Offical Friday the 13th Boxset Specs

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MAATopDogg32, Jun 29, 2004.

1. tenebre

tenebre Guest

This is a joke...

I am mostly a lurker.. But this pisses me off. No way in hell i am buying this after already having bought the single versions. No uncut. that jsut idiotic. I woudl prefer they charge 300 bucks and make them all uncut.

2. Wez4555

Wez4555 Happy Trees Motherfucker!

screw them ass clowns! im only going to buy it if its used for fairly cheap. i just want the bonus disc and i dont want to give those fucks any money.

3. TobalRox

TobalRox Active Member

We all knew that this is how the set would be, so stop your bitching. They won't release it uncut, GET OVER IT. I didn't buy the single releases because I knew I would get the set cheaper. So this set is cheaper, and still gives me more. I love these movies as they are. I would prefer uncut, but I know it won't happen, so I will get what is the most cost effective.

4. killit

killit Active Member

Whore

5. evileye

evileye Member

I managed to ditch my older copys of the DVDs on EBAY at 8.00 (plus shipping). So, in effect I will be getting the bonus disc plus some change. Hardly any reason to complain. I guess if this was the first purchase I would be mad.

Thankfully, I am region free, so I have the 1st film uncut with commentary. This, with the box set, 2 in-depth books and 3 killer figures from Sideshow is FRIDAY THE 13TH nirvana this year!

I think the box definitely could have been better, but those complaining should remenber the many lacking S.E.'s put out by Anchor Bay, MGM and so forth.

6. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Are you kidding? Paramount isn't worthy of cleaning shit off the shoes of AB or MGM.

7. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Does anyone here recall ANY genre SE released by Paramount?

From the top of my head, the closest things they did to really cool SEs were FORREST GUMP and the GODFATHER trilogy. Even the INDIANA JONES trilogy is barebones in comparison.

8. killit

killit Active Member

And Francis did the godfather dvd! He used his own equipment at american zoetrope, Afasik, it was all done there in San Francisco. So that one barely counts! Paramount is a grandpa company, I think they think it's just vhs on cd. ohhh ultra stereo!

9. Star Trek movies

10. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Oh. You´re right.

But what else?

11. Wizejoker

Wizejoker Guest

Once Upon A Time in the West had a good dvd.

12. Smartt

Smartt Guest

Yeah, but those are the exceptions that confirm the rule.

Fact is, Paramound RARELY puts out a really decent release.

13. evileye

evileye Member

Anchor bay has routinely released their catalogue of hits 3 to 8 times on DVD. HALLOWEEN? ARMY OF DAKRNESS? DAWN OF THE DEAD? I'm sure most of the forum members have rebought these discs in various non-anamorphic, featureless incarnations and their follow ups. While I think their transferes are generally good and the DAWN OF THE DEAD set is amazing, most of their DVDs have ben a bit lacking compared to say New Line (and in comparison, the NIGHTMARE box has little more that the FRIDAY box). Paramount usually dumps B titles in clean anamorphic prints with little in the way of extras too.

Anchor Bay is always toting special editions of their genre titles, yet many are just released with a trailer or still gallery. And if you scan far back enough, you will find tons of carless mistakes (DAY OF THE DEAD's edited dialogue, SLEEPAWAY CAMP's edited DVD, SUSPIRIA's controversial audio, HALLOWEEN Divimax's washed out colors, DEEP RED's end titles, blah blah blah) that have inspired dozens of angry forums from horror fans.

I guess it boils down to a studio doing extra features on thier films that are the most popular, whicH would explain why we get a 4 disc DAWN OF THE DEAD from Anchor Bay and diddly squat on THE INITIATION.

While I am equally bummed that some of the films have no features (and I would have preferred some 5.1 remixes), I think some of the supplements are terrific and beyond what I expected from a series that most people outside this forum regard as utter crap.

14. TheShape

TheShape Member

Which 2 books do you mean? Are you counting the one that Peter M. Bracke from DVD File is writing?

15. evileye

evileye Member

There is Peter Bracke's book in the pipepline.

Then there is MAKING FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE LEGEND OF CAMP BLOOD (Fab Press) due in October by David Grove. It available for pre-order at Amazon. It's listed as:

"For a quarter of a century - from the shocking debut of 1980's Friday the 13th to the awesome commercial success of 2003's Freddy Vs. Jason - the Friday the 13th series has endured as the most popular horror franchise in the world. Now, David Grove has written an exhaustive document detailing the making - and the impact - of all of the films in the Friday the 13th series. Finally, the incredible story of the phenomenon that is Friday the 13th can be told.

By talking to all of the key personnel involved in the making of the films, Grove has delivered the definitive account of the series. Combining detailed production histories of each of the eleven films with rare anecdotes and interviews, Grove provides an entertaining and extensive document of this unique part of horror cinema history.

Featuring hundreds of rare interviews with, among others, such luminaries as Kevin Bacon, Wes Craven, Sean S. Cunningham, Robert Englund, Adrienne King, Betsy Palmer and Tom Savini.

Illustrated with scores of previously unseen photos - many from private collections - Grove's book casts fresh light on a cinematic phenomenon that's now stronger than ever. From the birth of Jason, via the first appearance of the iconic hockey mask, to the climactic pairing of Jason Voorhees and Freddy Krueger, it's all here. 11 films. More than $500 Million in worldwide box office. A body count in the hundreds. A fan-base in the tens of millions. Friday the 13th can't ever die, and it never will."

I think by Halloween 2004, any fan of this series will be exhausted by the wealth of info and back stories on this series.

16. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

That book sounds great, and I will definitely be getting a copy. I will also shell out for the friday box because I sold all of my single discs when I heard this was coming. I do hope they release a true definitive version with uncut discs in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

17. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

Here's what I have to say about the box set. The real fans have already purchased all the films on dvd and don't need it. Sure it would make a great gift, but its useless to real slasher/ Jason fans.

18. dayglo

dayglo Member

I consider myself a real fan, and didn't purchase the barebones. I wasn't willing to spend 30 bucks a movie on such an empty package. If they'd retailed for around 15, then I would have bought.

Since I waited, I'll get the boxset as it has all the extra things a fan would want to see in addition to the films.

19. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

I consider myself a real fan of the Friday the 13th movies and I stayed away from the original DVD's because they were lacking in special features. I know the boxset may not be everything fans wanted it to be but it is much better than I expected and is worth buying. I'm actually not that disappointed in the box set. My only complaints are the obvious ones like no commentary for F13 and part 2 and the fact that they are not the long sought after uncut editions.

20. I wouldn't consider the new Halloween DVD to be washed out. It's mising the color tints found on the previous DVD (which I prefer) but I don't think it looks washed out at all. I think it's very bright and vibrant actually.