October Contest #1: Slashers

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 1, 2007.

1. marcx

marcx New Member

The original Friday the 13th for me:

It has the mood, the gore, the music--it's just a complete package. And that jumpscare ending is one of the best of all time....

2. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

PROM NIGHT and THE BURNING, because hoping it's the secret answer to the DVD contest. :banana:

Seriously though, Passion of the Christ

Ok, no really, what's that movie you directed Rhett? It was a slasher wasn't it? 'Cause if it is, it's totally my favorite, ol' buddy, ol' pal :D

Alright, alright, really serious this time...fuck, I don't know...Jason 2? :p

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

As uneventful of a pick it is, Halloween for sure. It definitely created the blueprint for the genre, and shows you can make a slasher terrifying without the over-the-top gore which has become a focus of the genre since (of course, that's good times as well ;)). And of course the incredibly effective soundtrack makes this one of the few "complete packages" in the genre.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  4. Wow this is hard since the slasher sub-genre is my favorite. I'm going to go with A Nightmare on Elm Street. It was the first slasher I saw that made me truly fall in love with the genre (and scare me shitless since I was only 9 or 10). I've also always loved the way it blended the slasher with surrealism, the movie just felt like a nightmare captured on film to me.

Runners up include Halloween(original), Black Christmas(original), Maniac, Friday the 13th, A Nightmare on Elm Street 2(yes I like the sequel, despite the gay undertones they managed to make Freddy seem more menacing and dark in this one), A Nightmare on Elm Street 3, The Funhouse, The Prowler and Sleepaway Camp.

P.S. I still haven't seen The Burning and I don't own Prom Night yet, so if you want to pick me that would be great. :D

5. cgm13

cgm13 Guest

My favorite slasher film would be the original 1974 version of "Black Christmas." I never get tired of watching it 'cause everything about it is perfect. The script, the cast, the directing. And it has one of (if not) the scariest killer in any film. I love that you never find out the killer's backstory (something that would be unheard of in today's horror movies). And that ending rocks. "Black Christmas" rocks!!!

6. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

I actually just watched the Burning the other night for the first time, and I really enjoyed it it's the ultimate in revenge. But would have to say my all time Favorite slasher is Nightmare on Elmstreet , I remember seeing this as a kid and not wanting to go down in the basement or any dark place for a long time Freddy's voice was etched in my mind for the longest time. I would say this has sparked my interest in the genre more than anything else

7. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

As much as I love Halloween to bits, my favorite has to be Prom Night. "Let's show 'em what we can do" should be up there with "Nobody puts Baby in a corner", when it come to movie qoutes. :p

8. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors. I used to love watching this as a kid, I just loved the ideas behind it.

9. gsmile66

gsmile66 Guest

For me, it's gotta be "Friday the 13th". Sure, there are better made slashers out there, but really for me this is the one that really started the "cookie-cutter slasher" syndrome . Gotta love that useless Strip Monopoly game!

10. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    My favorite slasher is FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2. Having seen and loved the first film on Showtime in 1981, I was revved up for PART 2...but I wouldn't see it on the big screen until autumn of '81 - many months after it's original release. Incidentally, it was on a double bill with the first film just a week before Thanksgiving. What I remember most (even at 11 years old) was how much more glossier the film was, better acted, paced, ect. What really blew me away was the final show-down between killer and heroine. Ginny made all the right moves but in a believable way (lacking in horror movie females then and even today where actresses suddenly turn kung-fu saavy). I have never been on the edge of my seat as I was that afternoon watching her dodge Jason in the damp forest of Crystal Lake. From that point on, I would continue to enjoy the Friday the 13th films, but none ever matched PART 2's appeal and none of the series' heroines would ever be so cool.

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

So my Thanksgiving is over now, and I'm back in town to announce the winners.

THE GRAND PRIZE GOES TO...

allmessedup

THE RUNNERS UP...

17thjuggalo
    stl7dust
    marcx
    WhatTHEhell19

Winners, please send me a PM with your shipping details and I'll have your prizes sent out immediately. Runners up, please tell me your preference between THE BURNING and PROM NIGHT so I can try to get you the one you want.

I love the slashers myself, and I have to say this has been my favorite poll yet. Thanks to all for participating. If you didn't win, don't worry...look in a few hours for a new poll!

12. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Damn, that's a good start for two newbies. Sorry regs. :D

Well done Allmessedup, 17th, and Mac too! ;)

13. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I'm a moron.

14. Luna

Luna Guest

Woohoo, congrats guys! :banana:

15. Wow I'm kind of shocked I won. I come home from class to find that I can expect either The Burning or Prom Night in the mail soon. Congrats to the other winners. This calls for a celebration :banana: :banana:

16. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Congrats ya'll.

17. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Congrats everyone! :banana:

18. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Congrats to the winners!

19. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Damn, I can't remember the last time I won ANYTHING!

Hopefully my PM went through, Firefox and its add-ons can be a bit touchy at times. None the less, this is awesome. :banana:

20. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Congrats guys!