Offerings (1989)

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by rhett, Apr 13, 2009.

1. rhett

rhett Administrator

[​IMG]

Well, Christopher Reynolds returns after the amazingly inconceivable 1920's slasher cum religious parable A DAY OF JUDGMENT with 1989's OFFERINGS. It's rare to see a director return to the slasher well more than once, especially with two different and eclectic little movies. I know there was some heat on the film in past slasher threads, but you know what, I thought it was pretty good. The writing was real sharp, lots of wit and even allusions to Shakespeare of all things. Definitely a few cuts above your usual slasher script, even if the basic premise follows all the parameters to a T. The most derivative aspect, though, is no doubt the score, which literally lifts cues and choruses from Halloween, A Nightmare on Elm Street and Psycho, among others I'm sure. And we're not talking "using them as inspiration", virtually every note is lifted, just in a new synth chord. It's pretty awesome.

Even if the film was released in 1989 it thankfully remains classical in the treatment of the genre, which is very rare considering movies like CUTTING CLASS were taking a Pitt-sized shit all over it. The opening catalyst, a little boy being bullied into falling into an open well, was nicely reminiscent of PROM NIGHT, but it then went on to carve its own path with some interesting kills (including one by tightening vice grip and another under the bed of all places) and a refreshing motive. The Shakespearian analogies pay off at the end when
    you realize he did it all for love! Talk about devotion!

Good production values, decent performances and a story with all the tried and true genre tropes made this more than watchable, and the witticisms in the script put it over the edge for me. A great time, and certainly a big improvement over the always laughable A DAY OF JUDGMENT. It's a shame we didn't get even more slasher contributions from Mr. Reynolds, since in 1989 it seemed he was only just starting to hit his stride. Anyone else dig it?

2. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

I bought the DVD in 2007. Enjoyed the movie and actually watched it a couple of times ever since. It works great as a party flick too because some scenes are just a hoot. My favorite is when Mother is making breakfast. Kills me every time :D

3. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

I still need to pick this up and this thread kinda just rekindled my interested in doing so.

4. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

I have it on DVD, but haven't watched it yet. I'll bump it up in the que.

I do have A Day of Judgment too, and yes, that is kinda snoozy. Still worth a watch though :)

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I dig it. I first saw it on VHS years ago, and I purchased the DVD way back when it first came out...for like $4. Some of the scenes are just a blast to watch. If you enjoy 80's slashers, you'd be hard pressed not to find something enjoyable about this one.

6. "Pitt-sized shit"! That is CLASSIC! Out of all your reviews that I've read, I think that might be the the line I will remember the most when I'm old and grey. I'll never see Brad Pitt-sized-shit in the same light again.

P.S. It is time again for another in depth DVD review. You MUST have seen something GOOD on optical disc since Sinful Dwarf.

7. rhett

rhett Administrator

Heh, how many different lights would you see that in? It's not exactly terminology you bring up at a supper table. If you ever hear his shit mentioned in a different context, I want to know about it. :lol:

No, I really haven't. :( Work's been nuts, the only reason I can fit these slashers in is because I can half pay attention to them while I'm editing. I'm working on a Last House on the Left comparison, but those suckers always take the wind out of me. Things should hopefully return to normal soon, and Dave's promised to pick up the slack too. Lazy bastard.

8. solankie

solankie Guest

What makes Brad Pitt considered the Sexiest Man Alive twice?
    Is he really that good looking? He has scar under his eyes, he dyes his hair, and he isn't in that great of shape unless a movie role demands it...

9. Natas

Natas Theres no such thing as the boogyman

Caught this for the first time yesterday (streaming on Amazon prime for free if anyone else has it)

Man.......I've seen a lot of movies rip of Carpenter's Halloween. But help my fuck. There are a handful of sequences where the score is pretty much identical to Carpenters. Like note for note.

I enjoyed it quite a bit though. I found myself laughing at many scenes. MOST scenes as a matter of fact. The middle started to drag a little bit but I thought it was a buy worthy 80s slasher. Uncut blu ray available?

10. stigdu

stigdu New Member

I watched it on Amazon as well, about a week ago. I thought it was one of the worst slasher films I've ever seen. Badly directed, average acting and derivative. The poster of the man holding the present is much more interesting than the film itself.