October Contest #4: Haunted Houses

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2007.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

No matter how brutal the killer, or how vicious the animal, sometimes it's all about where they are committing the crime. Whether it's the Overlook Hotel or Hell House, haunted houses have had their share of impact on the genre. We've got tons of haunted house DVDs to give away, so tell us your favorite and win a prize. This is our biggest and last contest of our October Madness month, so don't miss out on winning some serious prizes!

Here's what you could win:

1st Prize: POLTERGEIST, DEMONS, DEMONS 2, RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL, THE BELIEVERS and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 on DVD

2nd Prize: POLTERGEIST, RETURN TO HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL and NIGHT OF THE DEMONS 2 on DVD

3rd Prize: DEMONS, DEMONS 2 on DVD

4th Prize: THE BELIEVERS on DVD

Winners will be chosen on Sunday, October 28th.

So, without further ado, what's your favorite haunted house movie?

Attached Files:

2. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Wow, what prizes!

For me, The Changeling (1980) defines Haunted House Film. It's all atmosphere and performances, and the dignity that George C. Scott brings to the story is what sells it. The horse-riding scene? Wow.

From the opening to the ending, The Changeling is a quiet, eerie masterpiece of haunted house horror. The red ball bouncing down those steps is an image that very few viewers forget. So simple a device, it's almost laughable how well it works. It's a ball bouncing down steps! How can that scare me? It's a testament to everything working so well in the film.

3. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I know I'll probably get shit for this, but the House on Haunted Hill remake has to be my favorite.

Is it the best overall film? Probably not.
    Best anything? Probably not.

What it is is one of the funnest flicks I've ever seen. I never thought I would be to stand Chris Kittan, but he fucking owns his role as comic relief/soothsayer so much.
    Geoffery Rush slumming? He was perfect as well. Can't say that for all the cast, but enough were and the worst got offed before stinking up the screen too much.

It's my favorite HH as it's the on I go back to over and over when in the mood for something somewhat scary and very fun. Still my favorite Dark Castle film, and definitly my favorite haunted house.

Thanks for the great contests this month Rhett. It's been fun reading everyone's favorites.
    Come on random generator, daddy needs a new House dvd.:D

4. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'll go with Hell Night.

5. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Poltergeist for me. That movie scarred me for life when I was a kid...hmm, maybe I should let my kids finally see it! :D

6. onebyone

onebyone Guest

This is hard for me. I love old school haunted house stories, preferably in black and white. I could go with The Haunting or Rebecca (it's haunted in its own way), but I am going to pick The Uninvited (1944). It's so classy and well done, with great memorable characters, superb writing, incredible cinematography, and a nice sense of humor about it to boot. It's the total package.

I sure wish it was on DVD, it's ridiculous it is not.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2007
  7. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

The Shining. I love Jack Nicholson's crazed performance and Shelley Duvall is quite underrated as his terrified wife. I've always been fascinated by the look of the movie -- it's very bright, almost sterile, which makes me feel uneasy.

I also love Poltergeist, the original The Haunting, and Burnt Offerings.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2007
  8. boycrieswolf

boycrieswolf Guest

I have to go with Poltergeist as well...although a close runner up would be The Legend Of Hell House.

9. Slow

Slow Guest

SO many haunted house movies to choose from. Hmmm, I'd probably have to go with the original House on Haunted Hill. William Castle movies are always terrific but Vincent Price made this one especially memorable.

10. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Easily The Haunting for me. It scares the crap out of me. Positively frightening stuff. Lots of other good ones about - but The Haunting trumps them all for power.

11. legz

legz Member

The Entity for me. Closely followed by House,The Amityville Horror and Poltergeist movies.

12. Ash J. Williams

Ash J. Williams New Member

The film that told me what I was going to be when I grew up.

The film that I watched when I was 5 years old, on the carpet in my parents' room in broad daylight, that spoke to me in ways that I had never experienced before, that I've watched... so many times, I've lost count.

The film that was so horrific its very legacy is said to be cursed.

I speak, of course, of Poltergeist; the best film Steven Spielberg has ever directed, and the film that the quintessential hack, Tobe Hooper, wishes he could have his name on - legitimately.

There can be no other.

13. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Poltergeist for me. I adore that film.

I also really love The Innocents, The Shining, The Haunting (original AND remake, yeah just shoot me). There's loads more ... But Poltergeist takes the cake and greedily eats it.

14. delirium

delirium Guest

My favorite hanted house would be not so much of a house, but an institution. Mine is from Session 9. What a creepy place to be and have to stay.

If I have to stick by the rules of a house, I'd go with Poltergeist. Any house that ends up eating itsself, has a creepy tree outside, and has clowns that scare me for the rest of my life...then i'd have to say it's a good one.

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

My favorite haunted house movie is THE HAUNTING (1963). Still so perfectly effective without having to shove any ghosts in the viewer's face. The four main characters are real three dimensional people and specifically Julie Harris has got to be one of the most sympathetic figures ever portrayed in a horror film.

Also really love The Shining (1980) and The Legend of Hell House.

16. eiker_ir

eiker_ir New Member

a 1991 made for TV movie called The Haunted, one of the creepiest movies i've ever seen

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I will half to go with The Innocents . Its one the better haunted house films out there.

18. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

Poltergeist scared the bejeezus out of me as a kid. That damn clown, that frakkin' old tree, the pool.....I couldn't sleep for a week after watching that movie. Still freaks me out to this day, but at least I can sleep now after watching it.

19. gyhorrorfan07

gyhorrorfan07 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... There are some very good haunted house films that I've seen. But if I had to choose, without a doubt, it's Poltergeist for me. It's a classic and timeless haunted house flick that never gets old after watching numerous times. It's a well directed and creepy film. The characters were very likable, especially Heather O' Rourke (RIP) as Carol Anne; she was such an adorable little girl. It's a shame that Warner didn't try very hard to put out a better and more definitive SE of this great film.

20. LivingDeadMafia

LivingDeadMafia New Member

the changeling, with the haunting and poltergeist a hair behind