Offical Friday the 13th Boxset Specs

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by MAATopDogg32, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Guyver99

Guyver99 Member

I'm leaning toward just getting it from Amazon. The bonus disc isn't even 30 minutes in length...that's not worth $10 more (which from my perspective is half the money for another DVD). It sounds like it's just some guy with a camcorder taping a fangoria panel.

2. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

That's such bull shit.

3. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

DVD Soon shipped mine yesterday.

Now their price is 70cad. It was 74 couple of days ago and 62 when I made my order.

4. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

from what i've read from various fans, JGTH can be linked to 8 as follows:

The whole jason turning into a child via the toxic waste was a hallicination, like some of the earlier endings. What happened was that Jason did get swept away in toxic waste. He later found his way back to Crystal Lake. Since he was in the toxic waste, his whole body bubbled up and mutated, thus the oddball look he has in JGTH. Makes sense, and that's how i view it. Then of course, Jason gets brought out of hell via Freddy in FVJ, and Jason X takes place in the future.

5. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

holy shit that is what i have been thinking
    but as far as the dvd set that comes out i am happy with friday the 13th 1-9 on video and jason x on dvd if all the movies would have had the extra gore/deleted scenes then i would of got it and to bad friday the 13th part 8
    did not have the music video and alternate ending on the disc

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Great review :

Reviewer: Alex Sandell (USA)

Fans have been begging Paramount for years to release the unrated and uncut Friday the 13th films. The "Blockbuster and Wal-Mart won't sell them" excuse I've heard, here and there, is patently untrue. Both Blockbuster and Wal-Mart sell and rent unrated films (call either of them up and ask if they carry the unrated edition of "Bad Santa," if you need proof). They simply don't sell or rent NC-17 movies.

So what's Paramount's excuse? No input from the Directors of the films? Nope, that's not it. John Carl Buechler, director of Friday the 13th Part VII has openly campaigned for an unrated version to be released (so fans can finally see "the new BLOOD"). Tom McLoughlin, director of Friday the 13th Part VI, told me directly that he has contacted Paramount, letting them know that he would be willing to do a director's commentary AND re-edit an unrated Director's Cut of Jason Lives *for free*. He has yet to hear back from the studio (regarding the Director's cut). If this box set is any indication, he never will. Kane Hodder, Jason in Paramount's F13 6, 7 and 8 has been screaming for unrated and uncut versions, and has expressed a desire to do commentary for each of the films (including the ones he didn't star in). So why, at the very least, isn't there commentary on EVERY disc? I suspect it's because Paramount wanted to cram two movies onto each disc, leaving no space for commentary or other valuable extras on some of the films (and giving a compressed picture, that isn't much better than what you get on video).

Why aren't the films uncut and unrated? Because Paramount is too stubborn to release them that way. It has been known for years that Paramount has been "ashamed" of this series. They don't get what it is that makes the movies great, and therefore think they can give fans bargain bin box sets like this, rather than presenting them with the quality box set the Friday the 13th films DESERVE.

This should have been a 16 disc set. Each film should have had 2 discs, one featuring the unrated version, the other the theatrical version. There should have been commentary on the unrated version (disc 1) for the movie, and extras on the rated version (disc 2). It's a shame that Paramount won't sell the entire series to New Line, a studio who has expressed interest in doing a comprehensive box set, which would include the long sought after uncut films.

If New Line's Freddy vs. Jason wouldn't have been the hit it was, fans wouldn't even be getting this box set. Then again, they wouldn't have been missing much. Fans should let Paramount know what they think, by voting with their dollars. Until we get the box set we deserve, after we made these movies the gigantic hits that they were (most of them), and stuck with the series through thick and thin, we should reject this lame offering by Paramount and hold out for something better.

Paramount should be proud of this series. They should embrace it. They should never be ashamed of the 8 films they distributed. The only thing Paramount needs to be ashamed of is this quickie box set made to milk more cash from diehard Friday fans, at Halloween time. While I'll forever love the films, I cannot say anything nice about this set. It is easily the most poorly put together major DVD release I've ever seen. It's a disgrace. Not even the bloodiest uncut scenes could be as disgusting as Paramount's lackluster treatment of the Friday fans who have made the studio filthy rich, over the years.

7. thrashard76

thrashard76 Guest

Thanks for posting that.^^^ I agree completely.

8. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

While I agree with KR~ 100%, I read Rhett's review of the box set and decided, "What the hell. I'll get it anyway." I'm just so distrustful of corporations that change management as frequently as movie studios do; what if this is the best we ever get?
    So here's a tip that may help a few of you to avoid hitting your pocket TOO hard:

Blockbuster started their new DVD trading, where you get a minimum of $5 store credit for each DVD you trade in...starting today (until 11/1, I believe) you get a minimum of $8 for each trade-in!!! So I went to my collection and found a pile of old titles I no longer need: barebones editions, shitty birthday gifts, results of being drunk on Amazon at 3:30 in the morning, etc.
    So, basically, it's not costing me anything to get the less-than-stellar F13 box set. True, Paramount still gets paid and I do have to lose 8 or 9 DVDs in the process, but I easily found some that I honestly didn't want any more (and if you have all the barebones editions, the upgrade is almost free!!!).

So yeah, it's still not the set that the series deserves but I just don't have faith that we'll ever get what we want. I'll grab this one while I can. :(

9. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

The set is on sale for $52.19 at Best Buy.

10. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

The BB here was $57.99, and only 2 of the 5 sets they had at all had the BB bonus disc. I hate myself right now cuz I had to grab one. :fire: [My head here]

11. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

It says it's on sale when you check their page. I'll have to check my BB and see what they have it for and how many have the bonus discs.

12. Joni Backman

Joni Backman New Member

My box came today.

Here are couple of screenshots of unrated scenes (parts 6 & 7) for all those who won't buy this set.

As you can see picture quality is far from perfect. The sleeping bag scene is great (six hits) but I can't take good capture from that one because the blood sprays in front of dark background.

Attached Files:

13. Nyghtfall

Nyghtfall Guest

Well, I've been dreaming of seeing the double impaling from part 2 and the bunk bed impaling from part 5 for as long as I can remember. It's unfortunate that the box set doesn't include any cut footage from either of these two films, but I can be thankful that I finally found these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks, again, to Rhett for answering my clarifying questions about what cut footage the box set does and does not include from which films. You saved me $60!

:D

On a side note, I'd like to offer that I finally understand why the machete death from part 5 was excised from the final cut of the theatrical release (the reason I've read is because the filmmakers were unhappy with how fake the shot kept looking, take after take). Look close and you'll notice that the FX crew also forgot to paint the darker flesh tones on the nipples for the prosthetic used to simulate Juliette Cummins' breasts. Nevertheless, her pained expression more than makes up for it!

:evil:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2004
  14. life_o_petey

life_o_petey Guest

the importance of this development can't be lost.

15. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

part 6's footage doesn't look that bad. i may have to crop them out (damn paramount for not providing full screen footage) and create my uncut...well close to uncut i should say, version.

16. marcx

marcx New Member

rxfiend--i want to try tht as well--can you tell me what software you would use to grab the video to use in an editing program, and what you would use to crop thos shots?

17. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

My Best Buy was completely sold out by the time I got there. The guy I knew who worked there said they had a whole row of them when they opened. These things are selling like hotcakes. My mom said she'd be willing to go up during brake around 11 am while I'm at school on Friday so hopefully there will be one for her. Oh, is it clearly noticeable that the bonus disc is with it? I need to tell her what to look for.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Stacker on front, small picture of disc in lower left corner on back.
    Noticable to those who know, doesn't stand out to grab casual browser.

19. RickMoe

RickMoe New Member

You know, I snatch'd mine up the moment the store opened yesterday. But after sitting threw EVERY extra on the 5th disc, AND listening to the commentaries on part 3 and 6, I gotta say I was pretty darn disappointed. By FAR the commentaries are the best feature on these DVDs, which unfortunately are absent from parts 1, 2, 4 and 5. Which REALLY pisses me off since Cunningham, Zito, and Savini (not to mention some of the Jasons) appear for interviews! I know a commentary for part 1 was recorded and released overseas a while back, but Paramount could have at least recorded a new one.

The extras are also REALLY lacking. Things that most FRIDAY fans would know (or would want to know) are not even mentioned in the REALLY SHORT documentary. Most time is given to the original film, but there is no mention of the actual figures it made at the box office, or the influence it had on the genre. They do not make mention that it over-threw EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, which was revealed in the JASON GOES TO HELL DVD. And most surprisingly, they did NOT talk about how Adrienne King was stalked after this film and how she decided to give up being an actress from it. (This is revealed in the Region 3 UNCUT DVD).

The other moments of the documentary dedicated to the sequels is pretty darn piss poor. In fact, I don't think ANYONE involved with FRIDAY 5 (except five-minute Feldmen) gets to talk about the film! And Tom Savini's clips seem drastically edited. I know if Tom had his way he would have told Paramount to fuck off, but he went ahead and tried to supply himself to the fans. Tom would have jumped at the chance for a commentary on part 4... hell, he said more about it in the SCREAM GREATS documentary! Where the hell was that behind-the-scenes footage??

But what REALLY REALLY gets my blood boiling is that I, like hundreds of others, sent Paramount a videotape of FRIDAY extras for this DVD release (like they asked us to). I can tell you that they used NOTHING from that tape (mine at least), and that the "extended scenes" from FRIDAY 4 are NOT complete. They did not include the extended scene between Sara and the pretty guy on the front porch! And where the hell was the rest of the gore from FRIDAY 6? Well, even the director doesn't seem to know what happened to it.

All in all, I was really disappointed. And to cap it all off... that bonus disc makes the UNBELIEVABLE statement that this DVD contains "Everything you always wanted to know about FRIDAY THE 13TH, but were afraid to ask!"...

WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR 20 YEARS!!!!!

20. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

well, i just checked out the footage, and i'm not sure if it's even worth the time to do a new edit. only a few new clips and they're only seconds longer. anyway, i was gonna use TMPGEnc (i think that's what it's called). Take the VOB off the dvd that features the clips, then create a new clip with TMPGEnc, but in the process doing a crop job and resizing it.