October Contest #4: Haunted Houses

Discussion in 'Site News' started by rhett, Oct 22, 2007.

1. jefff

jefff Guest

House On Haunted Hill (1958) hands down. It's been one of my favorites since I was 6 or 7 years old, and my love for it has never faded. William Castle and Vincent Price at their absolute best.

2. Johnny Macabre

Johnny Macabre New Member

The Innocents for me!! The movie is scary in such a subtle way and love that!! Haunting in more than one way!!

3. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

I'm not a HUGE fan of haunted house films, to be honest, but heads above the rest is definitely The Innocents from 1961. It's a great film based on a great novel, and it's creepy as hell, as well as makes you think.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Poltergeist (1982). Simply one of the best haunted house movies ever made.

5. moogong

moogong Arte Suave

Poltergeist. I first saw it when some slutty babysitter my parents put in charge of me stuck it in the VCR before she disappeared in our house with her boyfriend. I would have cramps in my legs every morning for months aftewards due to sleeping with my knees to my chin. No way in hell I as going to take a chance that crazy clown dragging me under the bed.

6. Shock Waves

Shock Waves New Member

Well said moogong! Crazy creepy clown stuff, that! :nervous:

7. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I was going to say The Changeling but Reverenddave made me remember Ghostwatch, so I'm going with that. I never saw the original broadcast and just saw it for the first time very recently (like 2 or 3 months ago), it still managed to scare me quite a bit.

8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

The original House on Haunted Hill.

9. The Shining was my favorite haunted house flick. A close second would be the original House on Haunted Hill

10. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Member

I have to go with Poltergeist.

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

A really tough call here, but my choice would be The Shining (1980). It just such a great job of capturing that desolate, snowed in hopeless feeling...and those classic images Shelly Duvall sees as she runs around near the ending...especially the guy with the bear suit thing...are some of the creepiest things I have ever seen.

12. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Ill go with Night of the Demons- I love that movie and its technically about a haunted house

13. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

The Changeling is one of the few "Haunted House" horror films that I can truly say has terrified me. After seeing it for the first time in the late-80's it hasn't lost any of its impact. I always have a great time watching the flick.

The Shining, Poltergeist and The Legend of Hell House are all next on my list!

14. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

"Poltergeist" definately!!!...
    followed closely behind by the fun japanese horrorfest "Sweet Home" :)

15. jefff

jefff Guest

Manbearpig!

16. Mazurka Macabre

Mazurka Macabre New Member

The Uninvited if we're talking strict definitions of the haunted house. In my other favorite haunted house flicks... the houses aren't haunted by anything other than killers.

17. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE is an underrated gem.Directed by John Hough,this atmospheric little number is a creepy classic.Roddy Macdowell (at his best),Clive Revell(who voiced The Emperor in THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK before George Lucas learned how to rewrite movie history with editing and CGI),Gayle Hunnicut and the great Pamela Franklin (where did you go,Pam ?) star as a team of experts investigating the super haunted house of a wealthy(deceaced) sadist/pervert ,and find more terror than they can handle.Nice,low tech special effects and a great use of sound make this one a shuddery experience.Great acting.If you've never seen it,check it out,it's old school without being old hat.

18. Luna

Luna Guest

Hm, I've been thinking about this for hours now but I'm really having a hard time choosing, mostly among old B&W movies because those are somehow most effective for me. I think it's the rich contrast, shadows and all that which appeal to me. The Changeling was another strong option but you just can't go wrong with Vincent Price so my choice is House On Haunted Hill. :D

19. bwana the clown

bwana the clown Supreme Ruler Of Sados

Once again I have to give Fulci some lovin' and pick House By The Cemetery. While not as scary as many of the movies already mentioned, for a Fulci film it does have some genuinely creepy moments and oozes atmosphere, while still managing to pack in plenty of gore.

And of course it gets bonus points for Bob!

20. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Good movie, but this one actually makes me laugh more than frightens me. hence my choice earlier.