October LASERDISC watching. Try for 31 this month!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by wago70, Oct 9, 2007.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    Go for 31 LD films. Log 'em here!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Sounds great, but I won't be watching 31 movies in ANY form this month. Not with my film festival starting this Thursday.

Still, we're on the same wavelength, as I realized I hadn't gone 12" in a couple of weeks, so I watched Tie Me Up Tie Me Down on Sunday night.

3. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I just ordered Scream DTS off of eBay so I will at least watch one this month ;)

I'll try and mix another couple in.

4. wago70

1. Horrors of the Black Museum - Roan Group.
    2. The Headless Ghost - Roan Group.
    3. Nightmare - Universal/Hammer

I've had these LD's since they first came out (the '90's!!!) and I am FINALLY watching them. Great transfers, by the way. I've realized I still have a hefty collection of ignored goodies to watch.
    My DVD viewing will be reduced this month. I'm saving money for a trip to Europe this Christmas and next summer so I'll be home a lot with no social life, LOL> Fun shhhhtuff!!!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  5. Sam

Sam Member

I'll be lucky to watch more than 4 or 5 LDs this month. No game plan yet.. so I'll probably throw in a few random ones that I haven't seen in ages, like PHANTOM OF THE MALL, EVIL CLUTCH, and GIRLFRIEND FROM HELL.

6. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Oct. 10th

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  7. wago70

October 11: the Roan LD release of NIGHT TIDE. Terrific flick. I've had this LD for about 5 years and this is the first time I watched it. Loved it. Fits well with "Carnival of Souls" for some odd reason.
    Disc came with a repro ad sheet as well. I miss the Roan disc days :(

Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  8. wago70

October 11/12: The Roan LD release of TARGET EARTH. Entertaining, lively flick. Would play well with "Panic in the Year 2000" and "Day the World Ended". Picture quality is good and the extras are a producer commentary, trailer and still gallery (which, thankfully, plays itself start to finish :) ). I enjoyed the disc so much I watched once without and with the audio commentary. Comes with press sheet reproduction :). Nice release.

9. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    1. THE BABYSITTER

A decent made for TV horror/thriller featuring the talented acting skills of one William Shatner. It is a slow build up but worth the wait because it gets a little more disturbing than I had expected.

10. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Paff watched 31 laserdiscs..... THIS MORNING.

11. wago70

#6:
    Settling down to watch MGM/UA's laserdisc of THEATER OF BLOOD. Nothing gets me in the Halloween/Autumn mood more than a Vincent Price flick. :)

Update: I'd forgotten how good this disc looks. Back in its original release, Widescreen Review said the colors were ugly. I thought they were hip to the earth tones of the early '70's but whatever. I think it comes close to DVD quality...or I have some great wires because this transfer was fine.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  12. wago70

October 16th:
    #7.
    LEGEND OF THE SEVEN GOLDEN VAMPIRES. Roan LD. Beautiful gatefold cover! I don't have the DVD to compare picture quality, but it looked very nice to me! I've had this LD set since its original release and this is the first time I've seen the film. I didn't think the two genres would work at all together, but I was wrong. Fun shtuff!!!
    THEATER OF BLOOD I couldn't resist watching it AGAIN.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow, what a coincedence. At my film festival this past weekend, the discussion of merging horror and kung-fu came up. Our on-site DVD seller talked about Golden Vampires, but how the DVD was OOP and very hard-to-find. I of course mentioned my laserdisc copy, and a bunch of us are planning to watch it as soon as the festival is over.

Still stuck on one LD watched, but hey, I was at our festival for sometimes more than 18 hours a day over the weekend. Things slow down after tomorrow, and I do plan on firing up the 704. I've been in a mood for watching The Funhouse again, so that should get spun sometime this weekend.

14. wago70

Great! The Funhouse LD is nice. I like the sound better and the trailer is in much better condition than the DVD! It's in 1.85 letter box, even!
    It's quite nice to have those extra heavy covers from the Roan releases. They're so glossy and stiff. I'd bought an arm full of those when a local LD dealer was going out of business at 75% off. :) I have a few more to go. The press repros are a nice touch on some of the releases, also.
    I've not listened the Peter Cushing interview yet on "Vampires"

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's not an interview, it's him reading the story of The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires.

I'll get a few more LDs in before the end of the month, although it won't come anywhere near 31. I've got The Funhouse, The Haunting, Night of the Living Dead, and The Blair Witch Project on my to-view list, and they're all on LD for me.

16. wago70

SEVEN BROTHERS MEET DRACULA - this feature cuts to the action right away. I have a feeling this was made for the grindhouses. Call it the "Bud Light" version. Still it's good and looked quite nice, as well.

17. wago70

I guess I did the right thing by watching ...7 GOLDEN... before SEVEN BROTHERS.... The re-edited film is pretty weak...as if edited for a - hell, I don't know. The original film is much more coherent.

#9:
    QUATERMASS II - Roan Laserdisc. The intro to the film had this very "public domain" look as in "this is poor quality stuff". Then BAM! The sharp credits took over and from there the picture quality was nice and clear. B/W films can look wonderful on laserdisc, and this film is no exception. Nice transfer! It has taken me 8 years to finally open this up and watch it. 8 years!!! I just didn't realize this film would encompass all that I loved about other Nigel Kneale scripts. There were, unexpectedly, monsters at the finale also. I had fun watching this one. It's not a boneheaded drive-in flick, that's for sure. It's as intriguing and interesting as one would hope to expect of a Quatermass story. Highly recommended.

18. wago70

#10:
    X THE UNKNOWN-Roan Hammer Collection. Wonderful flick that turned out to be a perfect co-feature with Quatermass II. B/W film looked wonderful - the transfer was first-rate. Recommended!

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

#2: The Funhouse.

Someday I should get this on DVD, as the LD transfer is ass. I'll still keep the laser for that trailer though...

20. wago70

The blacks are pale and the reds bleed (!) - you're right, it deserved better. The DVD trailer is ass. Keep the LD for that Trailer!