October LASERDISC watching. Try for 31 this month!

Discussion in 'Laserdisc' started by wago70, Oct 9, 2007.

1. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    Ok, you talked me into it...

3. Night of the Living Dead
    A beautiful transfer to say the least. The PCM audio was hitting pretty hard as well. When Ben is boarding up the house, things were rattling on shelves clear across my house. The music in the first 25 minutes or so is an assault on the sences. It takes the emotions of the scene(s) and blasts it in your face. It could be frightening to listen to from another room. I do believe that this is the first time I have watched the LD without the commentary. Great stuff.

Obviously, I won't be hitting that magical 31 number, but I do have another LD or two up my sleeve.

2. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    It's been great. I'm homebound since I'm going to Europe in December and again in summer.
    It's my last batch of LD which I can't really sell (for what 2 cents?) so I thought I'd enjoy them as much as possible.
    Which brings me to DVD - most of my favorite film have been issued and issued a few times over, so I've just started unloading my collection and keeping the small essentials. I'll not be blowing wads of cash on a replaceable media any more.

3. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

#11: Tales of Terror

Peter Lorre makes this one so enjoyable. I always tend to tune out during the final story though. Fun little anthology though...

4. Vlachio

Vlachio Guest

Yeah its hard to unload LDs for sale. Majority of them are not worth anything. Only LD that sell very good are the japanese ones.

5. ekent

4. The Crazies (Japanese)
    This is the first time I have watched this film without the commentary since the late 90's. The transfer is a little dark and grainy, but honestly, I think that lends to the film and its grindhouse nature. The DVD is way too crisp, although I do commend Blue Underground for the work they did on The Crazies.

The film is a mess. The guys in white suits were ovbiously overdubbed, but why they used such an odd echo effect is beyond me. Hidden somewhere is a decent story and potentially a decent film. I hear there is a remake planned, and honestly, if they get it right, it should easily surpass the original. Do ultraviolet lights actually protect against anything?

6. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I dunno, I kinda like The Crazies. As I mentioned in my review here, it serves as a bridge between Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. Romero clearly was fascinated with the apocalyptic aspect of his zombie films, and that's the more prevalent theme in Dawn. If you combine Night and The Crazies, you kinda have Dawn. It's worth watching for that alone.

7. wago70

I love how this was shot...all those cool angles, shadows and editing. Very horror movie-ish. This movie is scary and upsetting at the same time. I have read the paperback and it's no less scary (perhaps more so). The Elite LD is a mighty fine piece. I still have not seen all the extras!

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

The NOTLD Elite LD is on tap for tonight. I'm also gonna add The Curse of Frankenstein. I was thinking of one more, but I do wanna watch the conclusion of the South Park trilogy, so that may screw up my schedule...

9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

finished the month with a total of 13

12. The Curse of Frankenstein. A remarkably good transfer, but this movie doesn't impress me. Many of the sequels were better. Hammer movies can be slow, but it takes 50 minutes before anything decent happens. Then way too much is crammed into the final 30 minutes. Should have spread it out a little more.

13. Night of the Living Dead. Really nothing more to say about this one.

My interest in LD has been revived a bit. There's a few more I'd like to see, like the Baron Blood/Lisa and the Devil double disc, In The Mouth of Madness (DTS), and The Beyond. Maybe City of the Living Dead and Zombie too.

10. wago70

I didn't make 31 LDs watched. Aside from the Corman/Vincent Price flicks and the Godzilla Death Battle boxset, what I did watch is really all that felt appropriate for Halloween (and all I have left, LOL).
    It was a fun run, however. It was great watching LD's I bought but never watched.
    Thanks to EVERYONE for reading the thread and for viewing your LD's and posting here.
    As for Halloween, I finished the month with some more DVDs. I may put on a VHS (!) as I go to bed. I have a feeling I won't be getting much sleep once the noisy neighbors above and across the courtyard come home drunk and playing loud music. How I wish the living dead would rise and rip them to shreds. :)
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE! Until next year...

11. Agent Z

Agent Z "Get to the river...

Oct. 31st - early Nov. 1st

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  12. ekent

This would be my 5th, although it doesn't really count because I only watched sides one and two and had to shut it off to go to bed.

I am amazed by the picture quality on this. Every once and again I had to pause it to admire random frames. I hate the matting of Dawn overall (not just this release) and prefer the full frame version(s). Is there any chance in hell that the full frame version gets remastered? Doubtful, but at least I have my late 90's VHS release(s) to hold me over for eternity.

Also, thanks Wago for posting this challenge. It was fun and it has certainly got me back on the LD watching kick. Great idea!​

13. wago70

Yes, that DAWN set is great. I was going to watch that set along with DAY OF THE DEAD but I went out Tuesday night (!) instead.
    That TEXAS CHAINSAW set...I must get another. Don't know why I sold it for less than $5. I can't even think about it.
    I had a great time, too. It's amazing how great most of them still looked.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I still need to get that Dawn set, although I'll keep my movie-only release since it's been signed by George Romero, Tom Savini, and Ken Foree.

And I won't be getting rid of the TCM disc for the same reason; that one's been signed by Gunnar Hansen and Ed Neal

15. ekent

The CLV version's picture quality is stunningly good, until you watch the CAV.