Official Found Footage Movie Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Jan 30, 2014.

1. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

Best thing about frankensteins Army is the "creature" design. Second half really pays off.

The Conspiracy is just OK. It's really not that realistic but parts of the climax are quite creepy.

2. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I recently caught Afflicted on VOD a few nights ago and loved it. Although it has been receiving a fair amount of comparisons to Chronicle, it still does its own thing. If anything it goes to show you how much you can do with digital effects on such a small budget.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I watched two of these in the past week or so, and while neither were very impressive, they were both fairly tolerable for the found-footage genre:

[​IMG]

The Taking Of Deborah Logan - Great premise for a movie, but the execution is only so-so. I liked the back-story, it's surprisingly plot driven for a found-footage movie. Doesn't really have a lot of drag, like most of these films do. Unfortunately, none of the scares work, and the climax in the mine is so poorly shot that you can barely tell what is going on. If there's a reason to see the movie, it's for Jill Larson's performance as Deborah Logan, one of the finest performances I've seen in a genre film this year. Other than that... meh. Maybe worth a one-time watch, considering it's available on NetFlix.

[​IMG]

The Hunted - Written, directed, and starring Josh Stewart from The Collector movies, supposedly "based on a true incident" that happened to him while hunting. I liked this one a little bit more than Deborah Logan. There's a bit more drag here, things certainly move at a leisurely pace, but the scare scenes, which are surprisingly simple (basically two guys reacting to screaming noises coming from the woods), worked for me. Very impressive use of sound, it really sold me on these sequences. While the movie is pretty much nothing except two guys wandering around the woods, I was never bored enough to lose interest. The movie is akin to a good campfire story... albeit dragged out into 90 minutes. But like Deborah Logan, it isn't worth more than a one-time watch.

I'd probably say 5 or 6 / 10 for both.

4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Any thoughts on Ti West's Jonestown-inspired The Sacrament? Seems to fit the category and has an interesting premise. :)

5. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

It was fair. What I didn't like is that they stayed too faithful to the Jim Jones story. There were no surprises. I preferred AS ABOVE, SO BELOW which I caught last night. It went pretty off-the-rails and was a lot of fun.

6. woodenheart

woodenheart New Member

I usually dislike found footage films but a few have graced my comp screen that I really dug..

Willow Creek, 2013

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2885364/

After watching God Bless America and this, Bobcat Goldthwait knows what he's doing. I can't wait to see more from him.

The Den, 2013

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2503154/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

Kinda different. It's done through webcams and iPhones. A woman gets a grant to stay in a chatroom called The Den and talk to different people, well..everything goes terribly wrong. Some parts are amazingly brutal.I listened to a Q&A with the director, Zachary Donohue and I definitely hope to see more from him. This was his first film.

Exists, 2014

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1988621/

One of the best BigFoot films. Great looking creature.

The Lost Coast Tapes, 2012

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1740725/

A really nice twist on the BigFoot legend.

Who better to make the star of found footage films.. : )

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

While it was cold, snowy, and windy last night, I decided to recreate this viewing experience. Again, it synced up perfectly with the movie.

I really love this one. It's atmospheric, creepy, and quite possibly the most impeccably paced found-footage movie ever made. There's never a dull moment.

Would really love for Scream Factory to deliver a My Little Eye Collector's Edition blu-ray. It's Universal, and considering they license titles from them, it's possible. And apparently the UK disc has a ton of stuff that never made it to the US DVD.