Offical Friday the 13th Boxset Specs

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MAATopDogg32, Jun 29, 2004.

1. bensunt

bensunt Guest

More online rumors (from hometheaterforum)..:

"One of the commentaries only happened because the director strongly requested to do it. He did it for free, but we almost didn´t get it - why? Because Paramount cut the production short.

Two commentaries did not happen, despite the parts being available and willing.

One commentary already available in R2 was not acquired.
    (To be fair, that commentary was only cut and pasted together from the Warners documentary, and would not have been well recieved as an official commentary for this set-ed.)

Restored cut footage available in R2 and R4 is not part of the set - it was not acquired.

Paramount cut the music video and bloopers reel to cut down on costs.

One employee at Paramount confirmed by phone they do have cut footage (not in VHS, in actual film), all it takes is someone go down there dig it up. Not an easy job, right - it´s definetly a lot of man-hours. Well, two different professional DVD producers (one of them coming from the Nightmare set and other horror DVDs) offered to go into Paramount´s vaults look for the cut footage for free. Two different guys offered to do it. Not some random fans, two DVD producers. FOR FREE.

Paramount turned them both down. ( :rolleyes: )

The team that produced the DVD set wanted more time. Paramount refused.

Paramount´s rep said he was "dying to prove you wrong" when the regulars at HTF said there was no way the movies were going to be released unrated.

This set could be much better. They had the guys for the part 1 and 4 commentaries THERE, being interviewed and willing to do the commentaries. All it would cost was paying the sound booth guys to record it. A commentary track can be shot in a few hours. Part 3´s commentary was shot in a couple hours, so in 3 or 4 hours of work, they would´ve gotten TWO EXTRA commentaries.

This has been confirmed by not only Savini but also By Peter Bracke and the team behind the DVD set itself(toolbox): we didn´t get commentaries for part 1 and 4 because Paramount didn´t allow them to do it."

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

i might consider buying this box set but i might not

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Well, at first they(barebones) were pretty expensive, but the last few I bought were about half that price. You're still getting a somewhat "empty package" with the boxset - however, the price is very reasonable. I think the boxset is a decent buy for those who have held out this far. Lack of uncut versions aside, the films and some extras are still there, and you're not paying out your ass for them.

4. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

the rumors, if true, listed above by bensunt are truly depressing. I will VERY reluctantly shell out for this box set because I got rid of my bare bones discs last year when I heard that this "definitive" box would be coming out, but why paramount would turn down easy to do commentaries and offers to search for lost footage for free are completely beyond me. The only excuse that makes any sense is that they take some glee in shitting on loyal fans. paramount, by FAR, are the WORST company for horror fans. Diamond looks like BU or Anchor bay in comparison.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I'm a true Friday fan, and I've held out on the barebones discs. It's not a matter of being a fan, just knowing that they would release these again. If I had all the barebones discs, I would not buy this box set, but there's no point in whining over spilled milk. I mean really, who didn't think Paramount would rerelease this?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  6. Gothic Queen

Gothic Queen Guest

Jason Box set

Hey...I can't see into the future like you so I didn't see it comming, First I bought my favorites, and then I only needed two more to complete the collection...so why not? I'm not whining I'm pissed off, basically at the lack of extra footage and commentaries because as much as it hurts me I probably will buy the box set too, do some comparing and then decide what stays in the collection. But I think I have a right to groan a little for all my hard earned money!

7. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Then I guess I was the only one who saw a box set coming from a mile away. Paramounts a business, they're out to make money, and this is an easy way to do so.

8. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

I also never picked up the original releases becuase i figured they'd release a boxset.

9. Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert Guest

I'm happy with the new Friday the 13th box set..!! -Wheres the commentery for part 1

I am happy with the new discs that is being out this fall..? -I
    have bought the other DVDS..!! -And I'm excited that their some commenterys..! -What happen with; -Part 1's..! -Commentery..! -Is
    it on their..? -Like I said with the other DVD'S..! -I've bought them
    back in; -1999..! -And I thought what a waste of money; -now that I am
    buying the same disc with extras on the bonus features..? -Which is
    about time..? -But I think it stinks that; -Part 1 commentery is not
    on their..? -If you get my drift on that..?

10. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

No, I don't get your drift.

11. Roger Ebert

Roger Ebert Guest

12. DrGerbil

DrGerbil Member

The irony is the REAL Roger Ebert would likely throw those DVDs in the trash rather than watch them. :lol:

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

K. :)

14. Tuzotonic

Tuzotonic Guest

Roger Ebert is now a member of the forum? Now I guess we get to hear about what pieces of junk most of these movies are. Do you need to rewatch I Spit on Your Grave, Roger? I know you just love that one. :)

Okay, so I was a little hard on him. Welcome to the forum, Roger. :banana:

15. Noto

Noto Guest

I might be able to catch your drift if it was actually going somewhere.

16. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

You guys will be glad to know that this set will have a Best Buy exclusive bonus DVD, with a 29-minute panel discussion from a Fango hootenanny.

You just have to love Paramount, don't you?

17. Damed

Damed Guest

I sincerely hope you are joking. Where did you get that info?

18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yay. I love Best Buy.

19. I loved his work on Beyond the Valley of the Dolls

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

That news comes straight from Best Buy's own website.