Offical Friday the 13th Boxset Specs

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MAATopDogg32, Jun 29, 2004.

1. evileye

evileye Member

I personally think the series tanked after part 5.
    I could never understand why they turned a straight slasher film series into a zombie flick (I do like 6, but it just does not fit in my opinion).

I know they wanted to try and do something different, but it seemed like most people were willing to pay to see the same movie remade 5 times before... why mess with a good thing? Leave the undead to Romero.

Now that Jason can live on in the "VS" films (JASON VS FREDDY, JASON VS ASH, JASON VS GODZILLA, JASON VS THE TERMINATOR.....), I keep hoping they will round up some of the past cast members (the box set proves Amy Steele, Corey Feldman and Dana Kimmell are somewhat game) and do a HALLOWEEN H20ish slasher update (maybe then New Line could actually use the FRIDAY THE 13th title).

2. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

Mystical forces have answered your wondering:
    here

3. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Yup, it's true. Paramount turned it into a zombie franchise for a mere $162 cash.

4. evileye

evileye Member

Cash???
    I don't recall the series being a box-office smash after part 5.
    While JASON VS FREDDY did great biz, most of the zombie Jason flicks sucked major wind in the bank department.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Wll, they couldn't have predicted that the films after five would fail. So for all they knew bringing Jason back would make boatloads more cash.

6. John Gargo

John Gargo Guest

Well that's because that film attracted fans of both series. If it had been JASON XI instead, New Line would have had another flop on their hands.

Anyway, I consider FREDDY VS JASON to be more of a NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET sequel, since the emphasis is on Freddy's character.

7. bigwes15

bigwes15 Active Member

Slightly off topic here, but I was wondering....I bought a new bust of jason today at my comic store which is clearly marked "Friday the 13th" on the box, and on the back of the package states that both Jason and Friday the 13th are copyrighted by New line Studios. Now, I had obviously thought that the Friday the 13th name was still owned by Paramount, which would make sense seeing as they are doing the box set and not what would undoubtedly be a MUCH better job by new Line. Does anyone know if the Friday title is now the property of new Line?

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm pretty sure that Paramount also sold the rights to the F13 monikers when they sold the movie franchise rights to New Line years ago.

9. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I think New Line does own the right to use the F13 title. They just can't use old footage from Paramount.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  10. H0MOSareGAY

H0MOSareGAY Guest

Newline does own the rights to the character. The fact that they already own the F13 franchise and the great dvds they gave to parts 9 and up was the reason I mentioned their name as someone who might be willing to buy the old footage. The day something like this actually happens, I will promptly shit myself unconcious from shock.

Obviously the movies after part five weren't hits, but I think after part 5, Paramount probably thought there was some money in bringing back the jason character. Every time a slasher makes some money, old franchises or crappy new ones try to cash in on the craze.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2004
  11. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Yep, that's why on the "Many Lives of Jason Voorhees" doc. on X, they talk about all the films but only show clips from JGTH and X (which really hurt the doc IMO. Got sick of seeing the same footage over and over, not to mention trying to make it seem like it was from one of the eariler F13 flicks).

12. marcx

marcx New Member

Hey folks-did anyone see the article on the set in the new fangoria--there waere some interesting comments to say the least

some key points:
    -the article mentioned all new transfers
    -Beuchler said the workprint they used for the cut part 7 scenes was found by a fan
    -they said they couldnt turn up any more cut footage even though they searched
    -they specifically mentioned searching for the arrow being shot in the eye that everyone was asking for but didnt seem to exist--hmm who said they were looking for that anyway?

But the most "interesting" part--Blyhe called F13th on DVD a "Work in progress" he said they are constantly looking for more stuff and we could see single movie special editions in the furtre with cut footage re-inserted...

13. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

No surprise there. Release them all as individual, barebones editions. Then a half-assed box set. Then individual, special editions. Can a Super-Duper Deluxe box set be far behind that?

14. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

So is there any confirmation of this extra disc if you buy it from Best Buy?

15. betterdan

betterdan Guest

16. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

DVD Soon sells this one these days with very good price, 62CAD (=40€ / $48) including shipping worldwide. That makes one film cost 5€ / $6 or one disc 8€ / $10.

They change their prices weekly, sometimes daily. Last week it was over 70CAD.

Compared to U.S. prices DVDPlanet $63, DeepDiscountDVD $57, BestBuy $58, DVDSoon has the only price I'm willing to pay for this far from perfect box set. I don't know about U.S. orders but to Europe Deep and Planet add massive shipping charges which aren't included to prices above.

edit: Now 09/15 the price has been changed to 74CAD again.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  17. Silent Noize

Silent Noize New Member

Yup, i read something about this last night. Looks like they are taking a page from Anchor Bay's playbook with all these dips. Oh well, i was not planing to buy this boxed set anyway.

18. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

19. betterdan

betterdan Guest

I just happened to find it by looking at their deals.

20. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I'm trying to decide if the small extra is worth the $11 more than it'd cost me elsewhere.