October Contest #3: Creature Features

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 15, 2007.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

We'll be reviewing Creature Features all week at HORRORDVDS.COM, so we may as well be giving away copies for our contests, too! Everybody loves at least one of those movies where animals or insects strike back, whether it's mainstream like JAWS or off the beaten path like SLUGS. There's a horror movie for every animal, and all you have to do to win a prize is tell us which Creature Feature is your favorite.

We've got tons to give away, so here's the breakdown of what you could win:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3 Winners: CUJO and ALLIGATOR on DVD

The contest will run a week until Sunday, October 21st, at which point the winners will be randomly drawn.

That's three possible gift packs, so post now and tell us your favorite Creature Feature!

Attached Files:

2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

Slugs rules. I used to kid Felsher about putting out a Slugs tin. I wish. :( I'd probably have to go with Phenomena because it's awesome and has Iron Maiden.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I'd have to say Night of the Creeps if that counts.

4. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

So many to choose from as this is my favorite genre of horror film. I'm going to go with Joe Dante's Piranha. It's a suspenseful horror movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, and yet has a lot to say about a lot of things.Some consider this movie a semi rip off of Jaws, but I don't care. It stands on it's own and manages to tap into our deepest darkest fears just like Jaws. The first time I saw it I couldn't get that damned piranha sound effect out of my head for weeks. For a close second and third I would have to say Humanoids From The Deep, and Alligator. You can pretty much say the same things about these two, but ultimately with me Piranha wins out.

5. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

I will have to go with a true classic here--Alfred Hitchock's THE BIRDS. The movie is still mysterious and has some of my favorite sequences in all of Hitchcock's canon. Besides, if those fuckers ever got together and decided they'd had enough we'd probably be birdfeed.

I also really like Monkey Shines, The Company of Wolves (sorta counts), and of course...Jaws.

6. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

The Killer Shews! Seeing collies dressed up like giant shrews (somewhat...lol) and attacking people is hilarious.

7. addicted2dvd

addicted2dvd New Member

One of my favorites would have to be Man's Best Friend...

Bloodcurdling action and spine-chilling thrills put the bite into this howling sci-fi shocker starring Ally Sheedy ('High Art', The 'Breakfast Club') and Lance Henriksen ('Scream 3', 'Aliens'). When an ambitious news journalist (Sheedy) breaks into a genetic research facility, she uncovers the biggest story of her career and unleashes the lab's most dangerous experiment: Max - a genetically enhanced guard dog with a vicious killer instinct. Superior sight, hearing, strength, and intelligence make him faster, stronger, and smarter than almost any other animal alive - and deadlier. Without the neuropathic drugs needed to curb his aggressive nature, his predatory urge runs out of control... and once he tastes blood, nothing can stop him.

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I gotta go with Kingdom of the Spiders. It's tons of fun, has tons of eight-legged freaks, and has the Shatner. It's thrills-spills-chills abound! Classic drive-in fare, as that is definately the screen that the creature-feature is meant to be seen on. As you're supposed to be away from home, trapped in your car, and at any moment a animal or insect mutant can attack you!

9. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Jaws, because it permanently changed how I see the ocean. Seriously, you can still forget about me going for a swim far out in the ocean. Not going to happen. I just know as soon as I got out there, the music would start and I was be Jaws bait. Screw that. It is really one of a handful of movies to scare me so much that it changed my actual life.

10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

DAY OF THE ANIMALS! Woo-hoo! :D

11. Slow

Slow Guest

wow tough call here. I'm going with MorallySound and saying Kingdom of the Spiders. I remember watching that movie as a kid with my father and loving it and buying the DVD years later and enjoying it just as much as I ever did. That final shot always gave me chills.

12. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

I'll go with Slither. It was a great mix of horror and comedy and reminiscent of another creature favorite of mine, Night of the Creeps. Gore, killer parasitic worms... works for me.

13. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Birds, no contest. It's an absolute masterpiece from the master of suspense. I adore everything about the movie. Tippi Hedren's performance is remarkable and the set pieces are fabulous, particularly the jungle gym sequence and the attack at the end.

14. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    GIANT SPIDER INVASION - One major spider, hundreds of little ones, an Elvis-inspired leisure suit-clad Barbara Hale...one of the funnest 90 minutes or so ever spent on a movie.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

If Night of the Creeps counts (they are slugs, albiet alien slugs) that wins hands down. If we're just talking normal nature run amok, then Alligator is probably my favorite. The genre is full of masterpieces either way.

BTW Rhett, in fairness to all other posters, and since I own both of these discs anyway (I'm not that good of a guy:D ), please don't enter me into this contest, or re-randomize someone else if I happen to hit again. Seeing how I just placed in the last one and all. I know it's unlikely but I'm on a motherfuckin' role!:banana:

16. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Long Weekend. Before the days of DVD, this was one of my most surprising discoveries, and to this day it remains one of my favorite films. It's slow build-up of dread through use of unnerving noises and bizarre occurrences really gets under one's skin. The hints at something supernatural add further unease. There are no cheesy animal attacks here. The few attacks that we do get are raw and believable, particularly that of the eagle. There aren't many films as creepy as this one, and the fact that it takes place in such gorgeous locales while retaining such an eerie mood... well, it really speaks of the film's power. Throw in the film's potent ecological message, a perfect score and a delicious sense of irony, and you have one of the unsung masterpieces of the genre.

Runners-up are Phase IV (release it on DVD, dammit!) and Cujo.

17. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I really love this style of horror film, regardless of the budget. My favorite would have to be DAY OF THE ANIMALS, more than anything for its sheer outrageousness. Every member of the animal kingdom is out for blood! Leslie Nielsen and his wrestling skills deserve an honorary award for this movie.

So many other runner rup favorites for me including: SSSSSSS, Grizzly, Kingdom of the Spiders, Devil Dog: Hound of Hell, Night of the Lepus, The Swarm, Alligator, and of course Jaws.

19. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I'm insanely in love with Arachnophobia. I just think that film is so much fun!

And Congo. If that film counts as a creature feature (with its crazy "gray gorillas" etc.), then that film is for sure my favorite! :D

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Space Ostrich/Eagle/Emu's. Definately. You'll find one in The Giant Claw. ARGH!