October LASERDISC watching. Try for 31 this month!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by wago70, Oct 9, 2007.

1. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    #11.
    MONSTER ON THE CAMPUS - full frame, looked mighty fine and pretty entertaining. This is part of a Universal box set Golden Age of Sci-Fi Thrillers II. I have the DVD of this, but I have yet watch it. This is the stuff of late-night TV so that's when I watched it. :)!

#12.
    THE LEECH WOMAN also part of the LD boxset mentioned above. I actually saw parts of this on Creature Features (Bay Area Version with Bob Wilkins) back when I was a wee lad. Other than the opening titles, the film bored me then (I was so Godzilla mad, these B/W films were a hard sell for me to sit through). First of all, the transfer is first-rate and the sound is very clear. I enjoyed this horror/drama.
    Yes, I have had this set since '98 and this is the first time I sat down to watch LEECH WOMAN.

2. Egg_Shen

Egg_Shen broomhead

I haven’t watched too many horror titles really. I got some concert stuff of Neil Young (Solo Trans, which is pretty rare, and Weld), and the directors cut of Texasville. I did get Phase IV on disc and it was my first time watching it. Amazing little film. I have no idea how Saul Bass was able to achieve what he did in that one. Especially the “ant memorial”. Very groovy.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

3. The Untold Story.

Damn that's a nasty film. Decent LD too, with a few of the darker scenes that are a little murky. Everything else looks pretty good. Still a hard movie to sit through though.

4. wago70

#13:
    MONSTER THAT CHALLENGED THE WORLD - I watch this often but since I had the MGM sci-fi boxset out, I let it play. I don't have the DVD yet, so I'm not sure if the feature has been cleaned up. The transfer is great as is the sound. Minor flecks in the print used but overall - woth keeping (I've sold most of my classic flicks in '05 and '06). Fun flick - although I wonder why they didn't edit out the sounds of the mechanics operating the big monster?
    I've been visiting Joe Dante's site called "Trailersfromhell.com" so I've been on the classic-flick-kick although I don't have many on LD left to watch :(

5. Sam

Sam Member

13 -- wow! I've still yet to watch a LD this month. :( Soon...

6. wago70

#14:
    IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE
    Not my first choice, but I've had this boxset out (MGM) and decided to play it out (sans Red Planet Mars). Surprisingly not as clear as the others on this set :( The image is smooth, overall, but some scenes are nice and sharp while others (mostly effects shots) are slightly grainier. Still very good, though. I'm curious to see how the DVD looks.
    The movie itself: GANGBUSTERS! Love every second of it.

7. wago70

My DVD viewing is much lower. Perhaps 2 a week lately. It's a nice change, however. Plus - I've saved so much money by staying home!

8. wago70

#15:
    BARON BLOOD
    Terrific Elite LD (they were the sh*t back in the day!). I've always thought the LD looked better and less grainy than the DVD. The sound is also clearer (no need to turn up the volume to hear dialogue as I had to when watching the DVD). Overall, fine. I got rid of my DVD a few months ago. My new set from Anchor Bay is coming in the mail any day now. I watched this LD for that late-night "Creature Features" feeling but also in anticipation for the newer DVD version. I'm sure it'll be clearer, but for now, this LD trumps the Image DVD in many ways.
    Great film, too. Thanks, Elite!

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Kinda trapped in by the fires in SoCal. My area is safe, but everything else is shut down, including my job. Keeping the doors and windows shut. Nothing to do but watch movies.

4. Poltergeist

I was really impressed by the transfer here. It's a bit over-saturated and too rich, but still pretty good. Especially since it's a fairly old disc (1991), before re-mastering, Dolby Digital, and all that became common. Also, after having watched a Tobe Hooper film the other night, I can totally see that it's more Spielberg than Hooper. Whatever scenes Hooper did direct, he was a total puppet of Spielberg.

10. wago70

Stay safe!
    The only thing truly "Hooper-ian" about POLTERGEIST are all the screaming sequences, LOL. Seriously - the pool sequence is true Hooper as is the crazed finale. All his prior films ended with screaming, running, screaming, pipers piping, maids-a-milking and so on. I really miss his everything-but-the-kitchen sink finales. :)

11. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I got a "Hooper" feeling when the Freelings are asking their neighbors if there have been any disturbances, as they're fending off mosquitoes. Reminded me a little of TCM as that guy goes back and forth washing the windows on the van.

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Thanks. I think the worst has passed, but it's still friggin hot (90+) and windy, which does not help matters any.

To keep it in a horror movie perspective, right now the town of Julian is being threatened. Part of Phantasm was filmed there. The scene where Michael walks down the street and sees the Tall Man in front of Reggie's Ice Cream, that's Julian CA, just outside of San Diego. On full frame versions, you can even see him walk by the "Julian General Store". That's matted out on widescreen versions though.

13. wago70

#16:
    HALLOWEEN - wonderful Criterion CAV set. The transfer is fine and very smooth/film-like. Great extras and fun text to read about the making of the film. The transfer holds up nicely (on a CRT tv screen, monster cables and upper end Pioneer player, that is). This movie goes by way too fast. I never get tired of seeing it.

14. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Dam Wago where do you buy your LD's? Don't say Amoeba they suck! LOL :lol:

15. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    2. Scream - Director's Cut (DTS)
    This film is only 11 years old but for some reason, it is the most dated slasher of all time. It still holds up though, and the DTS track was very nice. Certain noises such as phone calls and school bells almost had me out of my seat. At one point, the doorbell rang and I had to check myself from going to answer my own door. Although the Director's Cut only sports an extra 60 seconds or so, they really matter. I found the approach shot of Drew hanging much more effective in this version. Sadly, this is likely my last LD of the month, unless I drag out one of my many Dawn of the Dead LDs.

16. wago70

Tell me! I've had them since they were originally released. I bought most of the horror titles that came out in letterbox or special edition. In some cases, I bought DOUBLES thinking no other format would come along to replace them :fire: and in case we had a big earthquake or fire. I had to sell 75% of my collection last year and believe it or not, almost broke even in what I spent on them.:eek:
    I got this Criterion HALLOWEEN for $10 at Rasputin a few years ago. I looked at it and opened it and it was so minty and the spine was stiff that it was a sure buy. I'm glad I did. :D
    I have but a minor collection now of essentials. I only kick myself for getting rid of my Elite Texas Chainsaw Massacre. :fire: and my Cannibal Ferox with the record:fire: .

17. wago70

#17.
    HELLRAISER - Lumivision Box set. Noisy neighbors made for a sleepless night so I spent it watching this film which I've not seen in years. I remember buying this box set at Tower for $60 (on sale!). Beautiful gatefold cover with inner liner notes by Clive Barker, a book of the screenplay and a really cool outer box that's quite durable.
    The film is amazing. However, I saw this the day it opened in 1987 and I was rather tricked by the marketing. I was expecting a Freddy type of killer and the trailers didn't give away the fact that HUMANS are the films big villians. Mr. "I'll tear your soul apart" is not the films main focus. With that, I grooved to Julia as played by the SUPERB Claire Higgins. Hellraiser has some serious drama going on that clicked with me. I feared a certain character more than any creature in the film. The special effects are indeed special. Some are clunky - but you do see the imagination behind them which is enough blow you away. The music score during the uncle Frank "formation" scene is classy, but freaky. Such a great film. This is one of the very few films I wish a director would pull a "George Lucas" and touch up a few effects and re-release the film. Of course the films most smashing special effect is, without a doubt, Ashley Laurence's eyes.
    The transfer is softer than DVD (surprise!!!) but still pretty clear, sharp, colorful. The one thing that amazed me is there was not one white fleck or speck on the entire disc! Halloween, had it's few share as do most LD's, but I must have gotten a rare pressing of Hellraiser in that regard.
    The International Trailer, gives much away, but it is more honest than the sensational USA ones which are slightly misleading about the films plot and characters (at least to me). There is a 2nd disc of extras, but I've not looked at it yet.

18. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

I used to have about 100+ LD's I sold most of them though. Good friend of mine sold them on eBay 4 years ago. Those were the good old days before eBay became a rat hole. Every dirt cheap, cheap skate moron on the planet looking for cheese infests eBay now. Nothing sells good so I don't ask nobody to sell my shit no more. As far as amoeba goes they used to be great. Then DVD came in and they liquidated they're LD's. All they have left now is $1 junk nobody wants. I don't know what sucks more the drug addicts who work there are the shitty selections. Everybody in Hollyhomless Wood thinks they are the BOMB. The store is the biggest largest toilet dump. I don't bother driving there no more. All those LD's you say you miss sell dirt cheap on ebay. I don't use eBay to buy stuff but I do lurk the site to see how well stuff sells. So no need to kick youself no more. Only problem with buying LD buying on ebay is sellers who have no clue how to pack them without getting damaged. Upgrading your LD's for DVD is pretty stupid IMO. Sure some stuff looks clearer. However LD's feel sweet when you hold them like old school records. For example I still have the JAPANESE LD of Prince of darkness. It's my favorite LD of all time. The cover is jet blue with a hand holding a blade. It's so gorgious & if you folks don't have it you have no idea how sweet that LD is. It's nice to know some of us here still appreciate this format!

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

#5: Frankenstein (1931). I actually like Bride of Frankenstein a little more, but I spun this one tonight. Always good to see a classic.

And I don't know why the Amoeba hate. I admit, I was there back in May and only picked up a handful of discs. But last year, I scored some good stuff, like Criterion editions of Repulsion, Sid and Nancy, and Dersu Uzala.

20. wago70

#18!
    HELLBOUND HELLRAISER 2
    Nice Lumivision disc. I've only spun it once before back in the late '90's. Disc looks great although a tad soft in the image. Colors are great, though.
    Uneven, but terrific follow-up. Claire Higgins throws herself into the role. Her "you wanted to see" scene was mindblowing. Her contribution is shamefully underrated. The transfer is perhaps too good...the layers of make-up on the Cenobites are visible at times. Overall, it's a terrific film especially if you like the color RED. ;) Trailers, a few behind the scenes featurettes and some other goodies round out the single laserdisc package.