way. I'm a big fan of zombie Jason, as once he became undead, the kills became a lot more creative, and just crazy. This film is just one big long rush that doesn't let up until the end.

6. BrianR1982

BrianR1982 New Member

I'm going to go with Friday the 13th. This film is responsible for me becoming a horror maniac. It was the first "real" horror film I ever saw. Great atmosphere, throat slashing, axe to the head, etc. Totally bitchin'.

7. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

They need to get it out uncut DAMNIT!

8. Johnny Macabre

Johnny Macabre New Member

Mine would have to be Friday The 13th Part 2. This is the movie that introduced me to the formula of the slasher movies when I was a kid. I had watch a lot of them prior F13th2, but it's with this sequel that i started to see and appreciate the horror movie formula (as a kid).:eek1:

9. xdiggler

xdiggler Member

This is a tough one!
    So many to choose from but I think that my favority is A NIghtmare on Elm Street. The first one! So much imagination behind that one. A lot of scary images and it took the slasher into the supernatural realm as well.

10. rhett

rhett Administrator

This contest is going great, thanks everyone! Not only are we getting the solid posts I'd expect from the usual members, but there's a lot of lurkers coming out of the woodwork to express their favorites too. Keep 'em coming!

11. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

Halloween, all the way.

12. I'll have to say A Nightmare on Elm Street 3. I watched that so much as a kid I scarred my older sister--she still won't watch horror movies (and she's pushing thirty by now). Even after all these years, it's still my favorite film of the series, and Freddy is still my favorite horror villain. Honorable mention goes to Friday the 13th 2, because it was the first horror movie I remember ever seeing and I was so scared I literally peed myself. (screw you, I was five when my rotten sisters somehow managed to get my mom to rent it.)

13. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

I think ANOES 3 is my earliest introduction to the slasher genre. I remember seeing this on tv at an early age and I wouldn't sleep in my room for days. I had to sleep with my parents.

14. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Friday The 13th Part 2 for me as well. I watched part 2 before ever watching part 1 mainly because part 1 was rented out at my local video store at the time and my Dad got tired of waiting for me to decide what I wanted to rent and said "just get that one already, it looks scary." I also had seen Halloween before so I knew what kind of horror movie to expect. At least I thought. The killings were more bloodier, gorier and more brutal than Halloween. The killer was bigger and more menacing than Michael. The chicks were hotter. I loved it. Thats Dad!

15. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Mine would have to be Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. I had a dubbed tape of that movie on VHS when I was a kid and I watched it over and over again. I always loved the "special powers" of all the kids when they came together, not to mention that this was the start of Freddy's one-liners which I thought were great as a kid. When I saw the movie again when I was much older, I immediately said "whoa Laurence Fishburne is in this?".

Great movie and most likely my favorite of all the Nightmare films.

16. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

My favorite slasher is Sleepaway Camp 2: Unhappy Campers - mainly because it's friggin hilarious. From the campy casting of Pamela Springsteen (the Boss' sister) as the creepily-cheery killer camp counselor, to the great death scenes such as death by outhouse, to the funny poster (with a gal carrying a sack filled with things like Jason's hockey mask and Freddy's glove) and the hilarious subtitle ("Unhappy Campers") - Sleepaway Camp 2 is a great and entertaining bit of 80's straight-to-video sleaze.

17. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I would have to go with the best Canadian Horror film ever made! Black Christmas. There are a bunch characters in this film and they are all interesting. The acting is way above par for a slasher especially Olivia Hussey. The scene when she screams towards the end of the film trying to get Phyll and Barb's attention from downstairs, always gives me goose bumps. Throw in a mysteriously deranged psychotic killer, some seriously creepy phone calls and masterfully done ambiguous ending. This ones a true classic.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  18. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

Mine would be Halloween. It is my favorite for more than just the obvious "its a great movie." I remember seeing it for the first time a five year old on TV 38 in Boston. It had all of the extra scenes and did not edit out the quick nipple shot of Michaels sister. Years later I was trying to secure a VHS copy but couldn't get one. My sister was able to track down a copy and gave it to me for xmas, best gift she has ever given me.

19. mkayers

mkayers Member

Has to be Halloween for me. I was only about 11 when I went to the theater & it haunted me for weeks afterward.

20. reddye5

reddye5 Member

Mine would have to be the original Nightmare on Elm Street. Craven was at his best at this point combining some of the raw energy of Last House on the Left with a scary, more polished story. Freddy was scary as hell. No one-liners in this one. He was played straight and to great effect. The sound of his glove across metal in the boiler room sent shivers down my adolescent spine. As a killer, he is both a supernatural villain, at the same time as being strangley real. We all dream and there is the possibility of running into own own personal Freddy somewhere down the line. The idea that some demon like that could kill us in our sleep. Pretty imaginative stuff, and very different in terms of the general slasher storyline. Smart and freaky still after all these years NOES is my fave. I watch it at least twice a year. And in my house, there's definately "No running in the halls."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007