October Contest #2: The Undead

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 9, 2007.

1. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Got to be Fulci's Zombi 2 for me. It has the gore, the wonderful climatic scenes, and a score to die for. Dawn of the Dead is good, but it's just not the complete package for me (for instance, the score is forgettable). Zombi 2 is just perfect- bad dubbing and all.

2. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm just gonna go on a limb here and say 28 Days Later. I think that film is just terrific in every single way. It looks AMAZING. It sounds AMAZING. It has Cillian Murphy in it, who is AMAZING.

I also love Dawn, but 28 Days is more lovely.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to have to pick Fulci's Zombi 2. Good god was that movie entertaining. Throat rips, eye pokes, zombies attacking sharks!!!! Are you serious? The movie moves at a nice pace(Dawn of the Dead seems to slow down a bit in the middle) and the blood is free flowing. Hell, it even has a catchy poster line: "WE ARE GOING TO EAT YOU." Love it.

4. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

My choice: Night of the Living Dead

Have to give a guilty pleasure shout out to My Boyfriend's Back though. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS. Before DVD, before LD...hell, before we got a VCR there was late night TV. Sometime late Saturday night in 1980, I sat curled up on the couch ready for some chills. I got them as soon as the green title flashed on the screen. The film just had the right mood. Sure the middle half is talky...and I actually dozed off for a while until the dead started to raise hell for the doomed characters. Although NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD was the more famous film, CHILDREN featured the first sequence I ever saw in movies of the dead rising out of their graves. The sequence has rarely been matched. The crazed score adds to the madness.

6. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

The Beyond. Awesome, awesome film.

7. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Dawn of the Dead (1978). This is the pivotal film that got me hooked on horror movies. When I first saw this when I was in Grade 5, after renting it from the local library, I was blown away. I had seen Night of the Living Dead probably only a couple of weeks prior, and that was the first horror movie that I actually sat through and was scared shitless, but I couldn't keep my eyes off the TV screen. And I finally didn't pussy out and cover my eyes or turn the tape off. And then I found a copy of Dawn of the Dead at the library, after hearing about it through - damn, I can't even remember where... And it was a life-changing experience. How could one movie have gore, scares, humour, action, and social commentary all in one place? Well, it did, and I rented it pretty much every weekend after that initial viewing. I was permanently addicted to the horror genre. And I've been getting my hands on every horror movie I could find since then fateful day, and I haven't looked back since. I love you DOTD!

8. I'm going to have to say Day of the Dead is my favorite zombie film. I love everything about this movie. The gore, the characters (especially Bub), and the bleak but somehow entertaining tone of the film.The funny thing is the first time I watched this movie I hated it. But then I gave it another chance and I ended up loving it on the 2nd try. This is truly an underrated film.

Runners up are Dawn of the dead (the original), Return of the Living Dead, and Re-animator

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is the touchstone film of the genre,but I'd like to throw a bone to SHOCK WAVES.In some ways,this low budgeter predates ZOMBIE with it's tropical island setting.The kicker is that these undead monsters are Nazi's,and they can THINK.These living dead stormtroopers can strike on land and underwater,and their scarred faces,fair hair and goggled eyes give them a different feel than your average run of the graveyard zombie.Horror icons Peter Cushing and John Carradine are on hand to provide mood,and a young Brooke Adams is also on board to model a yellow bikini and run for her life.A creepy,well directed little flick that's great for late night viewing.

10. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

The original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD...also my favorite horror film period. When I was a kid I read a Stephen King book where he talked about it. I started having nightmares about NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD before I even saw it. When I was 12 I finally was able to see it, thinking that if I watched it I might quit having bad dreams about it. It didn't work.

I love DAWN and have come to appreciate DAY over the years. And I love all the various movies influenced by Romero. But for me, NIGHT is still the best. A lot of the other films have lost some of their power to scare through the years due to me seeing them so many times, but with NIGHT that hasn't ever happened.

11. adric

adric New Member

Before King Kong(sorta), before The Lord of the Rings(sorta), there was Braindead, it is just beyond awesome on so many levels especially with the kungfu priest/priest zombie, the best. Then the runner up is Dellamorte Dellamore.

12. Noto

Noto Guest

You ready for this?

Idle Hands

There has been a great many of horror parodies, but very few that were successful. Idle Hands is damn near perfect. It's overwrought with silliness that borrows liberally from Evil Dead II, but also from An American Werewolf in London. The "Undead" aspect comes from the leads buddies that return to life and spend most of their post-mortum experience playing video games, getting high and trying to get laid. And really, why should their death prevent the slackers from pursuing anything that wasn't their normal scope of interest.

13. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I'll say Dawn of the Dead, though Night comes awful close.

14. Gore Lunatic

Gore Lunatic Violenza Carnale

Night Of The Living Dead (1968). Followed very closely by Zombie and Dawn Of The Dead (1978). I watch NOTLD atleast three times a year. Heck, I even enjoy watching the colorized version.

15. Nightbreed

Nightbreed New Member

Dawn of the Dead (78) would have to be my favorite zombie flick, with Dead Alive right behind since I can watch that movie over and over, the Zombie that always sticks out in my mind, is the Tamborine zombie from DOTD, I hated that thing.

16. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Day of the Dead would be my choice(tough choice) I really love this film. there are a lot of key elements that put this movie high on my zombie list. Gore (one of Savini's greatest achievements), action, terror, and just a smidgen of humor. The whole underground bunker idea is just cool. No matter how many times I see it, but the part when the zombie make their way into the bunker, is the ultimate Oh No! , This is gonna end badly moment. A great moment is when the zombie trips off the elevator right before it hits the ground floor.

17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I have to go with the epic original Dawn of the Dead. As much as I love Night of the Living Dead, I was more affected by Dawn. I remember the first time watching it, I had just quit smoking. My nerves were a little shot and I was actually experiencing panic attacks brought on by the shock to my system because I quit cold-turkey.

I remember sitting there excited, knowing there was going to be zombies at some point. However I find that Romero really teases you with this because for the first little bit you don't get to see those lovable "ghouls". I even got distracted by the police raid scene which almost made me forget that this film was about zombies. Next thing I know doors are breaking down and there's that sudden, brief shot of the blue-skinned "dead" man squirming around on the kitchen floor. His hand looked mashed and he had a real urgency and horror plastered on his face. The whole thing just looked totally surreal. This caught me completely off guard and I remember sneaking my hand up to my neck to check my pulse - I was afraid I might pass out to be perfectly honest. I didn't expect to be affected on such a cerebral level, but I totally was. For that moment any ways. Yeah, I know I'm a wuss, but I blame the cigarettes or lack there of.

Once I settled into the film, I took in one of the most epic adventures I had ever experienced in watching a movie, a horror movie for that matter. Little did I realize that this "Zombie Flick" would actually go above and beyond in the ways that it did. It swayed from moments of brutal gore to light-heartedness (which I found allowed me to become desensitized to the amount of killing and violence that was going on. I like when a movie is effective enough that can change my perspective and push my comfort level). There were great characters, great quotes and a nice, welcomed commentary on how society had paralleled the mindlessness of the zombies. By the end of it, I was ashamed I had waited so long to check it out.

So there's my dark little secret about watching Dawn for the first time. It seems silly now when I watch it. It's comic-book action and pink blood make it hard for me to believe that it really got to me the way it did. However the film is got so many merits, that it keeps me coming back time and time again. You really couldn't ask for more with this one now could you?

18. uradouche

uradouche New Member

OHMYGAWD - Dawn of the Dead (the original, although the remake was pretty great)
    My favorite movie of all time. 2nd is the Breakfast Club

19. ZoSo

ZoSo The Fucking King

For me it's a tie between Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" and "Burial Ground." "Dawn" is the epitome of all around awesomeness, and "Burial" takes the cake for cheese....

20. Jaffe

Jaffe New Member

Lucio Fulci's Zombie